are dwarfs for me ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are dwarfs for me ?

hi ( ive read the other threads )

im thinking of starting dwarfs and wanted tio post here first.

i was thinking about trying a very shooty 1k list ( thunderers with sheilds for infantry, loads of warmahcines ) would this be considered too cheesy ?

other choice is brest , with them ill go full CC/knights. 2 totally different armys to choose from .

fantasy

vampire counts ( under construction)

am thinking about starting it again

currently working on :

second unit of skellys

most likely thing next :

another box of skellys .....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

If you are going to use shooty army then be sure to have some infantry units too. Thunders with shields will not be enough. Simpel warriors can stand their ground against the most units until help arrives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An all shooty army would be considered cheesy in most circles, so I would be looking to add in some melee troops as well.
    W/L/D
    Dwarfs 20/12/4
    Skaven 8/6/3
    Lizardmen 5/4/2
    Chaos 6/4/0
    Empire 3/1/1
    Wood Elves 2/0/1
    Bretonnians 0/2/1
    Orcs & Goblins 0/1/0
    Next Army - Tomb Kings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally don't think that an all shooting dwarf army is all that great. I think that the thing that works the best is a mix. There are simply not enough numbers to sustain a cheesy army. Dwarfs are a rather simple army. They have great missile troops to widdle down the enemy's numbers, while having amazing holding troops to hold things such as flanks so that more powerfull troops can come and kick the enemy's teeth in. That is the most efficiant way of running dwarfs. Thus a great armylist to start out with (if you still want to) is this:

Heroes

1 Thane (with Longbeards)
    Shield
    GW
    Rune of Stone
    76 Points

Core

20 Warriors
    Shields
    Full Command
    205 Points

10 Quarrellers
    Shields
    Musician
    125 Points

15 Longbeards
    Great Weapons, Full Command
    220 pts.

Special

15 Slayers
    165 Points

1 BT
    Engineer
    60 Points

Rare

1 Gyrocopter
    140 Points

Total 991

You buy 2 boxes of dwarf warriors, assemble 20 warriors and 12 longbeards. Then you buy a box of thunderers, and assemle 10 querrellers, put 4 longbeard heads on thunderer bodies (as far as i know this should work), then you use the remaining two bodies to convert yourself an engineer for you BT and a Thane (this is quite satisfying). Then you buy a BT, 5 blisters of slayers, and a gyrocopter. This comes to a total of 195 USD. For that you have a very efficiant 1000 pt. force. This is definately not the cheepest way to go, but it is probably the most efficiant and most fun. Then you build on to this force with a couple of battalions and BAM!!! 2000 pts. Anyway.

You use the Gyro to marchblock while the shooting units widdle down your oponents infantry. Then you hold with Warriors, while smashing with LB and slayers. Voila! Victory!
    Mr. Burns: Why is everyone being so insolent today?

Smithers: Well sir, it is christmas...

Mr. Burns: I'll decide when its christmas!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

been a bit since i posted in the dwarf forum but here i goes.

i again am not much of a fan of the mega shooty dwarf army. not so much for the cheesyness of it but you lose out on so much! dwarfs currently have some of the best troops point for point in the whole game which includes the cheapest T4 core model available to any army!

though our shooting is kick ass in comparison to elves and the like (oh trust me it is now!) the close combat aspect to dwarfs can not be ignored in my opinion. its all fine and dandy to go shooty heavy but without the troops you will sadly have your arsed handed to you on a platter.

units i recommend for starters: warriors, long beards, iron breakers. bolt throwers thunderers (not much more than 10-16 id say) and a thane. (at 1000 points you will rarely need a runie with 4 DD) but if you do want to go very shooty go with it and if you have success mention it in a battle report im sure every one would be interested with the results =]

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fyou are going shooty at 1K pick up 2 engineers with minimal equipment and a cheap thane BSB just for re-rolls of break test and some extra hitty attacks if required. Get a unit of warriors 16-25 and 2 units of thunderers/crossbow 10-16 (no standards though on the thunderers). Get 2 war machines even if only BTs. Put your engineers there and dig them in. So that gives you two stubborn units to anchor your flanks, 2 shooty units, and a good large block of warriors to get the HTH on. Deploy tight and at an angle in a corner and make them come to you.

+ Reply to Thread