Librarium Online Forums banner

Close combat dwarf armies!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  The bearded one 
#1 ·
So I feel like everyone has the mindset that dwarf armies are not that potent in 8th edition.. I see lots of posts and hear lots of people talk about how the dwarfs just sit back and shoot until they can mop up the enemy

If everyone agrees then so be it! But if anyone would like to share particularly potent CC focus Dwarf army lists or tactics for being more aggressive with their bearded fellows please share them with me!

I for one think that Dwarfs can hold their own in combat with almost any army. They can shut down enemy magic phases, pack blocks of high toughness units, and have access to a TON of great weapons! Combining that with the war machines (to counter other war machines/ranged units) should make for a mighty 3ft tall army!... Right?

#2 ·
Myeh, they're all underestimating dwarfs or all have the ridiculously stereotyped image of a dwarf army in their heads. Dwarfs are a potent CC force. The dwarf elites are chaos warriors with 1 less armoursave and attack ( And ironbreakers have the same save. ) A dwarf army is perfectly capable of beating the snot out of an enemy, we simply prefer to whittle down the overpowered & underpriced units that other armies have that we do not, to make it a fair fight.

I've always wanted to try out an "in your face" list with as many miners as possible, and 2 big blocks of longbeard rangers ( yes, 2 blocks is possible without even 1 warrior unit )

Dwarf lord
rune of brotherhood
master rune of spite
rune of stone
rune of striking
rune of cleaving
rune of might
shield

thane
army battle standard
master rune of gromril
rune of resistance
rune of brotherhood

Bugman

runesmith
shield
master rune of balance
rune of spellbreaking

core:
30 longbeard rangers
great weapons
ranger upgrade
full command
throwing axes ( always nice to have str5 throwing axes )
rune of battle

30 longbeard rangers ( bugman allows an additional longbeard ranger unit )
great weapons
ranged upgrade
full command
throwing axes

10 quarrelers

( quarrelers for longrange support )

special:
20 miners
full command, steamdrill

20 miners
full command, steamdrill

cannon
rune of forging, rune of fire
engineer

2500 points

100 close combat troops that arrive within a couple of inches of the enemy, with 3 pretty good heroes. 40 miners arrive behind the enemy and are guaranteed to make a mess, and the 60 longbeard rangers ( horde formation preferred ) will charge the enemy or be charged, and will split skulls all around with their str6 attacks.

The quarrelers are there for a little bit of long range support, and the cannon can knock wounds off a monster, steamtank etc. The runesmith deploys with the quarrelers and tempers magic.

#5 ·
Don't worry, I do put thought into my lists ^^ Random600 is right. Bugman allows an additional unit of longbeards that does not count for the maximum number of rangers, nor for the maximum of longbeards.
Also, longbeard rangers do not count to the longbeard unit maximum, and warrior rangers do not count for the required minimum of warrior units needed to have longbeards. They stand apart from it.
So actually, you could take a 3rd longbeard unit that deploys normally, and that is the longbeard unit allowed by the dwarf lord. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.