So I took my lads out to play - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I took my lads out to play

Took the lads out to play last night (see my Grudgeflingers army in the army lists forum). We met up with some stuffy Brets and thought they needed a lesson in manners. I happened to learn a few lessons myself and I thought I'd share them.

Pegasis knights need to be stopped. He took out two pieces of artillery with these bastards in the SECOND turn. Both pieces were well placed... enduring mountain blah blah and all that. Gotta find me a way to nix them.

Lore of Life magic is very bad. I shut him down for most of the game but one of his two damsels knocked an irresistible stone somethingorother on my organ gun and blew it to pieces. Note to Dwarfen players... let most magic hit your units. They're tough enough to stand it. Save your dispel dice for warmachines and to stop your opponents from moving in the magic phase.

At the end of turn two, the Bret player had destroyed every piece of artillery but one. Malaki Makisson stood firm with his two slayer crew and gave it to the pegasis knights. Eventually he perished but he bought me valuable time. Without a doubt, the goblin hewer is the finest piece of artillery available to a dwarven general. I had Malaki stand toe-to-toe with a slave giant the other day and take it down to one wound before dying himself.

So here's the thing... 2000 point battle. I lost all of my artillery in turn two (that's 600-700 points) and still won the battle. Moral of the story... just leave things to the lads. My four blocks of infantry took the charges from the brets, managed a flank and the brets started crumbling.

Also.... having a unit of 25 dwarves who cause fear is Unbelievable! So against cav my advice is, stock up on troops. Take it in the front like a real Dwarf should and watch their subsequent piddling strength 3 and 4 attacks bounce off your armor while you beat them in CR.

Even for the best cavalry in the land, hitting a block of dwarves is like crashing into a mountain... a mountain with lots of cursing spikey bits that hit back and stuff...

cheers,

Sammay23

Last edited by sammay23; June 23rd, 2005 at 18:51.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool

awesome goodjob

drop 1 cannon and get 2 bolt throwers with rune of seeking (gives u a +1 to hit flyers)
    if u know u are playing him and he has peg. knights

that way after killing them then you can make knight kebabs and knights with no heads from a canon

that gobo hewer is awesome D3 hits per rank is awesome
    Last edited by jackal; June 23rd, 2005 at 17:06.
    auzzie auzzie auzzie oi oi oi

BEER it's whats for dinner

my gyrocopter is better than your gyrocopter

i also play tomb kings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RoS looks good, two bolt throwers will cost about the same as one cannon if they're outfitted with RoS (assuming RoF on the cannon). Four shots on the pegasis knights before they close sould even things out. I'm thinking about a small unit of slayers to protect my warmachines from flank attacks as well.

The problem with cannons and Bretonians is that damn 5-up ward save they all get if they pray. At best you're gonna hit three models in a Bret lance, one of them will likely make that ward save. A unit of thunderers might be better than the cannon... I'm going to test that theory out.

I'm sticking with the Goblin Hewer, dropping the cannons, taking two bolt throwers, dropping the organ gun and taking a Lord instead of a thane as my general.

That's the plan for the next time... which will be tuesday or wednesday. Any other advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thunderer

thunderers would be better i think than the cannon at killing the knights although they will probably get a 3+ to a 4+ save ( i dont know their base save) but u will get more hits and wounds

i would not bother with the slayers to protect your warmachines, you could try a unit of crossbowmen if u set up on a big hill with ur warmachines & crossb's with range of 30'' u should get a few turns of shooting in and the thunders for when the get real close

and give the thunderers and xbows shield for cc
    auzzie auzzie auzzie oi oi oi

BEER it's whats for dinner

my gyrocopter is better than your gyrocopter

i also play tomb kings

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work against brets, looks like your list is working.

Was it an all knight army? I hate those :mad: !

Just to tell you, lore of life is actually quite good esp. now that lustria is a coming.

I once hit a choas warrior unit with master of stone and it took 8 wounds :eek: (somehow though my opponent made 8 4+ saves :eek: )
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Lore of Life... I actually meant that it was bad for me... i.e. quite good as an offensive weapon for the other side. I had six dispel dice to his five power dice (after stealing one with MRo and I was very glad for it. His Damsels sat in the middle of knight units, since they didn't need line of sight. The magic was especially potent when I left things on hills.

And yes... it was an all Knight army. Four units of knights including Grail Knights and Questing Knights. Buth they ground their lance-points blunt on my stout lads and we sent them running off the board. It was a near thing for a while but never underestimate an army that is stubborn and has high leadership. Hell... I was impressed and surprised.

The 25-troop units REALLY helped. The Brets would kill several in their initial charge but I still had enough to keep three full ranks and get all my combat bonuses as well as the outnumber. I had to make a break test when the Grail Knights hit my ironbreakers but that was it.

the list is working against Brets... now Chaos is another matter. Haven't played them yet.

cheers,

+ Reply to Thread