Killing treehuggers: What should I use against woodelfs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Killing treehuggers: What should I use against woodelfs?

Im going to play a friendly match of 2000 pts against a friend with his woodelfs. Woodelfs work differently from other armies, with a lack of blocks and a surplus of skirmish units, so in oder to prevent a disgracefull defeat by being danced around and whittled away by arrowfire extremely slowly I ask you for a bit of advice what I should use against woodsies. We've never used magic before in our friendly matches ( I'm dwarfs most of the time, and we both don't really like using magic ) This is the list I came up with:

Dwarflord: shieldbearers, runeweapon with master rune of swiftness, rune of fury and rune of cleaving ( str 5 is enough against elfs ) , shield, rune of resistance, master rune of challenge ( Ill force them to charge on my terms )

Thane: rune of fury, rune of snorri spangelhelm, rune of cleaving, rune of stone, shield

21 warriors, shields fc
    21 warriors, shields fc
    20 longbeards, shields, fc, Master rune of Grungni
    10 quarrelers, shields
    10 thunderers, shields

20 ironbreakers, fc

organ gun
    flame cannon

Ive been practising with guessing range for the flame cannon and with the teardrop template I can get entire skirmish units in forests, the panic is nice too and just imagine those flames hitting his treekin, which I know he has the models for and most of the time uses. I've seen his woodelfs yesterday, we wanted to play the 2000 pts match but ended up doing a 2 vs 2 , 1000 pts each ( my dwarfs and his wood elfs allied ) for the campaign thats going on in the store, a 2 vs 2 match with swamps was planned to be played that day so after that we didnt have enoug time for our match anymore and decided to play it next time ( tuesday ).
    He's going to use wardancers, waywatchers, dryads and likely 3 treekin, wild riders too I believe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

I'm a bit of a woodelf player, and I must admit I don't know the dwarf army that well nor have i played against them very often, but I will tell you of the few things I have learned about the 2. Take it witha grain of salt tho, as I may not be entirely sure what I'm talking about.

1- any shooting that does not require a to-hit roll is devistating. . . I think that is the organ gun? should eat them alive.

2- watch where you place the characters within the units. . . Wood elves will often avoid the frontage and hit the flanks, so keep the characters on either flank and move them between the 2 as nessasary.

3 - you may want to invest more into shooting, as I can that a W.E can avoid your combat troops easily. Bulking up on shooting will force him to come to you as they really can't take heavy fire.

4 - a copter worked rather well against me before. it's one of the few things in the dwarf army with mobility, and thus you can use it to slow down the skirmishers as they make their way towards you (and blow them apart before they get to you)

5 - Wood elf magic isn't very potent, and going up against a dwarf he might forsake it all together. it's not very deadly, BUT treesinging can make a WORLD of difference, espeshally against a shooting army (move the cover where you want it)

6 - A cannon with a rune of burning (?) would be an insurance policy against treeman or treekin better than that of a flame cannong. . . . . Ok I've never seen a flame cannon used but str 10 flaming/magical cannonballs can 1shot the only thing in the WE army that is tough. I think that the High STR of the cannon, and the fact that you can make them count as magical (which negates forest spirit saves). . . and they do D6 wounds to multi-wound models right? I can just see this being more effective than a guesstimae flame template of lower str (I'm guessing it's less than str 5) and doesn't count as magical.

7 - Read over their book and try and remember which units are ITP and which ones are not. . . the ones that are ITP will flee your charges but can panic from shooting,the ITP ones will never panic but can't flee (so target them with your footsloggers)

hope some of this is helpful.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

it's helpfull indeed. Luckily I know more or less what he will use, and he didn't go for a treeman, I believe he has an elf lord with his wildriders. Flame cannons do D3 flaming str 5 wounds, and sadly I cant rune them up, but I think the template is better than the cannon which will hit one or 2 skirmishers max.

I'm gonna try to keep my combatunits as close together as possible so they can't be isolated and destroyed. Thats how wood elfs do it in the fluff and I guess its pretty much what they try to do on the battlefield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anvil of Doom.

It will keep the hippies immobile and cause significant injury to those potential flanking units. Bit risky, but that's half the fun....

....also the anti-magic benefits.

Flame Cannon I would swap for a Gyrocopter. It will give you an element of movement you otherwise would not get, march block risky units you want otherwise slowed down, and finally a str 3 template weapon against t3 elves is still very effective - more so as you don't need to guess.

Find a problematic unit, buzz around it march-blocking and laying a template on it each round.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

O, no I won't go anvil, it's after all a friendly match and the anvil would spell doom from the very start. He doesn't have any magic btw ( he told me actually, and we havent used magic all previous games ) . Im concerned that a gyro would just get charged by those skirmish units and smacked down. Against T3 blocks it would work because they cant charge me if I go stand behind them, but woodelfs are mostly skirmish.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Try Ro Swiftness instead of Spangelhelm on your thane. I think striking first agaisnt charging WE would be a nice treat. its what i usualy take on my thane. just make sure to sit him in an exposed corner of the unit so he almost guaranteed to get in combat.

I would drop a warrior unit for another shooty unit, preferrably hangunners. it still leaves you with 3 solid block units but vastly increases fire output. use them next to an organ gun to create killing zones. It also means you can cover all 3 main block units with the MRo Grungni.

This would also free up some points to rune up the Ironbreaker unit. I suggest maybe rune of slowness if you expect to get charged, or simply rune of battle for combat res as you dont have to worry about magic.

Consider adding a veteran with pistols to the units of handgunners as it means they get 3 attacks if not using a shield and can always shoot, even if moving, enough to drop 1 or 2 elves who think they go away.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

I've already played the match with him. Though he went with his Orcs & goblins instead, and I lost ( hammerers were pretty worthless. 1 maybe 2 could hit back every turn, and my lord got killed by a black orc warboss with a 100 pt magic weapon ( every hit automatically wounds, no armour saves, no wonder my lord died ) . But I will remember the pistols, they sound pretty good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Apologies for bringing this back up.

Just played Wood Elves last week with a Strollaz list (2 blocks 25HW/S warriors, 20 Longys, 15 slayers, 15 miners) and it went exceptionally well. With Slayers sat on one flank and the other one fairly well defended you can get right in their face before they can run and hide.

Also NEVER knowingly go up against Woodys without The rune of 5+ shooting ward banner (forget the name).
    Current painting project: 2300 pts of Dwarfs in 5 weeks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

I went up against a 750/750 beastmen/woodelf army against my 1500 pts of dwarfs and totally massacred them, they hardly got close to my artillery and missile units, and my blocks of warriors and longbeards marched forth and chopped all to pieces. Organ gun rocked this game. turn 1: 8 dead ungor and 1 gor, they panic and run back 12" xD nearly off the table.

I used 2 thanes, 1 runesmith, 20 warriors, 15 warriors, 15 longbeards, 10 thunderers, 10 quarrelers, 1 bolt thrower, 1 cannon and 1 organ gun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toughts on rare choices.

Organ Gun: Most of Wood elf units are Toughness 3 skirmishers, So organ gun rocks. 2 organs are better than 1, However no smart Welf player will come out of woods if they are still working.

Gyrocopter: Most of them are T3 skirmishers. Gyrocopter and it 's weapon will get some skirmishers probably not enough and it is easily charged, probably will have to run away. We should be smarter while playing with a gyro.

Flame Canon: Dryads, Wardancers, wild riders are immune to pscychology, therefore flame canon will not panic them. However, flame does double effect on treekin and treeman, that could be easily achieved with flame runed canon.

Try to bring a Grugni banner for 5+ ward save, it can save your game.

+ Reply to Thread