The Dragon Slayer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dragon Slayer

Hi all, I am new to dwarves and was wondering if anyone has had any success using a lone dragon slayer to hold up weaker enemy units - ws3 t3 etc. At the moment I mostly play my friends O+G army and have won all of our games so far mainly due to his in experience and bad animosity rolls and my awesome artillary. Last game I played combat heavy and still crushed him due to animosity and almost all of my missiles hitting home even though I toned down the gunline.

My friend learns quickly and in our next match I fully expect him to have devised a plan to take out my war machines or missile troops as early as possilbe. This will likely be in the form of locking them in combat with his spider/wold riding goblins. This is where the dragon slayer idea comes in. against a unit of 5-10 spiders do you think he would be worth it as a flank defender when kept close to some thunderers or quarralers? I did some testing and a unit of spider riders would hit on 4's and would on 6's when the spiders struck at the same time due to initiative, the goblins if the charge and have spears get s4 so will wound a little easier but I think even at 2 ranks deep he would only manage 2 models in base contact so 4 attacks? wheras with 2 axes I would get 6 attacks back with hatred in the first round, hitting and wounding on 3's.

What are your opinions?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

The lone dragon slayer has been used by many a dwarf player in the exact manner you described, to guard war machines. They do it quite well, being unbreakable with T5 and W3 they can hold up fast cav and other small units quite well. Most of these units will only be getting two models in base to base, as you said, which minimises the amount of attacks he'll be receiving. His attacks back will be decent and gives him a good chance of breaking the unit.

I would say try it, even if he holds up a unit for a turn, it might be enough for you to turn your war machine to count it (organ gun or grape shot via a cannon).

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this can work well vs orcs&goblins, but be carefull about pesky poison attacks for other armies, as you know we can give no protection to slayers, poisonous shooting or cc attacks kills slayers easily.

+ Reply to Thread