New Eldar vs New Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

New Eldar vs New Tau

So I'll soon be playing a Tau army for the first time in a long time (I think have only played Tau twice in any edition) so I don't have a lot of experience. I know they are reasonably fast, got very good shooting, and seem to have a lot of special equipment, but that's about it.

I was wondering whether there are any Eldar generals out there who have rejected the Greater Good in a ultra violent way and may be able to pass on any knowledge?

"God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Have you decided on an army? It would help if we had a list to work with. As a general rule: tau struggle to push forward and take objectives. If you can, make it so they have to come and take ground off you. Also, some tau lists take very few troops. If he is low on troops, focus on them! Wipe them and enjoy the easy win. Lastly, the first priority in your game should be his markerlights. By far the greatest threat they have simply because they are such great force multipliers.

All I have for now.

Zhu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ZhuPei View Post
    Have you decided on an army? It would help if we had a list to work with. As a general rule: tau struggle to push forward and take objectives. If you can, make it so they have to come and take ground off you. Also, some tau lists take very few troops. If he is low on troops, focus on them! Wipe them and enjoy the easy win. Lastly, the first priority in your game should be his markerlights. By far the greatest threat they have simply because they are such great force multipliers.

All I have for now.

Zhu

Thankis for the information Zhu that is quite useful I have posted an army list in the Army List section.

Here is my initial post

"It’s a 1650pt game (odd points I know but apparently that is the other guy’s entire Tau collection!).

I have no idea what the Tau guy has got except that it is a new army based on the new codex.

I was going to go for

X1 Karandaras

X5 Dire Avengers

X1 Wave Serpent +Shuriken Cannon + Star Cannons

X5 Rangers

X6 Jet Bikes+ Shuriken Cannons.

X7 Fire Dragons + Exarch + Iron Resolve +Fast shot+ Fire Pike

X1 Wave Serpent + Shuriken Cannon + Star Cannons + Ghost Walker Matrix + Holo-Fields

X 5 Warp Spiders

X5 Warp Spiders

X10 Swooping Hawks

x 5 Wraithguard

x10 Striking Scorpions+ Exarch+ Crushing Blow

N.B The load out of some of my choices particularly tanks (no scatter lasers) is dictated by models. Unfortunately I can’t change that in the near future.

I know Pheonix Lords are kind of expensive but I really like their style so I will probably be keeping him in.

I gave iron resolve to Fire Dragons because I figure they will be a priority target for the tau and I don't want them running.

So my basic plan was for Karandaras to infiltrate with the Wraithguard. Nearby would be the striking scorpions. They would take up position on a flank ideally and hit the Tau as quickly as possible.

Wave Serpents with Dire Avengers and Fire Dragons would zoom up board in first turn to support Wraithguard and Scorpions as quickly as possible.

Heavy hitters like the Riptide (if he has one) would be the priority target to begin with along with Broadsides and tanks.

Warp Spiders and Swooping Hawks and Jetbikes would form a solid force of interdictors disrupting Tau movement and consolidation. Also they can act as reserve for my main force.

Rangers are there to hold back field objective and snipe at units to try and pin them.
    Last edited by Visitor Q; June 19th, 2013 at 12:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think your list is particularly competitive but judging from your comments it seems like you prioritize a fun play style. So I will reserve my comments to the list you have.

You will have to make an assessment whether you think you can win a ranged battle. If you don't see Broadsides, Hammerheads or Riptides with Ion Accelerators, just sit back firing your Serpent Shields at him and force him to come to you. As Zhu mentioned, Tau are not great at this so you will be putting him on the back foot. If you do see aforementioned long range hard hitters, he will be badly out-ranging you and you will probably have to bring the fight to him. Luckily you have lot's of fast movers.

Pick an angle to attack from, in most cases this will just be the angle that let's you make it into combat in the least number of turns but if he splits his forces, just attack the section that could punish you the most if left alone. Infiltrate Karandras with your Scorpions into a piece of cover, creating a line of 3+/4-5++ troops. Keep Karandras as your lead model so that he can tank small arms fire on his 2+. You can extend the line with rangers if needed. Use this line of Scorpions/Rangers to provide a cover save for your fast movers, specifically the Spiders and Hawks. Your Jetbikes generate their own cover and can move fast enough to get past the line first turn so you will need to assess how you use them based on the deployment. You can use them to shoot, or use them as a distraction, turbo-boosting them into assault range of whatever is scariest, tarpitting the riptide or any battlesuit without vector retro-thrusters is usually a good idea. Your slow moving Dragons and Wraithguard should be in the transports, these guys can kill anything in the Tau army but don't be afraid to just use them in assault, with the exception of Kroot, nothing in the Tau army want's to be in assault, either because they suck at it, because they would rather be shooting, or both. Your Avengers should camp on an objective which you should place out of LoS.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mango Eldar; June 19th, 2013 at 13:06.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

Interesting take on things.

What would be your most competitive list vs Tau?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would never make a list completely to specifically counter one army as it would die horribly to a different style of army. But if you wanted to make something that is really competitive against while being generally competitive I would take a seer council on Jetbikes, fill your troops with Jetbikes, fill your fast attack with Warp Spiders, and your heavy support with War Walkers with a starcannon and scatter laser each.

Guide/Prescience on the Walkers, turbo boost all Jetbikes first turn, to get yourself within assault range. Your opponent has two choices. Take down 30 or so T4, 3+/4++ units, or shoot the Walkers. If he doesn't shoot the Walkers they will decimate every Fire Warrior and battlesuit on the table. If he shoots the Walkers he will get assaulted.

8. Like Psyan liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Eldar View Post
    Guide/Prescience on the Walkers, turbo boost all Jetbikes first turn, to get yourself within assault range. Your opponent has two choices. Take down 30 or so T4, 3+/4++ units, or shoot the Walkers. If he doesn't shoot the Walkers they will decimate every Fire Warrior and battlesuit on the table. If he shoots the Walkers he will get assaulted.
    An excellent overall view of how eldar should be played - damned either way you move
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I disagree. IMHO thebest list to take against tau is tank spam. At 1850 taking 5 wave serpents, a few war walkers and some prisms is a great hard counter against most tau lists. Serpents can target entrenched units (pathfinders and fire warriors) and if not wipe them, force a morale and pinning test (abuse that low leadership!). Prisms and walkers target the battlesuits and any heavy tanks they have.

I have admittedly a limited experience playing tau (4 games total against 2 players) but each game has followed a distinct pattern: I sit off at range, shoot his markerlight support and hamstring him. His suits move into range (or deepstrike down) and the tau army attempts to shoot down my tanks, but due to a lak of markerlight support, and 4+ cover saves on all my tanks, he does little damage - dropping 2ish tanks. We trade fire for a couple of turns and his suits are wiped. Late game I proceed to target and hunt down his troops. Game ends, he has his hammerheads/ionheads and (usually 1-2) riptides left. How come? I ignores them the whole game. Why? They didn't offer much of a threat.

All four games have followed that pattern. I never got a major/table, but every game was a comfortable minor victory.

What's the moral of the story? I don't know really.. Uh... Maybe target priority? Yeah. Lets go with target priority.

Zhu

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Serpent spam vs lots of S7 ignoring cover spam is a bad idea. Tau are a hard match for eldar, but I would back up walkers. Shadow weavers are great, tau behind a ads or jumping behind cover or an ethereal need to die... Shadows weavers own for their pts.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

If you run serpent spam, you won't have your cover ignored. You simply stay out of markerlight range and kill off the markerlight threats before they can get into range. At most, if you deploy badly, they should only get 1 turn of ignoring cover, before the fusion guns and so on are in range. It's actually a tough matchup for them because eldar has the range and long range firepower - it forces the tau army to come to you.

Zhu