Topic of the Week - Hammerers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Topic of the Week - Hammerers

Topic of the Week - Hammerers

This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Hammerers

How well does this unit do when compared to the other units available? Is it worth the special slot? What unit size and options do you take for them? How do you use them?

Discuss.

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are hammerers worth it in 1000pt matches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will try and answer your question and the thread at the same time, this is all just my opinion of course. When i first started playing i took hammerers in every army i used as there were amazing and ive had many a good time with them, but now as ive become more experienced im starting to use ironbreakers over hammerers below 2000 pts. In a 2000 point game though, i always take a lord on shieldbearers and stick him in a unit of 20 hammerers and they very reliable and can sometimes turn a defeat into a victory by themselves. Being stubborn and immune to fear and terror is wonderful especially as i play a lot of undead (automatic flee is gay). At the moment my 1000 point army has 20 ironbreakers instead of hammerers and my 2000 point army has both units.

I think that hammerers are definetely worth the special slot and are perhaps the best special there, but you need to be prepared to lose a lot of them, as they strike last and have a 5+ save, but thats y they r stubborn. For this reason i think they should be fielded in units of 20 or absolute minimum 15. IMO the shields are a very worthy upgrade giving a better save against missile fire and also giving u a choice in combat of having S4 and a 3+ save or S6 and 5+ save.

I use my hammerers as a sponge against the enemies heavy cav if i can. Where they charge and kill 5-10 of them, i hold and then in subsequent combat rounds grind them down with S6 -3 until they flee or die. This way their dangerous heavy cav spend the whole game fighting one unit that is realtively cheap compared to them while the rest of my army is off winning the game (hopefully). As i said before, however, i am liking ironbreakers more and more as they are destroying nearly every unit they come across whilst suffering minimal casualties themselves. sry for that massive slab that probably doesnt even make sense, i did rant a little bit...
    Last edited by Turtle Master; June 9th, 2010 at 11:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm i tend to agree. I use ironbreakers in games of under 2000pts and hammerers once i have a Lord on shieldbearers. With the amount of fear causing troops in 7th the immunity and stubborn is invaluable. The stubborn on the hammerers makes them a better anvil unit than ironbreakers (with lord) and they have the 2h option also. Ive even been charged in multiple flanks, had my hammerers whittled down to 2-3 models and the Lord then won a round and forced my opponents to flee. the look of frustration on an opponents face when he watches his 2-3 units bogged down for 3 turns is priceless.

Having said that looking at the changes to 8th may change things. iron breakers no longer 2+? i think....fear no longer so causes autobreak (oh the number of times my ironbreakers have rolled 10 for fear...grrr...) and two handed weapons becoming much more necessary as combat just became more deadly and casualties are removed from the rear rank. I'm honestly not sure what i'm going to prefer using, although with the lessening on restrictions for special units in a 2000pt game i'll probably run both. An Oath stone thane with ironbreakers to hold objectives and a lord hammerer unit to take go on the offense. Probably with a 30 strong warrior unit between them with the BSB. But thats just thinking before i've seen the 8th rulebook and errata. It may be time to start thinking anvil again as most of my army will be in range of battle standard for rerolling 9 leadership and shouldnt need the 10 from the lord....

Sorry im digressing. In 7th ed for low point games, 1000pts and less, id still recommend the ironbreakers, if not for their armour save then simply for the fact that they look great! Over 1999pts id go with hammerers simply for the stubborn and immune to fear and terror. Only one armour save worse and better special rules.
    Last edited by furstenburg; July 3rd, 2010 at 17:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally i use mostly ironbreakers and lord goes in that unit. So if the enemy manages to kill even one of them, my lord will take care of the battle. So i use them mostly as shielding.
    Whereas hammerers, they are good only at attacking (S6 + WS5). But for bashing...no sir. I had a unit of 25 hammerers accompanied by my lord and they lost the battle against 25 eternal guards (WE army). They hold for 3 turns yes...!But if it use for ironbreakers i think that they should hold for the entire game!If not winning.
    But i use hammerers with the rune of slowness, to cause failed charge and to charge with GW (i am still playing 7th ed.).And i put the rune of stoicism on ironbreakers!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

hehehe, well you'll be happy to know that in 8th edition hammerers maul just about everything they touch.

even though you only get a 5+ armour save a strike last hammerers will pretty much oblitterate everything in base to base contact once they start swinging

had my 1st two games of 8th edition last night and the hammerers (18 + full command and GW lord, no banner or shields) were the real stars of the show eliminating a vampire lord + grave guard bodyguard in one game and then taking out a 50 strong skink/kroxigor unit (4 kroxigors) which was being led by a cold one mounted lord.

toughness is definently a deciding factor this edition and the ability to bring a stubborn S6 trooper seriously shifts the balance in our favour. sure we strike last... but unless the unit has been torn apart by shooting all game that unit is going to reach combat with enough attacks to pretty much crush everything in its path

if you have a lord in your army? take hammerers. its worth every point

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

+ Reply to Thread