too shooty ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too shooty ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too shooty ?

ok basic question, im writing up some army lists for my new Drawf army...i want to know if any of you guys have a formula for working out how much Artillary to take.

basically i want an army without about 60-70 dwarfs in and the rest Artillary in about 2000 pts...but i want my army to be fun to play as and fun to play against too so any advice?

allot of my buddies do powergame and they take VC, tree puffs, Dark elves so my idea is not to blow there armies up and give them no chance...but to do allot of damage for my stunties to go and clean up the rest.

Army of the heavens, my army waits in hell
    To battle on the earth, for all the souls who fell

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hivefleet Hades
    ok basic question, im writing up some army lists for my new Drawf army...i want to know if any of you guys have a formula for working out how much Artillary to take.

basically i want an army without about 60-70 dwarfs in and the rest Artillary in about 2000 pts...but i want my army to be fun to play as and fun to play against too so any advice?

allot of my buddies do powergame and they take VC, tree puffs, Dark elves so my idea is not to blow there armies up and give them no chance...but to do allot of damage for my stunties to go and clean up the rest.
    As you play dwarfs, you'll realise that shooting isn't for simply killing your opponent, it's to force him forward to meet your rock hard troops. if you can't put enough pressure, your opponent will simply sit back and decide not to meet you.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    As you play dwarfs, you'll realise that shooting isn't for simply killing your opponent, it's to force him forward to meet your rock hard troops. if you can't put enough pressure, your opponent will simply sit back and decide not to meet you.
    This is exactly what happened to me. First I just used shooting, which is fine for a beginner, but when you're facing stronger armies or in tournaments you'll shoot just to force the enemy forward - Dwarfs have great combat troops.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

so my idea is not to blow there armies up and give them no chance...
    lmao! I wouldn't worry about that, if they're good enough then they'll find a way round it. Sorry, but the idea that one can simply take a shooty army and own everyone is really quite amusing

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey
    lmao! I wouldn't worry about that, if they're good enough then they'll find a way round it. Sorry, but the idea that one can simply take a shooty army and own everyone is really quite amusing

Ciao

Stonehambey
    Stonehambey your missing my point, im not talking about how effective or ineffective a Dwarf gunline can be, As any style of play can be counterd by prepared opponent...my question is about balance and making my army fun to play and more importantly fun to play against.

For example I follow the tyranid formula for using tyranid MC's in 40k, 1 Big gribbly for every 500 pts and this makes for a balanced army...i was just wondering if the veteran dwarf players use a similar way for amounts of artillary
    Army of the heavens, my army waits in hell
    To battle on the earth, for all the souls who fell

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

ah in that case....

1-2 warmachines/shooting units at 1000 points
    2-3 warmachines/shooting units at 1500
    3-4 warmachines/shooting units at 2000

and so on. its very important to remember that the dwarves great strength is in its infantry (man im starting to sound like a broken record) almost no army can match dwarfs in a head on battle and those units that can break your line is what you aim for.

with shooting you want one of three things. panic, less ranks, or utter destruction. the latter only works against smaller units generally but if you really want to destroy a unit keep at it until you have done so then move on. personally i prefere to weaken enemy combat strength rather than try to kill the units as i know that my mighty dwarven foot troops can stand up to almost anything in the game with a fair chance of victory. (case in point: chaos knights bounced off them last week end after i knocked them down by two models)

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

so my idea is not to blow there armies up and give them no chance...
    That quote seems pretty clear to me, not sure how many ways you can interpret it...

I wasn't reffering to your whole post when i posted last, otheriwse i would've either quoted the whole thing or simply replied as normal. I don't think i missed your point at all, i was just responding to that particular line

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what it sounds like, you're going to have a lot of cavalry running at you in your games. So it sounds like you could use maybe 3 cannons as your shooting force, as this solves the problems you might face for the most part. First, it forces your opponents mages( take lots of magic defense as well) into units. These units are going to have a dilema when they go into combat as mages (besides chaos, vampires, and ogres) are not hard to take down with a measly dwarf champion, or even regular infantry. Therefore, the unit is forced to either avoid combat, risk the mage, or force another unit to hide the mage, all comprimising situations. Second, cannons are the most point effective way of dealing with enemy siege weapons. Third, cannons are probably the best siege weapon you have against cavalry, as it is about impossible to line up cavalry so you'd only hit one model with all three cannons. Finally, the armies you play against are going to have a rather high points/models ratio, once again perfect for cannons. The rest of your army should be spent on a nice huge line of infantry and magic defense. This may sacrifice your ability to take multiple elite units, but I think that you'll be alright as even dwawrf core units are still very solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not a dwarf player myself, but my girlfriend does and she always recommends taking a flame cannon, regardless of points limits. this is mainly because there is no scatter and only one guess: 0-12 inches, causes panic if one wound is taken (obviously not against immune to psych models), and can take just about any engineering rune.

this bloody thing makes my undivided chaos troops run even at the best of times.

worth considering

also try out a grudgethrower or gyrocopter.

her combo in 2000pts: flame cannon, grugdethrower, gyrocopter and a unit of thunderers with shields and quarrellers with shields.
    "Now that question is less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid manner..."

Current Armies:
    - Chaos Undivided: way too many points for my small budget
    - Empire: reliving my first army
    - Lizardmen: too many skinks dammit
    - Space Marines: who doesn't like a man in armour? lol

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

I didn't think that flame cannons could take any engineering runes?

Ciao

Stonehambey

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast