Anvil of Doom: Is there a reason it doesn't get any love? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anvil of Doom: Is there a reason it doesn't get any love?

So my first army in fantasy is dwarves, and my favorite model (both fluff wise and in how it works) is the Anvil of Doom. While I was very excited to go out and buy one, my enthusiasm is waning as I have not seen many others here on the forums that even mention it, let alone are including one in their lists. Is the Anvil of Doom really that bad, or do people just think it is cheesy? If you do field one, do you recommend using Thorek or just a runelord?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

i think the anvil is great it adds a lot of power to any list, but the downside is that it is expensive for the price of one you can field a whole block of warriors or something similar(hammerers, longbeards ect.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I have an easy time justifying the extra cost in my mind since it adds extra dispelling power and gives options dwarfs can't get anywhere else (granting my miners a charge on the turn the come in is my favorite tactic in warhammer right now). I am not an extremely competetive player, but I worry that I am "gimping" myself by taking the anvil, especially with Thorek the way I want to. Is taking Thorek a waste? If so, what builds would you suggest to make taking an anvil a viable option?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a gimp because that thing will hardly EVER make its points back. The anti magic is available cheaper via Runesmiths. The only thing it's good at is first turn miner charges (cool but worth it?), making units move at half speed (most valuable IMO) and some anti magic (but as said, cheaper options for that elsewhere). Think about what you could take instead and compare its usefulness to that. You could have multiple cannons and grudgethrowers - WAY more likely to do something. You could take a block of elite infantry like hammerers or beef an existing one up - also - a far better option. The only thing you get with Thorek is an amplification of the reason why it isn't good and from most opponents - a possible thumbs down on sportsmanship or comp or w/e your area uses.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebeard View Post
    The only thing it's good at is first turn miner charges(...)
    Well, combined with Strollaz' Rune on a Battle Standard this can take the dwarfs (well, one unit of them or d3 if you wanna gamble on ancient power in the first turn) pretty close to the opposing lines (especially gun lines will be very worried when they only have one turn of shooting before the enemies are upon them)
    But even though I don't value units only about 'making their points back' (board control is also quite valuable but difficult to assign a points value to it) I do agree that an Anvil is quite a pricey option.
    It ain't easy bein' green... :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2 of these just cause I like the model...

I think anything under 2500 points and its a waste. I used to use it in 2000points just to get the 500 points extra (I used it with thorek but if I was up against hordes I'd get massacred

I haven't played in a while but I have to agree with the guys, for the points (And Money) you could take like 3 well kitted runesmiths, or a Runelord and Smith or 2 and get the same if not more magical defense, but you miss out on the anvil killy powers lol

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

I always take my anvil in games above 2000pts. If you know how to use it, sure, it may not kill its own points back, but with one damage ability its daft to think it ever will.

The times my anvil has got its points back is when its been locked in combat most of the game, either with a chaos Lord on jug who simply couldnt touch my rune lord in a challenge, or blood thirster with same problem. Eventualy my Rune Lord came out on top in both cases, but both games were draws, and that was becasue the rest of the army wasnt benifiting from the anvils abilities while im stuck in combat. Games i win are games where no one gets near my anvil at all, which leads me to the main issue with the "current" anvil...

It doesnt move. Once its down, its down. And your stuck thier for the whole game hoping no one gets round the back or your troops or comes on from a board edge, as this leaves you stuck, waiting to get charged (if the organ gun and wrath and ruin dont clear them out of the way in time). I can definatly see in the next dwarf army book that the anvil will once again become mounted on wheels or be given some form of movement. Maybe electrical floating like the dwarf war barge that can bee seen in some of the artwork in the orcs and goblins army book.

Remaining stationary in 8th ed doesnt work too well for somthing that is worth so many points and is often your general aswell. It currently onl works in an army with lots of war machines which force your opponent to come to you, theres no real option to take an anvil in an all combat force as it gets left behind.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by saltrock36 View Post
    The times my anvil has got its points back is when its been locked in combat most of the game, either with a chaos Lord on jug who simply couldnt touch my rune lord in a challenge, or blood thirster with same problem.
    I don't think runelords can accept a challenge when they have an anvil. That being said, I play dwarves often, and almost always they have an anvil. It is an annoyance, but not a crippling one, and I just usually ignore it.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the old model with wheels, so Im hoping it gets those rules back :-)

But sadly dont have a big enough force to run it yet, but going over the rules, and the problem with slayers been shot to pieces before they get there, wouldnt the extra march move meaning they get there twice as fast come in useful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

The anvil IS expensive, but I must say I get more and more impressed with how it does in battle. Last game I played (against new VC) I managed to halt his "bus" with all the killer characters, kill off other units with artillery fire and manage to mass charge the big and scary unit after a few wounds dealt with warmachines. One cannot compare its worth point for point, because it is not supposed to kill stuff. It is the tactical (and magical resistance ofc.) advantage it gives. Halting the enemy to gain favorable charges, speed up your own dwarfs to get a flank or rear charge or even just strike down smaller targets. I think it is a really good investment, though I would only buy it for games 2400/2500 and up.

I use it in an army with BSB, 3 fighting units (30+ hammerers, warriors and such) 1 supporting miner/ranger group(20~), and a maybe a small 5 man miner unit to disrupt enemy warmachines / speed-bump, 3-4 warmachine of your choice

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast