Gyrocopters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gyrocopters

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Gyrocopters

In light of a dispute between me and Wolf_Pack in one of the recent threads, I figured lets get thoughts of this war machine.

So what's its uses? What can it do? And what's its limitations?

Its uses are few and far between TBH,

* March Blocking
    * Lone Character/WM hunting
    * Pursuing
    * Trap making

March Blocking

Obviously it's the most used way with the gyro, it's huge 20" move means it'll be behind units quickly. Staying right close gives it the ability to stop units marching and thus giving your artillery more time to knock off ranks for combat, also the gyro can help here; the steam cannon stands a chance of knocking a few down. The enemy have to decide a few things - Turn and fight it, thus wasting a turn or ignore it and how the shooting/magic can down it. If they turn that's a turn wasted and the gyro can just fly over and past them, if they ignore it they're crawling towards your blasting artillery.

The downside being its vunerable. T5 W3 and a 4+ SV isn't much, a round of shooting with maybe two units firing at it could down it in a turn. It also has to be concerned about WMs, most allow no save and a single hit could spell it's end; thought it's crash could kill more than it was alive.. ^_^ Also fear magic or other flyiers.

Lone character/WM hunting

Another very good use for it. The steam template is most likely to cover WM crew and should easily get lone heros, the down side is that anything with good save or more than one wound is basically safe. This use of the gyro is guranteed to buy you more time and annoy the hell out of your opponent, and with the 20" you can be there in a turn or two; as well as get out of his LOS in a turn if need be.

Disadvantages are that it's not march blocking and its easy to take down. A single round of concentrated fire could down it quickly and effectively, not much use if it's a hunk of useless metal.

Pursuing

Another good use of the gyro, due to the dwarven stunted legs we can pursue a lot less effectively than other races. This is where the gyro comes in, two ways of doing it really; {A} You charge the gyro in when you think you're going to win (or as good as won): this gives you a good chance of breaking and catching them (3d6" pursue) or {B} Charge a fleeing unit with the gyro, if they don't clear the 20" charge (not all that likely) you will destory them.

Trap Making

Simple, the Gyro is a nice and relativly easy 100+ VPs. So a nice bit of baiting and you could draw units into a careful trap, also it has nice uses against frenzied units. The idea is quite simple really, you should need no idea of how to get this working.

So in general is the Gyro worth the points? I'd say yes and no, in certain armies its definatly worth it; whether it gives you that extra round of shooting or a turn of advancing without enemy fire it can be invaluable. The uses are of it simple and effective, but so are the ways to down it. All I can say is becareful, march blocking is all and well but you will be very exposed.

KU

(*Disclaimer - I have no real experience with the gyro, these comments are derived from other people's words and my small use of the gyro.*)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Although very weak, a skilled gyro pilot can request fire support from the thunderers to eliminate fast cav with missile weapons. The magic is also true, but being dwarfs we kind of soak it all up and it'S definitly worth it to waste a spellbreaker rune to keep this one flying. it's template is piercing, any units with armor from light to medium will sufer some casualties, as the template allows to roll lot's of dice, and when you roll dice, 1s 2s ands 3s will pop up. Especially effective Vs any elves and empire infantry, you can force your opponent to take is fast cav from the otherside of the board to come and deal with it (warmachines deploy last, so you have the advantage) and can take the down in the process too. (pistoliers aren't exactly well armoured).

You can also use it to march block your opponent's units going for table quarters that would normally outrun your stunties this can be critical in many situations

the T5 and flyer status will require constant 5-6s to hit and more 5-6s to wound, making it safe as long as you remain at long range from your opponent's missile troops, and if they are firing at it, they aren't firing at your thunderers.

all this for a wooping 140 pts. a really good investment.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    Especially effective Vs any elves and empire infantry,
    first im gonna comment on this quote, the gyro (something i use everybattle) is a useless waste of points against HE, because of their EAGLES (I HATE EAGLES!!!), dont even bother.

Second of which i use them as march blockers mainly, and i use them to weaken units with its steam, and then shoot the other units that im not shraying to weaken them, the choise you really have is two options

1. kill a unit outright, with thund. shooting, and gyro spraying, or

2. weaken one unit with sprays, and another with thund.

i choose 2, becuase then you are facing all units at 75% strength

P.S. KU this series of threads u made (Gyro, Miners, and Thund) are great, continue next with Rangers
    Mr. Burns: Why is everyone being so insolent today?

Smithers: Well sir, it is christmas...

Mr. Burns: I'll decide when its christmas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pink Panther
    first im gonna comment on this quote, the gyro (something i use everybattle) is a useless waste of points against HE, because of their EAGLES (I HATE EAGLES!!!), dont even bother.

Second of which i use them as march blockers mainly, and i use them to weaken units with its steam, and then shoot the other units that im not shraying to weaken them, the choise you really have is two options

1. kill a unit outright, with thund. shooting, and gyro spraying, or

2. weaken one unit with sprays, and another with thund.

i choose 2, becuase then you are facing all units at 75% strength

P.S. KU this series of threads u made (Gyro, Miners, and Thund) are great, continue next with Rangers
    the great eagles are a pain, but you can go around it, as the eagles will deploy before your gyro, simply force your opponent to go across the board to get to it.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats a really smart plan, but keep in mind that they get 2 for 100 pts, and you get 1 gyro for 140 pts. what they can do is put them in the middle, or put one one the left thrid of table, and put another on the right third of the table, now to anyone this might seem like a waste of points for the HE player, but remember they get 2 for a rare choise, and they're 50 pts each.
    Mr. Burns: Why is everyone being so insolent today?

Smithers: Well sir, it is christmas...

Mr. Burns: I'll decide when its christmas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pink Panther
    thats a really smart plan, but keep in mind that they get 2 for 100 pts, and you get 1 gyro for 140 pts. what they can do is put them in the middle, or put one one the left thrid of table, and put another on the right third of the table, now to anyone this might seem like a waste of points for the HE player, but remember they get 2 for a rare choise, and they're 50 pts each.
    try using crossbows to get to them, as the range 30 gets you to them on turn 1 and 2, 3 wounds shouldn't be that hard to take when it gets a little closer. line up your thunderers in diagonals to prevent it from gaining a clear flank, force it to the center.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the gyro is well worth its point, especially versus weak enemies lik skaven, elves or even empire. I remember once that my gyro got near the flank of an unit of 16 dark elves crossbow in round one , killing 5 and made them to flee out of the battlefield and as a bonus his assasin at loads of points were in it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

That's why assassin are the worst thing to use. I especially love it Vs Skaven, gets those annoying worsthless slaves out of order.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

+ Reply to Thread