The Future for Runes. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

The Future for Runes.

Hi all,

This may be a far off in the future, but having seen the mass culling of magic items from the latest swathe of army books, is anyone else concerned about the future of our Runes?

Now i know Runes work differently to magic items, giving Dwarfs a nice flavour with the lack of magic, and there are a few Runes which i wouldnt realy miss, but i fear there is the chance the GW designers could go a bit too far leaving us a very limited selection of runes. What could be even worse is if they made a few pre-runed items and open the BRB magic items to dwarfs, so that it brings it into line with other 8th ed books.

Now its just a little over worrying but what opinions/thoughts do you guys have on the issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

I fear that we will at least see a drop in the number of runes, this would already be bad. But if they make them normal magic items, then they ruin a part of the dwarf fluff. The runes are something that makes the dwarf unique.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by furrie View Post
    I fear that we will at least see a drop in the number of runes, this would already be bad.
    Why?

But if they make them normal magic items, then they ruin a part of the dwarf fluff. The runes are something that makes the dwarf unique.
    Here I agree - it would ruin some good fluff. But then, dwarfs had wizards back in the day......oh yes they did! They were no less "unique" back then either....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

141 (x3)

When you look at the number of magic items in the last two army books, you'll see they have a lot less magic items then before. If this continues, it will be logical that the dwarfs lose some and there for less options.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

You might lose some of the range, but I don't see runes disappearing. It'd be like taking away bolt-throwers from the elves or knights from the Brets!
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

The problem is, if they reduced the runes or made set runic items, then they would also have open up access to dwarfs to have the common magic items. Many of these items are just not applicable to the dwarf army - for example we cannot use any arcane items as we have no model with the 'magic user' abilities.

I think removing the rune set, or making set items would make dwarfs feel less special. They already lack magic, instead they have always had the ability to make unique and powerful magic items via runes. Making them like the other armies might work, but I feel would take a huge chunk of their character away.

Kuffy

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

It'd be like removing incantations from tomb kings!

Ow.. wait a moment...

I definately fear a great culling of runes, or rune magic all together, and being cut down to 8 premade items and acces to the common items ( a large part of which we can't even use ) but I hope the developers in charge have the sense to leave the runesystem, our unique feature and selling point, intact.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Lets just hope we get a dwarf player, and not just a gw dwarf fan boy to write the new book. I fear someone just given the project "rewrite the book" isnt going to grasp the importance to dwarf players of runic combination. Incantations removal you could see coming with the big shake up to magic in 8th ed, but with our runes i would say its 50/50 due to the equally dramatic shake up with magic items.

I've got to day it seems like the shake up is another money making venture, to ensure that players MUST have the brb (somthing that shouldnt realy be an issue except for the newest players), so that a truely workable army list cannot be created without the magic items in the brb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they take away the runes, they take away the variety the dwarf players can have with their armies. i mean, personally, i wouldnt go anywhere without my engineer with strength 7 handgun. he's killed everything thrown at him... i even modeled him with a rocket launcher... but if you stop me doing this by taking away my runes, GW, i may just have to go on the warpath.

or find something else to spend my money on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Varangian View Post
    i mean, personally, i wouldnt go anywhere without my engineer with strength 7 handgun. he's killed everything thrown at him... i even modeled him with a rocket launcher...
    A nice conversion but can you rune handguns?
    I believe runing fits only melee weapons only if you put master rune of flight in case you get only maximum of S6.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast