500pts Border patrol - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

500pts Border patrol

Right, here's the start of an Empire army I'm thinking of assembling now that I have extra disposable income. Plus I need to get back into fantasy!

Hero

Captain
    - Great weapon
    - Armour of Meteoric Iron
    79pts

Core

Spearmen
    - 25 men
    - Shields
    - Full command
    170pts

Halberdier detachment
    - 10 men
    - Shields
    60pts

Handgunners
    - 10 gunners
    - Musican
    85pts

Special

Pistoliers
    - 5 riders
    - Musican, Champion
    104pts

Totals:
    498pts
    51 models

It is a pretty straight-forward list and it gives me a pretty solid core of models to start out with and it includes things I like - spears, halberds, handguns. The champion and musican in the Pistoliers-unit was mostly taken as a filler since I had 16pts to spend on something I wasn't sure of. Any alternatives on those are appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Holy smokes! Da Mighty Camel in fantasy! It's about time you came to your senses!

For a warband, it looks like an effective build. A big block of spearmen supported by two detachments, each of which is large enough to do damage on its own.

And I really like the Pistoliers. Warbands do great with speedy units, and pistoliers can really pack a punch when the dice are right.

You might have to eat some magic but nothing you can't weather, especially with a block of spearmen that large.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

any magic that may come your way is going straight for the handgunners.

I have a problem with your list. My problem is that you are going to have a super difficult time not getting massacred every game. I would rather you win some games so that you want to continue playing. Border patrols are smaller point and unit games. They even have their own rules. Humans have average to low leadership. You fail 1 panic check and your entire army will flee off the board (with ldshp 8, you will fail 1/4 of the times)

Lots of smaller units will work better for you (that's what the enemy will have) Swordsmen are easily the best core unit of the Empire, harder to hit, harder to kill in combat - everyone else's stats pale in comparison. I would set up your army like so.

2x 10 Handgunners/Crossbowmen (each with 2 detachments of 7-9 swordsmen) Shooting is really good in small games and you need a reason to make the enemy come towards you. If they charge your unit, the swordsmen will clamp down on them and get to strike first. If they charge your detachment, flee and you get a free turn of shooting or a flank charge with the nearby unit. Detachments strike first (like charging) (Crossbows are good for first turn shooting)
    Pistoliers are really good too (shooting, fast cav rules) If you're going to keep the champion, give him a repeater pistol but make sure you have a musician as well.

With the points left over, you may want to get another captain. It bumps up your leadership and gives you a chance to get something stronger for kills (w/ grt wpn)

I think running the units in smaller sizes gives you a better chance to take advantage of the Detachment rules which will be really good in small games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

For everyone's notice, I have been playing fantasy since Wood Elves latest release. So a while that is. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    any magic that may come your way is going straight for the handgunners.
    Magic might be difficult, but I have never faced magic in BPs that I can't handle.

I have a problem with your list. My problem is that you are going to have a super difficult time not getting massacred every game. I would rather you win some games so that you want to continue playing. Border patrols are smaller point and unit games. They even have their own rules. Humans have average to low leadership. You fail 1 panic check and your entire army will flee off the board (with ldshp 8, you will fail 1/4 of the times)
    Oh I am well aware that BPs have their own rules. As I said, been playing this for a few years now.
    I won't take LD-tests every turn will I? And IIRC, the statistical chance of passing a LD 8-test is around 77-80% so not to bad.

Also, I do not throw away an army just because I lose in border patrols. That's silly.

Lots of smaller units will work better for you (that's what the enemy will have) Swordsmen are easily the best core unit of the Empire, harder to hit, harder to kill in combat - everyone else's stats pale in comparison. I would set up your army like so.
    I know Swordsmen rock, but to be honest, I like spearmen better. I would even ratehr take Halberdiers, but they are a bit meh. From my experience, Spearmen are great.
    Since I plan to expand the force I want to build one that will be a solid fundation for future expansions, and MSUs ain't a good base for that. Spearmen, however, will be included in my future lists so they are an obvious choice.
    I want opinions on this list, I don't want you to make a new army list for me.

With the points left over, you may want to get another captain. It bumps up your leadership and gives you a chance to get something stronger for kills (w/ grt wpn)
    Read the Bp rules, 1 character is only allowed. 1.

I think running the units in smaller sizes gives you a better chance to take advantage of the Detachment rules which will be really good in small games
    Perhaps, and I appreciate that you commented on the list, but as I said earlier I want to make a foundation for my future army, not the best BP list that money can buy.

But again, thanks for the comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

I'm not 100% on the BP rules, but I would suggest putting a few extra points into the handgunners. Your spearmen, while awesome, will probably be unwieldly, and you need something tough on the flanks to keep them from being overcome by faster units because of that. The handgunners may be able to handle that, but if it were me I would feel safer if they were bulked up a bit.

Alternatively, I suppose you could do the same with the pistoliers and use them as a sort of mobile defence, but I imagined them charging forwards to harass your opponent.

For interest sakes, the passing leadership 8 is 72%.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

525 (x8)

Ah close, enough then.
    Hm, I see where you are coming from... Any suggestions? removing 5 spearmen gives me 30 points, and I don't want them below 20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Well i would drop shields on the Halberdiers, and plink off 6 spearmen (20 with hero) so mow many points is that, 46?

Unfortunately for you, I have mod powers here. Stop copying my chat ideas !!!! - GN

I didnt, i was writing this before i read chat! Also, i would advise crossbowmen, as the extra range can be nice.

Also, i recommend free company, as their 2 attacks each is verrrry tasty (like ninjas....)
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Hmm. I think a couple of subtle changes can make this list extremely effective, as apposed to the very effective list you have thus far.

1) Drop 6 Spearmen, and put the Captain in that unit to make it an even 20.

2) Drop the Shields on the Halbadiers. They won't need them in flank charge combat.

3) Get 6 Handgunners as a detachment for your spearmen.

Hope this helps

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

525 (x8)

Edit: and it is edited again! 1 handgunner in the deatchment have been dropped along with the handgunner musican to afford a repeater pistol for the Pistolier champion.

Sounds like a good plan! More guns = happy camel!
    Hero

Captain
    - Great weapon
    79pts

Core

Spearmen
    - 23 men
    - Shields
    - Full command
    158pts

Halberdier detachment
    - 10 men

Handgunner detachment
    - 5 gunners

Handgunners
    - 7 gunners

Special

Pistoliers
    - 5 riders
    - Musican, Champion. Champion armed with a Repeater pistol.
    114pts

Totals:
    497pts
    51 models

In future, please don't post unit costs that don't have any upgrades. - GN
    Last edited by Da Mighty Camel; December 28th, 2007 at 20:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel View Post
    Edit: and it is edited again! 1 handgunner in the deatchment have been dropped along with the handgunner musican to afford a repeater pistol for the Pistolier champion.

Sounds like a good plan! More guns = happy camel!
    Hero

Captain
    - Great weapon
    79pts

Core

Spearmen
    - 19 men
    - Shields
    - Full command
    1pts

Halberdier detachment
    - 10 men

Handgunner detachment
    - 5 gunners

Handgunners
    - 10 gunners

Special

Pistoliers
    - 5 riders
    - Musican, Champion. Champion armed with a Repeater pistol.
    114pts

Totals:
    497pts
    57 models
    Nicey, 57 models in a border patrol Well, i would put the Handgunner detatchment on the Handgunner unit, as they will be a favourite to get charged. But thats just nitpicking. Nice list, i shall face it on lorenz.

Of course, its down:

"please be patience, there is a problem with the server. we shall fix it in the next days"
    Last edited by gingerninja; December 19th, 2007 at 15:19.
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread