Runelords vs. Runesmiths - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Runelords vs. Runesmiths

So now that Runelords aren't fighting for space with a Dwarf Lord, they may be more worth a look.

Runelords cost twice as much as Runesmiths and can take twice as much stuff.

In my lists so far, I wind up taking two Runesmiths but the amount of gear I give them could be put on a single talisman for the RuneLord.

So question is - house the antimagic a single stronger body? Or split it up?

So far, he hasn't contended with a Lord for points albeit in 2500+. Then again, I field cheap lords.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the new (old) system is better than the way it used too be in 7th edition. For those more veteran players did anyone get flashbacks when they saw the new(old) way for army composition?

I think its better to take a moderate Lord and Runelord with a couple heroes than to take a points sink runelord in 2000 points basic facts
    a- you dont get a points sink anymore
    b - you can take more characters capable of gaining dispel dice
    c - runelords and dwarf lord are just freakin sweet so having one of each in 2000-2500 points where u used to only be able to take 1 is awesome for us

All we need now is to get that pesky 0-1 limit taken off the anvil of doom and ill start fielding 2 runelords and 3-4 runesmiths BAHAHAHAHA

but back to the original idea of the post i think that it depends on the size of the battle to be honest like I wouldn't take a runelord with anvil in say 1000 points but if i was up against like a chaos daemon army i'd rather take a strong lord like a runelord than a mess of runesmiths. but for heavy magic ie: elves, my orc and goblin army, chaos tzeentch, lizardmen with slann, i'd take as many runesmiths as i can and tank their anti magic only major advantage to this is the amount of space you can cover ie: 3 runesmiths deployed 12" apart will cover more area then a rune lord and 1 rune smith deplyoed 12" apart if you catch my drift lol

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SWAY View Post
    but for heavy magic ie: elves, my orc and goblin army, chaos tzeentch, lizardmen with slann, i'd take as many runesmiths as i can and tank their anti magic only major advantage to this is the amount of space you can cover ie: 3 runesmiths deployed 12" apart will cover more area then a rune lord and 1 rune smith deplyoed 12" apart if you catch my drift lol
    I don't catch your drift, as deployment has no impact on their capabilities. You can deploy them in a corner and the rest of your army in another corner and they will still dispell all the same. They give +1/+2 dispelldice, there's no range.

Runesmiths and runelords are both good options and basically depends on wether you want 2 bodies ( 4 wounds ) that give +1 DD each, or if you want 1 body ( 3 wounds, but with T5 ) that gives +2 DD. Basically the same and hardly different in cost, except you only need to buy protection runes for your runelord once and 2 times for 2 runesmiths. But then again if the runelord dies, your entire magic defende collapses.

Obviously the runelord if you'd like an anvil

I take a runesmith with spellbreaking & master rune of balance. It's been more than enough so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take runesmith with r of speelbreaking in 1000 pt games and a a runlord with 2 rospellbreaking in 2000 pt games.

E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Bearded one: I think i was going nuts and tired when I wrote that hahahaha I wrote it wrong I usually deploy them differently and spread out so the have more chance of dispelling and not getting stuck in the same place like that massive stone thrower template or that area affect spell heading straight towards you. Also most of my games these days are legendary battle style so I take both of my anvils to the field having 2 runelords in one place with 2 anvils BADDDDDD Idea. but yeah main idea Spread out so you preserve that precious dispel capability bahahaha

I actually just purchased another runelord model to use as a runesmth today lol thats 7 in the collection now and 2 anvils

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Interesting theory and tactic. The anti-magic is very good and strong with two runelords, but they're expensive when runed up. They're also not that much better than a runesmith in combat, so you need to be careful with them. Again, as Bearded said should you lose one of them, your anti-magic is drastically reduced.

I personally would still go for the dual runesmiths, the extra wounds and more dispel runes they can have between them make them more ideal to me. I am curious as to whether the Anvil can be used by more than once per army, I would still assume that that 0-1 for things like that would remain the same.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting theory and tactic. The anti-magic is very good and strong with two runelords, but they're expensive when runed up
    Not to say your wrong but kinda a rookie mistake that alot of veteran plaers even myself at times. I dont rune up the Runelords extensively. Ill up the WS or give them an extra attack and a good save or what not but I very rarely use up all the points I can with them. I usually take a runelord and 2 runesmiths with a slayer champ or Thane in 2000 points but due to the new rules I'm think i may take more or less depending on what im up against. I try not to take points sinks lol

+ Reply to Thread