Dwarfs Vs Skaven help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwarfs Vs Skaven help

Ahhh I will be fighting the skaven in my next game on the weekend, and I wanted to know if someone could give me some help in what to take or what might be good, to fight some things in the skaven army that he has.

The things I really need to know how to deal with is, the hellpit abomination, the screaming bell, and I will be needing half decent magic defence.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Numas View Post
    Ahhh I will be fighting the skaven in my next game on the weekend, and I wanted to know if someone could give me some help in what to take or what might be good, to fight some things in the skaven army that he has.

The things I really need to know how to deal with is, the hellpit abomination, the screaming bell, and I will be needing half decent magic defence.
    The hellpit is nasty.... what I suggest is a lot of cannons and bolthrowers, if you can take out the bell or the abomination it should cause a big enough points sink to seriously dent your opponent. Grudgethrower will be nice too. The new Skaven are tough, but if you know you are facing a bell there are plenty of steps you can go towards thwarting your opponent, e.g. a lot of magic defence. Definitely take Thorek to slow down his worst units...
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I was quite the Skaven player back in my day, I have not seen the 7th edition sourcebook so I can't really help you.

Off the top of my head, assuming that certain truths remain......

1) your regular Dwarf Warriors are very effective vs anything in their list (standard troops of course) up to Rat Ogres. You don't REALLY need to go all out and have Hammerers/LongBeards/IronBreakers in the same list, just one will suffice.

2) Slayers, lots of them. The Skaven have little in the ways of shooting save their war machines (more on that later) so chances are any Slayer will get to CC will stay for the duration of the battle.

3) WarMachines- Remember that the Skaven have infiltrators, so you need to be ready to deal with the fact that you may lose them. Skaven are more like to close and CC your crews in order to keep them from firing as while they carry some shooting weapons it is still light all things considered. The Grudgethrower is needed; if the Flame Cannon or the Organ Gun is still in the Dwarf List, take them. Gyrocopter.....not as needed although it can help (assuming it is statted where it has been in the past).

4) Rune- the Master Rune of Swift Slaying (if that is still there) is really good vs the Skaven, the first strike abillity always helps. If you have a multiple Attack person with it, even if charged he can break up the charge with multiple hits.

In 6th edition, RuneLords were more dreaded with the Anvil of Doom so you need to consider that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GMJoeSolarte View Post
    4) Rune- the Master Rune of Swift Slaying (if that is still there) is really good vs the Skaven, the first strike abillity always helps. If you have a multiple Attack person with it, even if charged he can break up the charge with multiple hits..

Now a days the rune name is Master rune of Swiftness

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Played the game yet? How did it go?

Against Skaven I'd load up on a lot of anti-infantry weapons, like a couple of grudge throwers and a flame cannon. And one or two bolt throwers and/or cannons to deal with all of those new nifty Skaven machines of war, the screaming bell, plaguefurnace and doomwheel.

If you already know your opponent has those models or would like to use them, equip one thane with the rune of might. It doubles your strenght against enemies with T5 or higher, so your thane will have str 8 and bash down the things.

lots of warriors and fill up all your hero choices with a couple of cheap thanes with pistols ( additional handweapon ) or with the runes of fury, cleaving and/or snorri ( works like a charm. 4 Str 5 attacks with +1 to hit. rolling 2's and 2's. ) to deal with the masses of clanrats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear that the new edition of Dwarfs, that the RuneLord using an Anvil of Doom can use a new rune that will hold in it's tracks units from even moving.

If that is indeed true, I'd go with that,and use it to freeze certain units that you don't want moving to stay in it's place.

I'd use it on whatever unit is moving the Screaming Bell as my first target, Plague Monks second, storm vermin third.....basically whatever seems to be the lynchpin of his assault on you, freeze them up on the spot and you can alter to the worst his entire battle plan.

Just expect everything he has to be fired and all gutter runners/assasins he has to be coming right after you.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

The rune of wrath and ruin. It does D6 str4 hits and the movement characteristic of the targeted unit is halved a turn. So if the enemy puts units right to do multipl charges you will not be able to prevent it. You can slow the strongest enemy units down though and by doing that buy more time to shoot at the enemy. If you combine this power with a marchblocking gyrocopter the enemy will go just 3" a turn.

GMJoe, time for the new book?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    The rune of wrath and ruin. It does D6 str4 hits and the movement characteristic of the targeted unit is halved a turn. So if the enemy puts units right to do multipl charges you will not be able to prevent it. You can slow the strongest enemy units down though and by doing that buy more time to shoot at the enemy. If you combine this power with a marchblocking gyrocopter the enemy will go just 3" a turn.

GMJoe, time for the new book?
    I'm slowly getting back into WH 7th edition....I have the 7th Edition hardcover rule book and 3 army books so far so it is not like I am not trying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Machine wise, 2 bolt throwers, both with Bracers of pistols engineer, runed with flame and one with peenetration, total 150 pts, 1 normal grudge thrower, an organ and gyrocopter, 340 pts, total 500 pts.

Magic wise 7th edition skaven is more formidable force, therefore i would suggest that putting, a runelord with an anvil will be better for you. In addition, you may put master rune of grugni on a banner to give +5 ward save to shooting.

However don't forget that new bell has almost %25 chance to deal d3 damage to machines in each ringing. there is nothing you can do to cross your fingers, when he rings.
    ----------
    In another approach, Bts still stays, without anvil with a runesmith and lots of infantry. you may try to break everything he had in cc.
    Last edited by deeyo; January 22nd, 2010 at 15:09.

+ Reply to Thread