Dwarfs vs high elves+new vampire counts+ orcs and gobos Advice(Beardling) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Dwarfs vs high elves+new vampire counts+ orcs and gobos Advice(Beardling)

as the post title suggests i am going to be playing against some new armies that i have rarely played against and need some advice on how to overcome them or at least put up a good fight. i am a beardling so know few things about these armies. the battles we are gonig to be playing are roughly 2500, i have 75 warriors w/sheilds, 25 warriors with GW's, 60 miners, 2 cannons, 2 grudge throwers, 3 organ guns, a gyrocopter, runelord with anvil and some characters that can be used for runesmiths or thanes/lords and a BSB. im thinking the gyro would work rly well due to these armies having a lot of low T relatively low armour units. stopping thier magic will also be a priority i dont like being on the wrong side of a good spell. any help at all would be appreiciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as i a i understand it now. ( i could be thinking of last ed) but you can only take 2 rare units in a game under 3000 points so one of the organ guns would have to change.

Maybe make one of tho units of warriors into long beards. id suggest the gw warriors for st6 hits but you mite also wanna go on the other ones for st4 hits with the the hand weapons. while against t2-3 units like skeletons and gobos would be nasty. the only thing is the st 6 would great against grave guard and the black orks with there silly armor saves.

the miners coming in turn 2 with the charge are nasty as well. because with the anvil can let them charge the turn they come up. even tho the rule say that units in reserves cant charge the turn they come in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

those are just the units i own i have no intention of feilding 3 organ guns in 2500. i rly like the gyro but people are saying it sucks and i dont know why, its a template weapon so i think it hits everytihng under it and it flys!! maybe peeps dont like it cause its easy to kill? anyway ty for the advice any more from others would be great!!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Lo,

Basicaly you will want only one unit with shields these days if any unit at all. You want as many great weapons as you can get your hands on. The general concensus is that becasue we always strike in Int order, our int 2 means we will be going last 80% of the time, striking at the same time 15% and first 5% (roughly), so if we're going to hit last, we might aswell to it with +2 S from great weapons. Yes we will miss out on parry and +1 to are armour save but S3 isnt going to win a battle, and most combats are not thought through attrition anymore, but damage, so more damage is better than more saves in this case.

Gyro sucks because;
    1) if you try to march block, all an enemy unit needs to do is pass a Ld test, often on the generals Ld of 9-10, with a reroll if near BSB, and they can march anyway.
    2) you can be march blocked reducing your movement to 10" unless you pass a ld test.
    3) steam gun if im rite is not a template weapons as per the basic rules, but follows the template rules for itself in the dwarf army book, which gives partials...im pretty sure thats correct.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the thing about dwarfs is we can always march no matter what. its a special rule.
    and yes the steam gun is a template and with the new rules it always hit even if the template is only over a part of it.
    but he is right where most army's wont have a problem marching. tho you want that gyro in the flank ( or rear depending on the formation of the unit) to get as many as hit with it as possible.
    i normally wouldn't bring it because it cant fire if it goes over 10" in moving but hey its fun.

now talking about hw/s vs gw. i always go for the gw. hes right. almost always hit last any way. so the +2 str is just great. and if you want the extra armor you can still take the shield. you just cant parry with it but it does add the +1 armor. so 4+ armor is still OK. the only thing i cant think of that is gonna hit after with is zombies and lizard men. and if they have shield on there main guy they get a 4+ so str 5 is good to take out that armor.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gimp6667 View Post
    and yes the steam gun is a template and with the new rules it always hit even if the template is only over a part of it.
    That's not quite right. The basic governing rule of GW is Army book trumps rulebook. There have been at least two FAQs for the dwarfs since 8th edition came out, and nowhere in there has the Gyro's steam cannon been FAQ'ed to using the standard template rules. And so, it is still forced to use the dwarf book rules, which means that the gyro does indeed have partials still. While, for example, the flame cannon has been FAQ'ed to use the basic rulebook rules.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    That's not quite right. The basic governing rule of GW is Army book trumps rulebook. There have been at least two FAQs for the dwarfs since 8th edition came out, and nowhere in there has the Gyro's steam cannon been FAQ'ed to using the standard template rules. And so, it is still forced to use the dwarf book rules, which means that the gyro does indeed have partials still. While, for example, the flame cannon has been FAQ'ed to use the basic rulebook rules.

Kuffy
    i have heard the opposite while in 40k codex trumps rulebook, in fantasy rulebook trumps army book, this is why i am confused about what to belive about the gyro, if partials hits then its pretty useless but if its full hits then it will be worth taking. some say gryo works like a template weapon as per the rulebook others say it doesnt and it is the only weapon in the game that still needs partial hits(thanks GW!! ). well in any case i think ur right about not taking one because it will most likely be a big controversy if i play with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Gyrocopters, I have found the rules in the dwarf book, sound right to me, cannot find the bit in the FB rule book countering this, where abouts is it as I like to take them

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nigelboyette View Post
    i have heard the opposite while in 40k codex trumps rulebook, in fantasy rulebook trumps army book, this is why i am confused about what to belive about the gyro, if partials hits then its pretty useless but if its full hits then it will be worth taking. some say gryo works like a template weapon as per the rulebook others say it doesnt and it is the only weapon in the game that still needs partial hits(thanks GW!! ). well in any case i think ur right about not taking one because it will most likely be a big controversy if i play with it.
    I think it is generally accepted that army/codex trumps rules as those rules have been written specifically for that entry in that specific book. At the moment the gyro copter is indeed the only thing in the game that still has partial hits. Thus why few people take them now days.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

well in that case the gyro is definatly out any good ideas about good anti magic builds? i thinking of taking a runelord with anvil of doom with master rune of balance and a runesmith with rune of spell eating and rune of spell breaking, but i also need a good dwarf lord that can cut heroes/lords down in CC without my lord choices gonig over 625 any combos that work well?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast