LO Guide to the Khazalid. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Royal_Marine_Machine's Avatar
    The Room Next To Wolf Lord Herby/Nottingham
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

LO Guide to the Khazalid.

Hey, the Dwarf Glossary discussion has lead me to think that we, the LO dwraf community, should do a Easy to understand Guide to the Khazalid.

The Khazalid is the Dwarven language for anyone who doesn't know.

It would be great if a few people worked on this, and each person does a different part.
    Here's a good guide to the khazalid:
    Khazalid - HammerWiki, the Warhammer Online wiki - Zones, quests, guilds, and more
    but i still think we should make our own, simpler version.

I'll do the suffixes, or the signifiers.

There are nine(9) different signifiers:-
    -az
    -ak
    -ar
    -en
    -i
    -al
    -it
    -ul/kul
    -ha

Each one makes the "Root Word" mean something different, similar to the Suffixes -ing and -ed in the language of men.

-az means that the word means a physical thing or place. Dwarfs however, think that things of importance, such as Challenges, and large grudges, are also solid nouns and use this signifier.
    -ak means that the word is an abstract concept such as Happiness, Anger, or chivalry.
    -ar means that something that is indefinate, such as the endless war, or the passing of the days.
    -en Something that is happening now, but not indefinitely, similar to the Human suffix -ing.
    -i means a specific person, or group of people, such as a king, country, to engineers.
    -al means an informal group of people, for example Dawal means a group of dwarfs, but not a specific group of dwarfs, such as a group of dwarfs in an inn.
    -it can either mean a noun is of little importance, or can turn a noun into a verb. You can tell the difference by deciding which usage would make sense in the context.
    -ul/kul means "The art of" or "The mastery of" the noun. for example "Angazal" is the mastery of ironwork.
    -ha is the dwarf equivalent of an exclamation mark (!), or can turn a noun into an insult.
    So that's a Brief guide on the Suffixes. Here is a commonly used quote from an Article on the Games Workshop website:
    Ska = The root word.
    Something to do with thieves or theft, relating to thieves or theft.
    Ska + az = Skaz
    A thief in general. (Note that the extra "a" is dropped).
    Ska + i = Ski
    Thieves in general (plural).
    Ska + az + i = Skazi
    A specific thief; "the thief".
    Ska + it = Skit
    "Steal", the act of theft.
    Ska + ak = Skak
    The concept of theft.
    Ska + ar = Skar
    Stealing, in the general sense that people have stolen since the dawn of time and will continue to do so forever.
    Ska + en = Sken
    Stealing, thievery, a theft which is currently taking place.
    Ska + al = Skal
    Any specific group of thieves, such as one might see in the slums of Altdorf-- as opposed to a named organisation of thieves.
    Ska + ul = Skul (or possibly Skaul, Skhul or Skahul)
    The art or mastery of theft; the profession of thievery.
    Ska + ha = Ska ha (or possibly Skaha)
    "Thief!" Used as an insult, or to indicate that you have just realised you have been stolen from.

Last edited by Royal_Marine_Machine; July 11th, 2009 at 01:03.

+ Reply to Thread