Dwarf Slayer army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwarf Slayer army

So a group of my friends have decided to start some new armies, two are choosing skaven and high elves, i have the storm of chaos book and am considering starting with a 500 point slayer army. Do you think it would be effective?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b"h
    The main disadvantage of slayers is that they have no armour at all. That makes them vulnerable, especialy to shooting. Beside, slayers are special unit and you have a ninimum requirement for core units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vynde View Post
    So a group of my friends have decided to start some new armies, two are choosing skaven and high elves, i have the storm of chaos book and am considering starting with a 500 point slayer army. Do you think it would be effective?
    I m sorry to say this but after what i heard the Slayer army for the storms of chaos book is no longer legal in official tournaments and GW events (if i remember correctly that is), but if it is just you and your friends playing around it should be fine as loong as they agree to it.

As for the general question, i love slayers and the slayer army in the storm of chaos book eliminates their weakness of having no armour by giving them the ability to take tattoes that can give them saves (also this is if i remember correctly).

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Well as long as your group is OK with that list being used, GW made all the lists from the SoC campaign defunct. So they are technically illegal. The slayer list was quite powerful, the doomseekers and the slayer upgrades made it a good list full of T4 unbreakable units. I would say you can make a decent list.

Quote Originally Posted by super sorcerer View Post
    b"h
    The main disadvantage of slayers is that they have no armour at all. That makes them vulnerable, especialy to shooting. Beside, slayers are special unit and you have a ninimum requirement for core units.
    In the Slayer Army from the Storm of Chaos campaign book, Slayers had their own slayer army list. It only had slayers in. So, he's asking about that list, and there are no other options other than slayers.

Kuffy

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

If your friends do not agree to it, or you want to use slayers in GW events too, you can easily build a list featuring primarily slayers. I made a quik proto type 2000 pts list from the dwarf armybook recently for someone on bugmansbrewery, and it went something like this;

Runelord or couple of daemon slayers ( runelord adviced, maybe even with the anvil so you can move all the slayers forward. Anyway, you need magic protection )

3 dragon slayers ( required to field multiple slayer units. +1 slayer unit per dragon/daemon slayer. )

A big core unit filling the 25% needed. For example 48 warriors with GW's.

21 slayers, banner musician, 3 giant slayers

Something like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for some of the tips, as per the list being 'illegal' it would be a small army just for fun mostly as i would use my WoC army for any competitions. Plus the guy at my GW said it was fine(except for tournies lol). I havent looked into specifics for the list yet but was just getting an idea.

Thanks beared one, possibly if the army gets bigger i will use your idea.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

thanks for some of the tips, as per the list being 'illegal' it would be a small army just for fun mostly as i would use my WoC army for any competitions. Plus the guy at my GW said it was fine(except for tournies lol). I havent looked into specifics for the list yet but was just getting an idea.

Thanks beared one, possibly if the army gets bigger i will use your idea.
    In that case, go for it! However, the army will not be cheap. All the slayer models are metal. I would love to see the army all painted and converted up.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Also, depending on the rules of any events you'd like to partake in you could use the normal Dwarf army lists but use Slayer models and conversions to represent your units. For instance you could craft a crown on a Dragon Slayer to make them a "counts-as" Thane. Things of that nature. Slayer models converted to use/have throwing axes could be your Quarrellers and Rangers etc. Your Ironbreakers could have very extensive tattooes, perhaps designed to look like armor. Things of that nature.

It would be one helluva project, but doable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darguth, i love that idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I'm not at all a regular in here in the Dwarf section, so I don't know if this is very old news to you all, but this link might be of some relevance to this topic:

Avatars of War website • View topic - Plastic Dwarven Berserkers preview (video)

Of course the mentioned guy at your GW probably won't like this solution at all

+ Reply to Thread