What to Buy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to Buy?

Junior Member Drunken Armadillo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to Buy?

Well after some hard thought i have decided to pick up a small dwarf force which can be made into 1000-1500pts and eventually 2k. I have found 3 great deals, the Games Workshop Dwarven Battalion(90$), thats an organ cannon/cannon, 24 warriors and 12 thunderers in addition to the BFSP. Another Games workshop deal is the ARmy Set(175$) which is an organ cannon and a cannon, 40 warriors which can be made into longbeards, 40 thunderers and 20 miners in addition to the BFSP. So for the GW products i would need to buy my own Grudge Thrower and heroes. The last deal i found on a website called

http://www.scifigenre.com/

It has A Grudge Thrower(which i plan on using no matter which box i buy) a Dwarf Lord, A dwarf Runelord, 1 Engineer, 1 BsB, The Army Book, 10 Slayers, 1 cannon, 16 thunderers, and 32 warriors(174$)

So Which is a better buy for a new dwarf player. Thx for the responses ahead of time.

P.S. Sry if this breaks any copyright issues with GW, if so please Delete

My Armies:
    Skaven
    W- 1
    L- 2
    D- 0

Lizardmen
    W-4
    L-2
    D-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

The thing I don't like about the big box is who would use 40 missile troops? It seems like a bit of a waste. If, however, you were to convert say 20 of the thunderers into warriors (using the weapons you didn't use on the other warriors for example) then I would probably go for that option

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too would pick that last option, or the one before. If you have 40 missle troops, you could convert them as mentioned, or play a nice sized Engineer's Guild army (I have 60 Thunderers, LOL). Thats not something you may want to play all the time, but the option would be nice to have!
    sakenpo@ptd.net
    Lower/Lesser rating always ships first!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Ya, 40 thunderers in addition to what's in the BFSP seems excessive. I've played a couple of games with a shooty (though only 1000 pt) dwarf army and got bored with it pretty quick. Don't move. SHoot. Don't move. Shoot. Etc.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

the other option, is far cheaper, but the models are not as cool, is the battle for skull pass. You could get the same models for about $30. Granted, it doesn't have an organ gun, but you could probably make one out of something else, or use the cannon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, i have the battle for skull pass. Ive decided to buy some boxes seperatly. 3 warrior boxes a thunderers box and a grudge thrower. This is perfect for the list i made since it uses 10 thunderers(i have the extra box in case i change my list) 40 warriors, 20 longbeards(the 2 boxes gives me about 48 plus the BFSP is exactly 60. Than last i have a thane from the BFSP and a grudge thrower. So would this be better?(161$ with shipping and army book)

Also heres my list, if you guys dont like it and I buy all the boxes particuarly for that list it would be a waste {confused} .

Heroes:

Thane- 115pts
    Master Rune of Gromil
    Great Weapon
    Rune of Fury

(so he has a 1+ armor save with 4 strength 6 attacks. Since i play mostly elves i think this would work well)

Core:

20 Dwarven Warriors
    Shields
    Standard Bearer
    Musician

20 Dwarven Warriors
    Shields
    Standard Bearer
    Musician

19 Longbeards
    Standard Bearer
    Musician
    (this is where my thane goes)

10 Thunderers
    Shields

1 GrudgeThrower
    Rune of Accuracy
    Engineer

So i would be buying to specifically fit this list and yes i know this should be in the army list forum, but i thought since it was important to this post, id put it here. Any changes you would make? to few missle troops? too many CC troops? take out the GrudgeThrower?
    Last edited by Anthraxium; April 6th, 2007 at 06:41. Reason: small error, wanted to make it easier to read

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthraxium
    Thane- 115pts
    Master Rune of Gromil
    Great Weapon
    Rune of Fury

(so he has a 1+ armor save with 4 strength 6 attacks. Since i play mostly elves i think this would work well)
    I don't think this works. If you give a great weapon a rune then it reverts back to being a hand weapon, to retain its abilities you would have to combine it with MRoKragg the Grimm

Otherwise I think this is a good list(Y)

Ciao

Stonehambey

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

As you said, I'd go ahead and post the list to the army list forum, you are more likely to get more specific feedback there (people won't know to look for it in this post). Also I'm not sure what points level your army aspires to. So go ahead and post it (and its total points) in the army lists, and I'll devote a more careful look at it.

Stonehambey is correct about the great-weapon/rune problem. I'd just go with a rune of cleaving and rune of fury, 4 S5 attacks is a nasty suprise on a hero.

-Koosh

+ Reply to Thread