GYROCOPTERS: Why the Negative View? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GYROCOPTERS: Why the Negative View?

Hey beardlings and longbeards alike, new dwarf player here, I've been recently puzzled by a lot of statements i've heard recently that basically go thus, "Do not take Gyrocopters!" and i was hoping to fully understand why. I've looked up the rules, cross referenced with eighth edition and it just doesn't add up.

So what i'm asking is this: Why are they so disliked in Eighth? As Far as i could tell, they were staple in Seventh? they are quick moving, have a solid little gun they have access to, Swiftstride (as a flyer) and enough oomph to attack warmachines and small cavalry units without fear of retribution, and with the new errata (As far as i can tell, anyway) they can even bait and flee like proper Fast Cavalry and Flyers. What am i missing or am i just reading the rules a bit wrong?

Thanks for any heads up for this matter :-)

I assume Morgan Freeman is the voice of the Emperor.
    My Painting Log! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...nes-horde.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I wouldn't say not to take them ever, they can be pretty fun and rather handy for support charges ( let's say they charge into an existing combat and charge into the enemy's rear. Thats +1 for charge, +2 for rear and maybe even more combat resolution for the wounds it causes ) but they have been limited quite a bit.

Because GW either forgot us or purposely doesn't errata it, the gyrocopter is the only template in the game that still has 4+ partials.
    Also, you can not march and shoot it, only move 10" and shoot it.
    In 7th it was used to marchblock people, but now that is nearly impossible because it requires the enemy to take leadership tests which can be rerolled with a BSB.

It's still very tough, its steamgun can sometimes prove to be handy and it's decent enough in a fight to kill warmachine crews, but it could have been a lot better.

4. Thankstanfew thanked for this post.
    Liketanfew liked this post.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird i thought when it described Template weapons that it says they take wounds for all models under it, in the Rulebook. Can't cite that exactly though as i don't have it here on me, on holidays lol.
    I assume Morgan Freeman is the voice of the Emperor.
    My Painting Log! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...nes-horde.html

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

In the dwarf armybook the gyrocopter entry ( still ) says that models fully under the template are hit, and models partially under the template are hit on a 4+. This is an armybook rule, so trumps any BRB rules and GW has not errata'd this rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    I wouldn't say not to take them ever, they can be pretty fun and rather handy for support charges ( let's say they charge into an existing combat and charge into the enemy's rear. Thats +1 for charge, +2 for rear and maybe even more combat resolution for the wounds it causes ) but they have been limited quite a bit.

Because GW either forgot us or purposely doesn't errata it, the gyrocopter is the only template in the game that still has 4+ partials.
    Also, you can not march and shoot it, only move 10" and shoot it.
    In 7th it was used to marchblock people, but now that is nearly impossible because it requires the enemy to take leadership tests which can be rerolled with a BSB.

It's still very tough, its steamgun can sometimes prove to be handy and it's decent enough in a fight to kill warmachine crews, but it could have been a lot better.
    Yeah, it hasn't been nerfed as much as the flame cannon, but still has quite a bit. March blocking is a forgotten tactic (for the better!), and the flippin' steam gun counts as only partials, still, even though GW has errata'ed every other armies templates to "no partials, auto hit". Is a S3 too strong for you GW?

And TBO, I said you referred me when I registered, don't know what that does, but yeah.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wagg View Post
    And TBO, I said you referred me when I registered, don't know what that does, but yeah.
    No idea either Welcome to Librarium-online

+ Reply to Thread