I'm a magic man, I have magic hands. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

I'm a magic man, I have magic hands.

As I still indecisively wonder between Tomb Kings and Dwarfs (this month, leaning heavily on Dwarfs, though those skellies still have their charm (easier to paint)), a thought has occurred to me that, coming from 40k, I'm entirely inexperienced to that foreign phase known as "Magic."

Tomb Kings magic is, well, pretty straightforward, get as much as you can to keep your army alive, and oh, look, dispel dice!

...with Dwarfs however, I'm finding it a bit more worrying to invest into antimagic given how it doesn't really offer extra benefits aside from dispelling. That is to say, while I could give out magic resistance banners to everyone that can pack them like candy, I'm unsure if I should...

Searching around, basically the best I can see about Dwarfs and their little mentioned runesmiths is, well, in this thread...

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...esistance.html (magic resistance)

...which seems to paint a dire picture of Dwarfs overwhelmed by vicious magic heavy armies. Mind you, I only seem to find just one thread about that (well, I'm sure I could find more, but seeing how that one was dredged up from 2008...), so I'm musing that maybe, just maybe, I don't need to worry too much about magic heavy armies, or I should, just that they're not all that threatening compared to, say, other armies out there...

So! After all of that muttering, it is my intention to go for a melee heavy Dwarf force, with gun support where necessary, Dwarf Lord, BSB, all that fancy stuff... Figuring 2.5k is the average game played, so 2 characters to work with.

It is also my intention to have an allcomers list, seeing how intentionally making a list to deal with a single person isn't really that sporting unless if I give them advanced warning, so yes, while I could go anti-magic heavy against a magic heavy army, not terribly thrilled with the idea of doing so...

...so in spite of the doom and gloom offered in that thread I dredged up, is 6DD still versatile in the warhammer world? Could I risk going with 4DD with the cheaper magic resistance runes and banners to bring along the more CC capable thanes? Will taking magic lightly have me absolutely dominated by the magic heavy armies, or will dwarven steel and leadership be able to overcome such adversity?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Dwarves have some of the best antimagic in the game! (Note: My TK list runs 5Ddice, 0Scrolls, and has a Casket. It does just fine)

Dwarves have a large advantage at low points, in that you dont need to pump points into a scroll caddy.

At 2K, you have things like runesmiths and the rune of balance (which is like +2Ddice really) as well as MagRes widely available lol.

Akrys post ois very good, listen to his wise old () words. But understand that 7DD and 2 Scrolls is pretty good in general Well above army average...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Ah, so... I could probably get by with a single (though, really essential runesmith...)

...that... or two combat smiths... hmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a 2.5k game I bring a dwarf lord a BSB and 2 runesmiths. Each runesmith has a rune of spellbreaking. One has a master rune of spellbinding and the other has a master rune of balance.

This gives you 6 dispel dice base with a +1 to all rolls and steals a power die to use as a dispel. There is also a rune you can put on your bsb that makes all dispel rolls +2 and can combine with the master rune of spellbinding to give you a +3 to all dispels. It's very effective against vampire counts and other armies that use alot of low value spells. I personaly prefer to put armor and weapon runes on my BSB however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have played dwarfs and usually go all out artillery with an anvil of doom if i can fit it in

use an anvil to your advantage (cant dispell i believe) to kill his magic users...

then just mow em down with organ guns and sponge up his attacks and win with dwarven toughness and durabilty
    AVE SATANAS! TK 3k army (W/D/L)(2/1/0)

+ Reply to Thread