Advice on assembling units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on assembling units

I'm a new dwarf player and I have a couple battalion boxes on the way (48 warriors, 32 thunderers and 2 cannons). I plan to go with all thunderers for shooters, one cannon and one organ gun, but I would like some opinions on what to do with the warriors. Should I make 24 warriors and 24 longbeards? Who should get shields and great weapons? Or should it be 16 warriors with shield, 16 with gw, and 16 longbeards with shield and gw?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ebiniser
    I'm a new dwarf player and I have a couple battalion boxes on the way (48 warriors, 32 thunderers and 2 cannons). I plan to go with all thunderers for shooters, one cannon and one organ gun, but I would like some opinions on what to do with the warriors. Should I make 24 warriors and 24 longbeards? Who should get shields and great weapons? Or should it be 16 warriors with shield, 16 with gw, and 16 longbeards with shield and gw?
    Thanks for any help!
    I reached the same problem at this point - but in the end I made 16 of each. Units over 20in Dwarf terms, in my opinion, are too big and too many pts invested in one unit and can be avoided or destroyed by a wily opponent.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've started my army the same way. With 2 battalion boxes. I am using 2 units of 10 thunderers. 1 unit of 20 longbeards and 2 units of 20 warriors one of wich is armed with great weapons. The thunderer bodies are easily used for regular warriors as the warrior sprues come with 6 heads each.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Personally I would go for twenty per unit. May make them more expensive but it does mean they last longer, arrange them in ranks of four - giving you five deep - you must loose six models before loosing any rank bonus. That and four wide means you will only be facing four to five attacks back max - not six or so.

But it is all down to personal preference, give it a whirl and try a few other ways. Most opponents will understand you proxying the units before settling down to build them.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i personally like the 3 16man units you talked about but if i were you i would listen to KU he knows what he's talking about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info! What are people's thoughts on command models (musician, standard, champion)? Should I go for full command in all my units? Or only some of these models in units like thunderers (ie: no champion or standard)?

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I always try to take a command group, because the different abilities of each one of them make the whole unit stronger. Many people thing that the pts is better spent other places, but, IMO, it is definitely worth the pts. Especially the veteran, he really helps the unit in combat - thunderers need a boost like him.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

+ Reply to Thread