Infantry Firepower - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Infantry Firepower

Hi all,

I don't know if this is an army list or an idea, but here it is:

I've always wondered about a dwarf army consisting primarily or entirely of quarrellers, thunderers, and DOW dwarves, with heavy armor, shield, x-bow, and gt wpn. Maybe 1 unit of longbeards for morale purposes, possibly a unit of hammerers or ironbreakers. No war machines.

This is not an army I seriously intend to build or play, as I don't really like all shooting lists. But usually dwarf gunlines have a ton of war machines, and rather minimal infantry. This would be all infantry, and still very shooty. I was wondering if anyone had ideas about the concept.

Thanks,
    Koosh

Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

To be honest, I don't know how much fun it'd be to play with or against. Armies that are one-trick ponies don't appeal to much to me, and I think this would be an instance of that.

And in my experience, I have my best luck against shooty armies, at least with my wood elves.

On the other hand, I've used my own dwarf list just once, with the models from the recent boxed set, including the models I traded goblins for, and had an easy time winning. Though obviously one game isn't nearly enough to go drawing conclusions on.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have thought about this as well. It seems that an all shooty army could really have its way against a regualr dwarf force, all shooty could turn the tide. So the DOW dwarves can have X bow and Hvy Armor? I will have to look into that.
    "...and we shall pave our path to the gods with the Skulls of our fallen foes."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by ThorMace View Post
    I have thought about this as well. It seems that an all shooty army could really have its way against a regualr dwarf force, all shooty could turn the tide. So the DOW dwarves can have X bow and Hvy Armor? I will have to look into that.
    Yeah, the DOW dwarves can get all the options: x-bow, hvy armor, shield and gt wpn. They end up expensive, but quite powerful and versatile. And I think heavily equipt dwarves are awfully fluffy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a recent battle agaist Wood Elves, I took 105 Quarrelers with sheilds, 25 warriors with Master Rune of Grungni (5+ ward saves vs. missiles), 2 Boltthrowers with engineers, and a Runelord with the Anvil. Although not fun too play (I would not recommend it at all), I needed to strike a out a grudge against them. I won, just barely (my Boltthrowers barely hit, and the table was too thin to have all my quarrelers in a line). He want first. With 2 units of Way Watchers and 3 Hail of Doom arrows, he took out 5 dwarfs. My first turn, I took out 4 fast cavalrymen (Wild Riders or something like that) and around 10 Elves.
    Moral of the story, Dwarfs own at shooting. Ironically, he annihilated me in close combat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Uh oh, I think you got chumped. One WE army can have only one Hail of Doom Arrow, per normal rules.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

That's a funny story Forthook! Thanks for sharing, good to know that someone has tried out something similar. Personally I would have taken a few more organ guns against Wood Elves. Great for blasting those pesky skirmishers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the Organ Guns, had I known the conditions (thin table edge, his focus on CC), I probably would have, but 24" range and no way to add runes or extra crewmen are no-no's against Wood Elves. Organ Guns have served me very well though, but then again, how could they not?

And David, thanks for the heads up on the Hail of Doom, I'll have to check that. Lucky for me they were next to useless.
    Last edited by Forthork; December 1st, 2006 at 01:57.

+ Reply to Thread