Lord set up - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lord set up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lord set up

Heya, Ive recently joined the Dwarven Throngs and set about collecting and loving dwarfs
    Set aside my reading list to read some dwarf books, and can happily say it was worth it

I've been wondering though; what are peoples favourite Lord set-ups and why?
    DO you like an expensive Lord or do you prefer to keep it nice and simple.

I have yet to actually play with and against Dwarfs so Im not too sure exactly what kind of nasty combo's are actually out there !

Khazukan Kazakit-Ha !

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Nice, simple, and effective for it's cost. I usually do that too with thanes ( masterrune of greomril, great weapon, happy thane )

Dwarf lord
    Shieldbearers ( always take those, invaluable )
    rune of stone
    Masterrune of spite
    Great weapon

(and maybe M.rune of kragg the grim and rune of fury for an extra attack, but it's a pretty expensive extra attack then. Or maybe the rune of adamant, T6 lord! )

226 pts. Str 6, 1+ armoursave and 4+ wardsave.( you have no idea how pesky magic weapons can get. A black orc warboss once killed my lord using a 'all hits are wounds, no armoursaves allowed' weapon. Granted, the weapon was 100 pts, and that warboss had only 1 wound left when my lord died, but still.. it really hurts when you don't have a wardsave. ) Always take a warddave when you got the points for it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

I like...

Dwarf Lord
    Shield bearers (Unit S3 = no killing blow & +2 WS5 S4 attacks in combat, useful in a challenge)
    Greatweapon
    MRo Kragg the grim (keep the GW abilities, so S6)
    Ro Snorri Spanglehel (+1 to hit, means your normaly hitting on 3s anyway so you now hit on 2s against any lower WS)
    2 x Ro Iron (5+ ward)
    & Ro Stone (+1 to your armour so you have a total of 1+ AS)

= about 260pts

Another combination i found worked well was,

Dwarf Lord
    Sheild bearers
    Shield
    MRo Alaric the Mad (no armour saves if i remember right)
    Ro Might (mite not be Might im thinking of but the one for +1S)
    2 x Ro Iron
    Ro Stone

= about 280pts

This guy has a 0+ armour save and 5 + ward, & 4 S5 attacks that allow no armour save. i preffer to use my other build but if i know im comming up against alot of heavy armour like chaos or knight armies this guy often makes an appearance. he is also very good at taking down hero level characters like bsbs who often for-go the use of ward saves in lue of a 1 or 2+ Armour save.

Now he may seem expensive but a dwarf lord should be a rock at the centre of your army and deserves to be kitted out. Unlkie some armies like daemons and chaos were you can afford to have your lord and characters running about tonking things dwarf lords act best by buffering up the units they are in and are around, hence "Royal Blood" special rule for hammerers.

When most armies are these days looking at spending close to 2/5 of pts just on character choices, dwarfs can have solid characters and still cut under 600pts, leaving pleanty to go around on your units.

Iv tried the cheap lord choice before, but to often the points i save on him to spend elswhere dont make that much of a difference. maybe a bolt thrower here or extra rank or rune there, but in the end, knowing your lord can bog an enemy hero down in a challenge and not have much to worry about will more often than not save the day.
    Last edited by saltrock36; August 27th, 2009 at 11:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont you mean the second build has a 1+ AS ? =]

Thanks for the tips on what you would take, I have to say I particulary like thebeardedones build. Depending on if i would have the points I'd love the +1 Toughness, T6 +1 AS +4 Ward, quite nasty, to put it simply
    Maybe MR of Swiftness just to add further insult to make it harder to kill him

Am I to guess that a Dwarf Lord should usually always take Sheild Bearers over an Oathstone?

Alot of people here like to use Nurgle stuff, maybe +5pts for Rune of Fire wouldnt go amiss =]

And i assume a dwarf lord is uslaly the best choice over Runelord and Daemon slayer, although I quite like Thorek Ironbrow =]]

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Even a dragon slayer is a better choice than a Daemon slayer 0o because he's 3 times cheaper!

Rune of fire is pretty handy, but if you want to put it on your great weapon, it will cost you 25 pts instead of 5. ( M. rune of kragg the grim )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Shieldbearers, Great Weapon
    MRoSteel, RoResistance, RoStone
    MRoChallenge

MRoChallenge is a MUST HAVE in my opinion. Coupled with attacks being limited to S5 leaving me with a 3+ rerollable armour save seems nice to me. 281 points is a fair old lump though
    Current painting project: 2300 pts of Dwarfs in 5 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see R.Of. Challenge being quite useful too; particulary against pesky casters
    Question, if you use it on a model with fly, must they charge the 20" or could the opponent opt to use their normal move value?

+ Reply to Thread