So the 8th ed test games. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

So the 8th ed test games.

What scenario were yours? Are they the same at every store?

I must say having successfuly defending the brewery and charging 12" with my dwarves I love the new ed The downside is that huge squad of goblins REALLY hurt throwing out so many dice. But then again. Plonking the cannon shot wheever I like, then bouncing it through a huge unit of goblins was also incredibly fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I haven't played a demo yet. I hoped to play one last tuesday, but apparently what it says on the GW site "demo's starting from june 15th" is only for the UK

How exceedingly lame.

All we have so far is the rulebook open on a page in the cabinet. The staffmembers now all have their own copy of the new rulebook though. The staffmember present had to ask the manager wether they would be playing demo's any time soon.

I'm making adjustements to my list though. I heared ALL cannons are D6 wounds ( which sounds awesome, finally trading fire with an empire cannon can be done effectively without being lucky enough to roll a 5 or 6. But I am considering swapping my cannon for a grudge thrower with rune of accuracy and penetrating, I will have to test that.
    And I have bumped up my longbeard unit from 20 to 25, I'm converting an additional 5 right now

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

I must say the cannon wecked those goblins. But by the sheer number of them even killed as many as it did (killing on two is niiiiice) it didnt stop them throwing out over 20 dice in combat. That said, placing the cannon ball where u want to is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all cannons D6 wounds =O!?? AWESOME.. Old Toddy will be blowing some minds once more! but God, NO more bolt throwers then
    "Stand fast, for the honor of your Clan"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Thane Kandor View Post
    all cannons D6 wounds =O!?? AWESOME.. Old Toddy will be blowing some minds once more! but God, NO more bolt throwers then
    Bolt throwers are cheaper and never misfire. Ever. They are guaranteed to go the distance and are not subject to things that "wet" gunpower.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

And whereas a cannon is only reliable when it has the rune of forging ( reroll misfires ) at 125 pts, a bolt thrower is pretty effective with just an engineer for 60 pts. So 2 bolt throwers for a little below the price of 1 cannon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still, no autokill on chariots, no bonus for large target, means 50% hit or less, don't get me wrong, I like the BT's just think the Cannons is a bit more awesome with the new buffs =)
    "Stand fast, for the honor of your Clan"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thane Kandor View Post
    no autokill on chariots
    Just to clarify, that rule no longer exists. I'm actually not sure if there is still the large target rule either. Can I get a ruling on that?

But I agree with you. With the cannon keeping its S value throughout the unit, and with the new no-guess rule, a cannon can have the possibility to do much more damage than even a pair of bolt throwers. Then again it can also produce some nasty, yet awesome looking, fireworks when it misfires spectacularly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

The game is going back to true line of sight. So large target no longer means anything.

Even though guessing for a cannon is gone, you still place the shot then add your "artillery overshot then bounce. It's still and incredibly random weapon.

Bolt throwers gets twice as many opportunities to kill, and half the dice rolling involved to get rolling to wound dice.

Statistically, 2 bolt throwers will hit anything that isn't a skirmisher more accurately and even more accurately at short range. I haven't used a cannon in 2 years, I don't miss them. No misfire, no giving away 125 points first turn.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

I believe when you fire at a unit and there is another unit in the way you will get a -1 modifier, and that when firing at large targets you don't get that modifier.
    Still too bad the +1 is gone though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast