Thoughts On 7th edition 8th edition adjustment - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts On 7th edition 8th edition adjustment

I like to tell a word, i like much, of my friend on the difference of 7th and 8th and adjusting yourselves.

If 7th edition is chess, 8th edition is backgammon.

That is;
    In 7th edition you would have a grand scheme, The game, baring some luck would depend how could execute your grand scheme and how it disables the oppenent's strategy.
    In 8th Edition you ofcourse should have Strategy from start. However from scenario choice to terrains. From Magic Pool to Charging dices, a lot of important things depend on luck or choices. It became more of a resource allocation game. Each step you have to think about your move and your next action, and each action you take, changes the next ones.
    Example1: Shooting phase in 7th you had to allocate all your guess shooters then shoot. In 8th you take them one by one in between with other shooters etc. Each shoot will change the other one if you miss/hit/kill.
    Example2: Charging Phase:
    In 7th edition you declared your all charges at once. Someone would hold someone would flee.
    In 8th edition
    Case A
    A game Turn 3 Your turn:
    You charged a unit with your warriors. you expected it to hold, It choosed hold. You choose to charge your Hammerers its flank.
    Case B
    A game Turn 3 Your turn:
    You charged a unit with your warriors. you expected it to hold, It choosed Flee! What would you do now? Everthing changed for your Hammerers. what will you do? Maybe run opponent's unit with gyrocopter, which you planned to charge to a warmachine, now it is in position ro run over?
    Example 3:
    In 8th You have designed your Army as a Shooty army, putted a general and Bsb, rest is machines shooters etc.
    The scenario came as Blood and Honor (Capture the standard scenario not sure about the name now) If you lose your general you lose the game, if you lose standard you will lose the game. Crap! the enemy is an empire army with lost of ground units and banners. How will you win? They will pound your standard or general with all of the force they have.

So as you see you are using what ever resource you have (dices troops, spells etc.) to cope with some immediate stiuation. Yes you have to have a strategy but have to adjust it every time you or your opponent takes a move.
    So get adjustted and pound them.

Last edited by deeyo; November 22nd, 2010 at 21:38.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I'd dsiagree that 8th Edition is any less strategic than 7th. I fact armies like High Elves need to play MORE startegically in 8th as you cannot just reply on wiping out the enemy's fighting rank and having a breather, due to step up. 2 ranks to missile fire makes missile troops a less than soft option now. Cavalry MUST get flank charges to be effective - anything else will probably result in a quagmire combat. Leadership counts for more, BSB and General leadership bubbles are important now that STubborn is essentially using General LD (being Steadfast at all times...).

The random charges mean you have to be damned sure that you charge cleanly. And its not significantly different to the way that charging happened in 7th apart from how far you travel. As for missile fire, unles syou played all warmachine armies, the way shooting happens now is very little difference to how it happened in 7th, apart from the elimination of guess ranges and the allowable pre-measuring.

I think that 8th presents more interesting challenges, and allows grand plans but puts them at greater risk. No plan in 7th survived contact with the enemy. Plans in 8th might not survive contact with the battlefield!!

Like in real warfare, the big battalions rule, but they are also unwieldly, prone to snagging terrain, and are only a single activation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 8th is even better than 7th. No more 5 man cavalry units running down 30+ guys. No more Lord on a dragon running down an entire army. Things are as they intend, support, while doing massive damage. Overall, I think 8th is very balanced and 7th was all about having 4 lvl 2 wizards and a super uber general and 5 units of 5 cavalry.
    Why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To clarify i am not telling that 8th edition is not strategic. Step up rule, positoning yourselves according to flank charge, steadfast is part of the strategy. As it was before in 7th edition this has not changed you plan accordingly, so It is strategic but;

Lets turn back to Backgammon/chess metaphor. Backgammon has dices, you would have strategy, like attack and open play, evasive and defensive play. But each time dices are rolled and or a checker is moved you have to adjust your strategy. It is more like this in 8th edition.
    Chess has pieces. You start from your strategy, sicilian defense, english openings, even something unexpected happens you try to stick to it with some variants. 7th edition similar to this than 8th edition.

That is what i am trying to tell.
    Last edited by deeyo; November 22nd, 2010 at 21:39.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I can agree to that.

At times I found 7th to be playing chess with only queens. Fear and mini shock units of 5 knights or 10 elites would charge and tear apart a normal unit, overrun, and go to the next. In hindsight It was rather ridiculous to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the erratas, i couldn't find reference to this but i was wonder if we lost any of our magic defense jumping from 7th to 8th. did we?

for example, when dwarfs team up with an army that has a caster, do we lose our +2 dispel dice for being dwarfs, or just the +2 to dispell attempts for not having and friendly casters?

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

We don't have +2 dispelldice anymore at all.

All we have is +2 to dispell attempts. This bonus is lost when somehow there is a wizard on the dwarf side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

turns out i have been cheating my friends... lol
    so does that make The Empire (more or less) have the same dispelling capablility as Dwarfs with thier warrior priests?

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Maybe. Dwarfs get +1 Dispel dice for each runesmith, +2 for the runelords. I believe very much like the Warrior Priests do. However, Dwarfs get the +2 to dispel, making them still better than the priests.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7th edition was all about SCR for the dwarfs. That, and a Gyro/Anvil block to slow everything down, while castling in the corner.
    In 8th edition, dwarves are now a combat race. GW hordes are great, same with hammerers. Rangers can roll over an opponents line. These two troop types were rarely used in 8th, but are very good in 8th.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast