Slayers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slayers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slayers

The only aspect I find remotely remarkable about Slayers is that their strength gets increased against tougher units. Therefore, whenever I take them (which is never now), I aim them for the opposing unit with the highest toughness (like Kroxigors, etc.) That never seems to pan out, though, and they just turn into Unbreakable Dwarfs (ooohh....Unbreakable Dwarfs) with two attacks or GWs, with no armor.

People seem to like the idea of baiting the Slayers into being a shield, but buying shields for every unit is much less expensive than buying Slayers. I welcome shooting against my Dwarfs, because at a 4+ armor save (3+ for Ironbreakers) and T4, you're not going to be hurting me much, if at all.

If Slayers aren't going to be worth the points, they really shouldn't be the coolest models in the Dwarf army...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"There is nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of Elves."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Well Dwarfs can be broken and slayers can't, which is always helpful.

A large group of slayers with a wide frontage can be a real nuisance for your opponent to work around.

Also a smaller group is great for holding up a unit for a turn or two(Y)

So I think they are far from useless

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey View Post

Also a smaller group is great for holding up a unit for a turn or two
    What type of unit would you hold up with them?

I find that cavalry (even heavy cav) don't last long against Dwarfs, and if I'm really worried about something running, I make sure to have Longbeards or the BSB within proximity.

I never have to deal with chariots, because my cannon takes them out in a turn or two, but I can't see Slayers being that useful against them anyway.

Not many Special infantry choices can go toe-to-toe with dwarf infantry, but I can see how they would be useful for dealing double attacks.

My biggest gripe is their lack of armor (which I don't think they should have), but I think they would be cool as skirmishers or with better movement. An Ironbreaker moves as quickly as a Slayer? That just doesn't make much sense...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"There is nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of Elves."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

the slayers also have giant slayers remember. these count as unit champions remember and don't get removed from the front rank when you take losses unless attacks are directed at them.

as such if you grab three of these guys you give slayers their greatest asset compared to other dwarves, weight of attacks. a 5 wide frontage with 3 giant slayers has a total of 13 attacks and 9 of them are near enough permanent. using great weapons you then get 8 S6 GW attacks and can cleave units apart in no time.

slayers are also the best flank holders we can have being unbreakable and having high WS and T makes them a bitch to remove and will bog down nearly every unit in the game for at least 2-3 turns.

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slayers may seem stupid but they are amzing if you really think about what they are supposed to do. dont use slayers as shields or attack units use them as a unit that holds back a unit that will tear your army up. my slayers (11 with a GS) have held some of the mightiest units in the game for more than 3 turns which really changes the outcome of the battle. i know its a bummer when they get wounded and you say "woopee no armor" but its fine they were made to die in a glorious battle. im telling you, use slayers youll learn to love them when they hold back a giant dragon for the whole game (still cracks me up about when my opponent charged them with his high elf mounted dragon only to find im unbreakable).
    :yes:
    Without ME its just AWESO!!!

2000pts of DWARFS with tons of grudges!!
    500pts Khador and growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

458 (x8)

I've only had a little experience with Slayer, but what I've had, I like. I own a Dragon Slaye rin my collection, and he does a good job of holding flanks, especially against WS2 Night Goblins, he's destroyed an overpowered Night Goblin hero (long story, in another thread in this forum), and just does nasty stuff to my opponent in General.

The best experience I've had with him would have been holding off an entire Ogre unit until Dwarf Warriors and Emprie SPearmen could destroy them all through Combat Resolution then running them down. Another one would be hitting a unit of Ogre Bulls in the side. I killed one, they couldn't strike back because I went into base contact with only one of them, won the fight through Combat Resolution (3 wounds and a Flank Charge), before running them down.

I like Slayers a lot actually, thoguh I've never tired the big, core units.

archonfarseerguy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suicide slayers, definatly

you all seem to be using your slayers wrong, my faveroute plan is to run them forwards as fast (ha) as they can towards the enemy, if the enemy ignores them they rip apart artillary or weaker units of their choice, and if they do choose to do something about them, i reform them into a wide unit only 1 ranks deep and hold up a huge portion of the enemy for a few turns, and then i have instead of 2-3 turns of shooting at units, i have 3-4 at least, and i can shoot the units that cant move because they are blocked by the fight, my slayers get to die and i get to keep shootin, great
    move aside manling this is dwarf work......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by snorri View Post
    you all seem to be using your slayers wrong, my faveroute plan is to run them forwards as fast (ha) as they can towards the enemy, if the enemy ignores them they rip apart artillary or weaker units of their choice, and if they do choose to do something about them, i reform them into a wide unit only 1 ranks deep and hold up a huge portion of the enemy for a few turns, and then i have instead of 2-3 turns of shooting at units, i have 3-4 at least, and i can shoot the units that cant move because they are blocked by the fight, my slayers get to die and i get to keep shootin, great
    This is a viable option for a gunline. They can hold thier own for a while, but they will fall at an alarming rate against foes with mulitple attacks (bloody plague monks!).

A dragon slayer with a master rune of switness can hold at bay a whole unit of light to medium infantry on is own.

Slayers work best on flanks, they'll make your battle line iron hard, protecting your other units from flank charges, wich are not too hard top pull against dwarfs, since we have limited mobility and fewer units
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biff'd View Post
    if I'm really worried about something running, I make sure to have Longbeards or the BSB within proximity.
    Just checking but dont longbeards only allow re-rolled panic not break?

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

I've found the best use of my slayers so far to be the same as Arklite: extra attacks with giant-slayers. They let me chop through units that would take a while to wear down much more quickly.

I'm very intrigued by the lone-dragon slayer with master-rune of swiftness, I may use that next battle.

Koosh

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast