War Machines in Small Games - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

War Machines in Small Games

Now, we're getting a new codex in a couple of weeks so everything may change. However, all of the units I'm looking at have rules taken from the base rulebook, so it should be fairly unlikely to change much. From what I've been able to see from army lists so far, at 1000 points, in terms of infantry I'm going to want (roughly):

2 infantry units to hold my lines
    1 hard hitting infantry unit (I may try using some Kislev cavalry for this, seeing as I've already picked up 2 boxes of Lancers for $50US already and I'll have an open Rare slot for Dogs of War.)
    1 shooty infantry unit

I've seen all of cannons, stone throwers, and bolt throwers working into 1000 point lists. A bolt thrower certainly sounds like a solid choice because of it's low point cost. However, thanks to the sale that's been going on I've already picked up a Flame Cannon. This is almost certainly too expensive and too short range to really be worth putting into a 1000 point game. I'm considering using it as a regular cannon while I learn the army.

What kind of experiences have you had with the various war machines in small point games? I'm hardly commited to using the cannon at this point, but I do have a slight preference towards sticking with what I already own.

Thanks a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

the bolt thrower is a solid choice. it is the best way to take down knghts/chaos warriors and other heavily armored unit. i dont play dwarves, but i play against them a lot, and my opponent has two bolt throwers and an engineer that continually wreak havoc on my lines! so bolt throwers all the way!
    Do it fer da ladz, come join da Ork Klan here!

Blood Axes W/L/D-------- 9/7/3
    Warboss Grorg of the Ork Klan!
    Commander of the Rebel Alliance in the STAR WARS CLAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

You can't take Kislevite cavalry as Rare choices. The only ways to field Kislevite cav (rules-wise) are:
    1. Play a Kislev Army
    2. Play a full-fledged army with an Allied Contignent
    3. Play Empire and field a unit of Gryphon Legion as a Rare choice

Of course, you may just use standard unbarded DoW Heavy Cavalry and use the Kislevite models for them.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Yeah. I missed the 'Empire' bit the first time reading through the rules and it's never really sunk in properly since. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where does it say the rules on using kislevite allies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

There are full rules listed in the Kislev mini army book. Also, somewhere on the Australian (and possibly other) websites there are slightly less complete rules listed for using them as an allied contingent. If you dig around a little bit you should be able to find the link.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other thing is that if you only play 1000 pts isn't your Rare choice restricted to 0-1 there fore if you take allied forces then there will be no flame cannon, the range on the flame cannon is actually quite good as you have 12' guess +artillery dice distance and then 8' template that is a possible 30"s of reach, not to bad if you ask me.
    Only A Dwarf Can Appreciate A Hairy Woman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used a cannon in a 500pt game and untill I could grapeshot it kept missing. Thats only because I was playing chaos and they dont really have any missile fire so if i was playing some kind of elf army or empire it would have gone a lot worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In small games a BT comes in handy because it decisevly deals with big problems (ogres, trolls, and heavy cavalry). Its shining point though it that it totally ignores armor and is generally in short range from turn 1 on a 4x4" board. Much better than small units of thunderers or crossbowmen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderer
    on a 4x4" board.
    wow thats a small board, 4 inches by 4 inches

but really i agree with u. BTs are killer at 500 pnts or less. even two of them . anyways i would only take BTs up to 1000 points, then start taking other warmachines at ur discression

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast