Creating an army out of collected models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating an army out of collected models

Maybe this should be in the army lists section, but I wasn't sure, so I'll put it here.

After collecting dwarf models for quite a few years, I've decided to turn them into an army. I was thinking around a 1500-2500 points limit. If anybody has any suggestions on what units are best to use in an army, what options to take, and any particular rune combinations to give them, feel free to share! I'll list all of my colleted models here.

Lords and Heroes

Lord/Thane with sheild
    Lord/Thane with sheild and crossbow
    Runelord/smith with sheild
    Runelord/smith with great weapon
    3 Daemon/dragon slayers
    Master engineer with handgun
    Master engineer
    Thorek Ironbrow and the anvil of doom
    Josef Bugman

Core Units

12 warriors with sheilds
    12 warriors with sheilds
    12 warriors with great weapons
    16 longbeards
    16 quarrelers with sheilds
    13 thunderers
    10 thunderers
    13 rangers with sheilds and crossbows

Special Units

Cannon
    Bolt thrower
    Grudge thrower
    8 miners
    9 slayers
    12 slayers

Rare Units

Organ gun
    Flame cannon

(Not everything has to be kept as is; i.e, warriors can become longbeards, or quarrelers don't have to use sheilds)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntology View Post
    Maybe this should be in the army lists section, but I wasn't sure, so I'll put it here.

After collecting dwarf models for quite a few years, I've decided to turn them into an army. I was thinking around a 1500-2500 points limit. If anybody has any suggestions on what units are best to use in an army, what options to take, and any particular rune combinations to give them, feel free to share! I'll list all of my colleted models here.

Lords and Heroes

Lord/Thane with sheild
    Lord/Thane with sheild and crossbow
    Runelord/smith with sheild
    Runelord/smith with great weapon
    3 Daemon/dragon slayers
    Master engineer with handgun
    Master engineer
    Thorek Ironbrow and the anvil of doom
    Josef Bugman

Core Units

12 warriors with sheilds
    12 warriors with sheilds
    12 warriors with great weapons
    16 longbeards
    16 quarrelers with sheilds
    13 thunderers
    10 thunderers
    13 rangers with sheilds and crossbows

Special Units

Cannon
    Bolt thrower
    Grudge thrower
    8 miners
    9 slayers
    12 slayers

Rare Units

Organ gun
    Flame cannon

(Not everything has to be kept as is; i.e, warriors can become longbeards, or quarrelers don't have to use sheilds)
    You've got a good number of models here, shouldn't be hard to build an army out of it:

For the leadr of your army I personally like a lord on shieldbearers, and others like the anvil of doom.
    Thorek is the official anvil of doom model for all runelords with anvil, so you can use him. That should fill up the points a lot already, about 400+
    At the very least a rune of stone & shield for him for a good armour save. Rune of resistance with it and a rune of preservation to prevent him dying to the first assassin and presto!

A couple of heroes running around; I'd take a thane with choppy runic weapon ( Mine has rune of snorri spangelhelm, rune of fury and rune of cleaving for 4 str 5 +1 to hit attacks )
    Then a runesmith with some magic defence ( Master rune of balance, or a simple rune of spellbreaking, and then a shield and rune of stone for protection )
    And finally a thane with the army battle standard, which is a must in 8th edition as it allows rerolls for all leadership tests. A battle standard bearer will always need a master rune of gromril, as he is a big target. A rune of resistance and a weapon rune like rune of cleaving and you are finished.

For core just go with a big regiment of warriors; 20 to 24 with a full command.
    Followed by missile support in the shape of a unit of 10+ thunderers and 10+ quarrelers. Since you have the models for that you could take a second thunderer unit, or one huge one of 20.
    Also some longbeards. 20 is adviced so you might need a few more. Are these longbeards the metal ones? These longbeards can take the master rune of grungni on their banner to protect everyone in the vicinity ( and especially your slayer models ) from missile fire.

Special is pretty easy for you: A cannon is great, take a rune of forging and rune of burning and you're done.
    Take a bolt thrower with an engineer and rune of burning, also pretty much done.
    And take the grudge thrower with rune of accuracy, rune of penetrating, and possibly burning again! And done once more.
    So there's your artillery support, it's great you have all those different ones.

You've got 21 slayers, so why not use them eh? A big unit, with 4 or so giant slayers for added punch. If you want you can add one of your hero dragonslayers to the unit and you've got a pretty scary unit of orange death running around, that's great!
    The miners are a choice. Would you like them? If you want you can use them as warriors with great weapons, combine them with the 12 you have lying around and get a full unit of 20 great weapon wielding buggers.

Rare is pretty easy: organ gun. Done. The 8th edition errata screwed up the flame cannon, so it's not worth considering anymore, as it's range is extremely minimal and will most likely prove to be useless, much less make back it's points.

Let's see if you like something like that, and see how many points it would be. The anvil of doom would fill up a lot of points so I wont be suprised if you got quite a bit above 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks for the well-thought-out reply! Now, a few answers to your questions, and a few more questions.

Would you suggest using 1 or 2 units of warriors? I'm pretty sure that I'll need to fill up the points of Core. But, if only 1, then do sheilds or great weapons usually perform better on the battlefeild?

Why all of the Runes of Burning? THe last time I checked, flaming attacks only benefit against flammable or regenerating enemies. I would think that such enemies are rare, or are they more common?

Yes, the longbeards are the metal ones (My first dwarf unit!) Is there a difference between them and the plastic ones, or were you just asking out of curiosity?

Thanks again for the great response!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

a rune of burning is a cheap rune and makes the machine do magical attacks(because it now has a rune). highly effective against several armies (im thinking ethereals and daemons)

flaming attacks are also brilliant against units inside buildings: re-roll to wound.
    One of the scenarios (Watch tower) can be influenceed greatly by using flames.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

+ Reply to Thread