Longbeards Over Hammerers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Longbeards Over Hammerers?

Hi all,

Im sure there must be a reason at the back of my mind which i cant drag out, but why do so many people choose Longbeards with gws over Hammerers.

I personaly would rather have Hammerers, with a Thane BSB near by so if you need to you can reroll panic, which is the same effect as longbeards but with longer range, Hammerers are a point cheaper, and come with Stubborn. If you were going for Scouting Ranger LBs then i can just about understand why (except the masive points cost per model). If its just a matter of liking the models, i prefer the LB metal models anyway, but id rather have Hammerers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x3)

I always take a unit of 30 hammerers. Prefer them so much more and they always have my lord/thane with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

longbeards can be made from the dwarf warriors set and so are a lot cheaper than buying the metal hammerers

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

Fantasy, is not 40k. WYSIWUG isnt so stringent in fantasy. Until someone gave me a whole unit of hammerers still in blister packs, i was using plastic dwarf warriors with Great Weapons, with the weapon heads cut off and converted to hammers from the same set. You could even proxy with dwarfs, there is little reason to take LB on a cost basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^thats exactly how I'm going to make my hammerers. I use LB with GW over Hammerers because because of the lists I'm running at the moment. As is I need the LBs to fill out my minimum core (as I take them without an additional unit of warriors by also taking a Lord or making them rangers). I don't run both because the rest of my army is cheap missile units that pack enough punch to hurt everything the enemy throws at me enough for the longbeards to mop up. In an ideal world (ie if i had the funds) I'd replace my LBs with Quarrelers with GW and run them 20-25 strong as my core and throw hammerers in there as well.
    Dwarfs 24/12/2

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

You can and should have both. As you mentioned, clipping off the Axe heads and replacing them with Hammers is a piece of cake, and having oodles of Great Weapon troops at S4 is one of the major things Dwarfs have going for them.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

The Core Choice! I knew there was some reason i just couldnt think of. In fact thats the very same reason i used to take them in 7th ed more than anything else. In 8th iv just found that I would rather have more troops (in the way of warriors) and a uint of hammerers. The cost for LB at the moment for me is just to much, (at least whilst im running 2000 - 2250pt games at least). Until the cost is sorted out i will be leaving them out of my lists.

With any luck you may be able to upgrade any unit of dwarfs from the core section to LB if acompanied by a Hero or Lord option. That and having Miners drop bak into core will make Ro Brotherhood that much better, when you can make miners WS5 S4, its all good. Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you make miners WS5 S4 ?

Quote Originally Posted by saltrock36 View Post
    The Core Choice! I knew there was some reason i just couldnt think of. In fact thats the very same reason i used to take them in 7th ed more than anything else. In 8th iv just found that I would rather have more troops (in the way of warriors) and a uint of hammerers. The cost for LB at the moment for me is just to much, (at least whilst im running 2000 - 2250pt games at least). Until the cost is sorted out i will be leaving them out of my lists.

With any luck you may be able to upgrade any unit of dwarfs from the core section to LB if acompanied by a Hero or Lord option. That and having Miners drop bak into core will make Ro Brotherhood that much better, when you can make miners WS5 S4, its all good. Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

You can't. He's wishlisting.
    "The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster83 View Post
    How can you make miners WS5 S4 ?
    I'm pretty sure it was an accident, and he meant WS4 S5; which Miners do have.

Kuffy

+ Reply to Thread