Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I just started a Dwarf army (actually, I just bidded on ebay), and I have a lots of questions concerning some technical aspects of list making.
1. From your experience, are 20 Thunderers enough or are 30 better ? I'm use to bows, so I really don't knwo how effective gunpowder is.
2. Organ Gun VS Thunderers, for around the same amount of points, which one do you use in a list with 3-4 Bolthrowers already ? By this, I mean, does +1 str, -1 armour save, 20 less points and smaller board space makes for unreliability, vulnerability to anti-warmahines/small shooting, -1 to hit and no stand and shoot ?
3. Magic defense heavy (400 pts spent) a must or simply Smith with 3x Spellbreaking ?
4. How many big block do you use ? 2 or 3 ?
5. Hammerers VS IronBreakers without a Lord in the list ?
6. LongBeards VS Hammerers ? Long Beards are core, and have a difference of 1 to their armour save but are immune to panic/re-roll nearby, and cost 1 less point doing so.
7. Lord, a must ? Or 2 Thane do just as good ? (my Lord set up reached 331 pts...)
I know some of these questions are answered by a matter of taste, but I've spent over 2hrs today figuring over 3x 2000 pts army list and couldn't make my choice on what to and what not to take...
The most important questions to me are #1 #2 #4 #7*
Actually, my base is 20 Thunderers, 3-4 Bolthrowers. Everything else as to be chosen.
Well as you mention, its all about taste. And in fact, most of those questions (if not all), will be answered, once you've had a few games.
I'll try and answer the questions, though remember that some of them is of my personal liking, so dont take them as a fact.
1: The minus 2 save modifier is always a great deal, though 30 is perhaps a bit over the top. Interesting nevertheless though. Why? At that number, and even 20, it gets quite difficult to deploy them.
2: 3-4 BT's is perhaps a bit...well I've never played with that many before But I've gone very fond of the Organ gun. Just remember, that its a war machine, and its not as reliable as the Thunderers.
3: I'd say thats the difficulty when playing dwarfs these days. Its getting difficult, to make an army which can withstand the brute force of the enemy and at the same time, deal with their cowardly wizards. In 2k game, I tend to use a single Runesmith with MroBalance and a rune of spellbreaking. And thats about it. The reason for this is that, I'll then focus most of my artillery, on the unit in which the spellcasters are hiding in.
But Im only speaking of this, because of the lack of my experience, with the anvil. Which is 0
4: The units of blocks should be > or = the number of shooting units. Thats how I get the best gaming experience.
5: Without a Lord? Ironbreakers, everyday. Why? 2+ armour save and can hold most enemy units. Hammerers are a cool unit, though, in my oppinion, they dont really shine unless they bodyguard their Lord. Just remember, they are stubborn now. With or without the Lord, which is a huge advantage. Even though we want them to use their big Hammers, hand and shield aint a bad thing. You can survive most encounters, with a 3+ save.
6: In every army I've ever played, Longbeards have always been a part of it. There is nothing more sad, than seeing your sturdy dwarfs, run because of thing like panic..In addition to that, they are not bad fighters either.
7: Well...its perhaps...a bit too much, but then again if it works..^^ The most my Lord has ever costed, is just a little over 300 pts. But I think he is worth every penny. Not only does he have some awsome stats, he always makes your opponent wonder. Should he try and face him with his strongest....weakest? Or just avoid completely. My usual build of characters, in 2k is a Lord, a Runesmith, a BSB and a fighter Thane.
I hope this was sufficient for you. Else I hope some other ale drinking dwarfs makes their input.
But as I said in the beginning, get some gaming experience, and see what works for you and more importantly, find out what you like to play with
Last edited by King Alriks Bodyguard; November 17th, 2009 at 10:18.
1) 30 thunderers is too much even 20 is. 10 is usually enough if you don't plan to play a heavy shooting army. thunderers are way superior to quarellers +1 to hit modifier and -2 armor save is difference maker. However 10 thunderer 10 quarreller is good.
2) Organ gun is Auto hit! that is Auto Hit! not many things are auto hit. In addition s5 Ap.. 4 Bolt thrwrs. are optional. nor good not bad
3) Sometimes a single Runesmith with 2 dispell scroll is enough. Sometimes a runelord with anvil and a single dispell scroll. That is usually what i put in my army. But sometimes these won't be enough for some armies. Vampires, Deamons, Skaven SAD's etc. But don't worry too much. Even Don't take a runesmith for 1000 pts
4) For a balanced army 3, 20 FC units + plus 10 models of slayers or 8 models of miners.
5) Hammerers everyday. They are stubborn. Will usually survive end of the combat whether there is a Dwarf lord or not.
6) Longbeards ftw, core unit ws5 s4 immune to panic make others rerroll panic. I can't find anything better. Old Grumblers you are the granpas i would like to have.
7) to customize heros lords too much is not good for us more troops are usually better. Dwarf Lord (which is born on shields Do not forget ) with a great weapon rune of resistance+stone. and master rune of challenge+rune of furnace) which is 235 pts, is good enough. if not put on a shield and some runed sword makes it 270, more than 300 is overkill.
My observation is whenever i have more cc troops in the game my odds of winning increases greatly.
in addition learn and use Gyro