Are Rangers worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Rangers worth it?

Hey,
    So I am starting my Dwarf army, and due to it's fluff I was going to have rangers in it. The basic army would look like this(rough skeleton)

Lord/Hero:
    Thane

Core:
    16 warriors, not sure about gw or shields(advice would be nice:yes: )

16 Rangers

Special:
    Bolt Thrower

As you can see this is a very small army, but I am going to be playing against about a 500 pt Orc army plus I do not have much money.

My question was are rangers really worth enough to put in your very beggining army? If you guys could tell me the advantages and disadvantages of rangers, and if I should just swap out for long range squad or not, that would be great. I would like to use them because they describe the feel and look of my Dwarf army.

Thanks, Koth

"In the battle of Trechamov VII they became ghosts. They're strength was already steel." - The Regiment of Death , author unknown.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

ranger pro's and cons.

pros: scouting skill: this is handy as it lets you get your dwarves into a foward and argessive position but at the same time its risky, the dwarf army is at its best when its united defending each others flanks. on their own its very easy for a unit to get out manouvered and flanked so its not allways the best idead.

Throwing axes: rangers get throwing axes which give them a bit of reach, handy for stand and shoot as well. however they are quite expencive for a single S4 attack (unless you use longbeard rangers)

cons: high points cost: these guys are very expencive compared to normal troops.

easy to isolate (as i said earlier)

unsupported (as i said earlier)

personally i don't like rangers. the idea of moving my troops into a forward position just because i can never fits with my style of play with a solid advancing battle line and are probebly not the best thing to start with. they are however handy for attracting attention and could have some uses. but i prefere to leave them wandering the wastes than rally them to my throng.

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K thanks man. I think Ill build my guys with a ranger look and use them as either quarrellers of rangers.

-Koth
    "In the battle of Trechamov VII they became ghosts. They're strength was already steel." - The Regiment of Death , author unknown.

+ Reply to Thread