Storm guardians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm guardians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storm guardians

I've been considering getting myself some storm guardians and the box of 8 seems a bit pricey, especially annoying seeing I was aiming to use a squad of 10

Was just wondering if anyone had any conversion plans for them that work well, almost willing to get the box but would probably want to convert the remaining 2 if possible.

thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

The shuriken catapult is fairly mod-friendly to cut down into a shuriken pistol. And the head fluff isn't that difficult to make either, either with GS or using the tail of a fantasy horse (anyone else notice the similarity?). The main problem to me would be the sword/chainsword since I don't have any of those to spare and don't know any good way of getting a hold of them. You could probably use fantasy/elf weaponry if you have any of those lying around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I used the standard Guardians box, shortened their Shuriken Catapults to "Shuriken Carbines" and added bayonets (Tyranid Flesh Hooks) to the ends.
    The "Shuriken Carbine" is the pistol and the bayonet is the CCW.
    I also gave them all High Elves shields just to make them look even more different.

Ultimately, "Close combat weapon" is whatever you want. I personally hate the Direct-Order-Only CCWs because they're a non-uniform mix of chainswords and blades; not very Eldar-like at all. Plus, its expensive.

The cheapest suggestion to you is to shorten the barrel and add a bayonet.
    As long as your Storm Guardians are obviously given some sort of CCW and they're clearly different than the Guardian Defenders, it is WYSIWYG enough for tournaments.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

The shuriken carbine with bayonet sounds like a great idea

I might consider a carbine and wrist blade rather than a bayonet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made up a full unit of 10 from bits I had lying around and a box of Defender Guardians. The Dire Avenger sprues come with pistols, and you can do the afore-mentioned shortening of the catapults to come up with all that you need. I also used the short swords from the DA sprues, left over bits I had from DA, Striking Scorpion, and others to make up the rest of my close combat weapons. The one weapon I did like was using old Dark Eldar spikey-bits to make wrist-blades. To get the fusion/flamers I took a left over autarch arm I had that had a fusion gun and one of the normal arms off a fire dragon exarch. I'll see if I can get some pics up in a bit to show you what my guys looked like. Not sure what you bits collection looks like, but if you have a few DA sprue and some extra bits from asepect warriors, you can probably make most of the squad and not have to buy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately my bits collection is fairly sparse. I have been aiming to get some dire avengers though so would hopefully at least have some bits from them.
    Some great sounding suggestions, think that at the moment my best bet may be the bayonet/wrist blade idea as i know a nid player who will no doubt have the spare flesh hooks, will just need to see what I can track down in the way of bits I guess and then work from there
    Think that I may still need a bit of imagination flamer wise

thanks for all the help
    Last edited by Ikras; November 7th, 2009 at 02:09.

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ăther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

My in-progress Storm Guardians are a mix of Dire Avenger sword arms with either the pointing pistol arm or the left-hand Shuriken Catapult bit all from leftover Exarch bits. The other half of my squad is just regular Guardians with the Exarch's sheathed blade that attaches to the backpack instead of the regular Guardian aerial thing. My Flamer is a Shuriken Catapult with the clip cut off and the barrel shortened so it drops off right at the iron-sight. The flamer's fuel tank is one of the globes from the back-end of the Guardian/Wraithlord/War Walker Starcannon. I would supply pics, but the only camera available to me has a fixed lense with a focus depth of at least 2 feet and as such can only barely take decent pics of Wave Serpent or bigger sized objects (see my Fire Prism conversion thread in my signature for an example.)
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I managed to cut the Shuriken Catapults down enough to make them into pistols, along with some bits from the DA sprue. I also play Wood Elves, so CC weapons are easy enough to come by...
    My one issue is Fusion Guns. I dont want to have to buy an extra Autarch (rarely do I use those guys), so I ended up chopping the barrel off the catapults and trimming EMLs to look like the barrel of a Fusion Gun. They look a little large, but they do look (somewhat) like what I was going for. So I have a squad of 10 Storm Guardians now, but I want to make another one out of the 30 or so Guardian Defenders I own.
    Anyone have any better ideas on Fusion Gun conversions?
    It's our struggles that define us, And the hardships we endure,
    Your spirit can't be broken now, You've come too far...
    -Hatebreed

Senior Member eldratch the fallen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe just trimming/shaping some plastic rod? or anything about the right size? thats all i can reallly think of sorry to say.
    I love Pathfinders.

His jetbikes are many. Mayor Quimby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    338 (x4)

For my Storm Guardians I have been lucky... I bought an Eldar bits box and found 20 heads, Shuriken pistols, close combat weapons and special weapons in it.

This is the cheapest way I have found to convert Storm Guardians:
    - Bodies: regular Guardians from eBay (I bought 28 used Guardians for 10$)
    - Pistols: like other members said, cut Shuriken Catapults and fill the gaps with Green Suff
    - CCW: Dark Elf Corsairs arms bits (25 arms for 3$ on eBay), maybe you can trim them a little if they look too "evil" for you
    - Heads: Dark Elf Corsair heads (15 for 4.50$) look fine, but you can cut their ponytails and put them on regular Guardians heads (filling the gaps with Green Stuff).

About the special weapons, there was once (2nd edition?) an Eldar Weapon Sprue with plastic fusion gun and flamer (have a look on eBay, I have found a couple).

If you cannot find them, here are different options:
    - Flamers: the Wraithlord Flamer can look ok IMO, maybe it is a little oversized.
    - Fusion Gun: the old Fire Dragon Warrior has a Fusion Gun bit. I have found it for 3.81$ on eBay.

Hope this helps!