Karak Ghulg - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karak Ghulg

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Karak Ghulg

Where is Karak Ghulg??

I'm not new to fantasy, i'm pretty into my back ground. But in the new WoC book they mention Valkia decending upon Karak Ghulg, the northern most stronghold and destroying it.

I thought the Northern most strong hold was Karak Dum.
    I have NEVER heard of this hold before. Have they just made it up???
    I can't find it marked anywhere on any map

Am I going Bonkers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

It's probably a newly made one. The fact it was destroyed would suggest it wasn't important enough for them to keep it in the background. They do this sort of thing from time to time.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on the name, I assumed it was a Chaos Dwarf stronghold.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Chaos Dwarfs you say??? hmm maybe........ Perhapse they're making Chaos Dwarf fluff up before the Book? Although they'd have said Chaos Dwarf rather than Dwarf though wouldn't they? Would they?

hmmm, maybe your right. Maybe it wasn't important enough. But it's not like it would have been an anciant lost hold lost in the mists of time. Valkia has only been around for 1000 or so years. With Dwarves thats like a week last wednesday.

Silly confusing games work shop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also say that it was probably Chaos Dwarfs for a couple of reasons: 1) the name as was pointed out it sounds more like a Chaos Dwarf name than a Dwarf one 2) if it was an actual Dwarf hold that was destroyed then it would not be forgotten as that is the sort of thing that Dwarfs are not likely to forget about, instead there would be a few pages for Valkia in the book of grudges.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Chaos Dwarfs do not live within the World Edge Mountains, if they did they would be under constant assault from the dwarfs. And the reason why it is not mentioned in the dwarf fluff, is simply because its a new character and the dwarf book is quite old now. GW just generally do this sort of thing to give characters a history.

As a matter of interest, why does this name sound like a chaos dwarf one? What kind of name would you associate with them, rather than with dwarfs?

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since he said that it was supposedly the northernmost hold and that made me think that they meant it was further north than Karag Dum which would put it in the chaos wastes; and you may be right about the name I was leaning toward chaos dwarfs as Ghulg just sounded kinda odd for a dwarf hold but if it was a chaos dwarf it would not have Karak in front of it so I got that part wrong I think. Basically when he said northernmost I immediately thought chaos wastes and as I said Ghulg sounded kind of weird to me so they made me think of the chaos dwarf idea; it was more the chaos wastes than the name that made me lean that way though.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Hmmm, Well i'm glad it's not just me who's never heard of it. Maybe it wil get a mention in the new Dwarf book. Who knows.

Cheers for the posts though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotrek and Felix?

In the Gotrek and Felix novel Daemonslayer there's an old forgotten dwarf hold with still living dwarfs which probably gets overrun when Gotrek and Felix barely escape. not sure if it's the same name though. But its position is deep in the chaos wastes so this could be it I suppose. I'll check my own copy when i'm home.
    "Stand fast, for the honor of your Clan"

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

That one is Karag Dum

I'm pretty excited when the new dwarfbook finally comes out in a year or 2, 3, new fluff!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast