CHALLENGE: 500pt list from only the Battlion Box - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Whats the most valuable unit you get from the box at 500pts?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knights

17 42.50%
  • Handgunners

2 5.00%
  • State Troops

5 12.50%
  • Pistolers/Outriders

10 25.00%
  • Great Cannon

6 15.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

CHALLENGE: 500pt list from only the Battlion Box

Ok, so the GW I go to is going to start up a WF league but how it is going to run is that at the beginning of the month (April) it will solely be battles at 500pts using ONLY the units from the battlion box and character(s). However, I am having quite a difficult time trying to come up with a list. Some ideas I have already have are:

- Warrior priests are out since their prayers will always be dispelled
    - Cannons are dangerous because if you misfire there goes a 1/5 of your points
    - The low number of statetroops makes it a difficult decision on how to run them

So if you guys could post comments and vote in the poll to give me ideas, that would be great. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

If you want, just pop in a request and try us, Id like to give this a go, though unfortunately i dint actually have the Empire army book. One of us should though no doubt.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...y-builder.html (Librarium Online Army Builder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely the knights.

There are not enough state troops to make a good anvil unit.

I'd try something like this:

hero:
    captain- barded warhorse- full plate & shield- sword of justice- 94pts.
    core:
    7 knights w/ lances & shields- musician- 169pts.
    10 swordsmen- 60pts.
    10 handgunners- 80pts.
    special:
    5 pistoleers- musician- 97pts.

total- 500pts.

Put the captain in with the knights. Try to use the pistoleers to bait units into flank charges from your knights. Keep the handgunners shooting, and use the swordsmen as a guard for the gunners.

Heck, it might even work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post

hero:
    captain- barded warhorse- full plate & shield- sword of justice- 94pts.
    core:
    10 swordsmen- 60pts.
    10 handgunners- 80pts.
    special:

Heck, it might even work
    You know what, I think that this is a pretty good list from the looks of things. I might want to switch out the sword of justice for maybe a sword of striking but I think I am going to do some "TheoryHammer" before I come to a decision. Actually, if you could tell me why you picked sword of justice as opposed to something else, that would be greatly appreciated. I actually thought of possibly upgrading the knights to inner circle and then giving the captain a sword of fate so all would have to do is charge the unit the opponent's character is and then hopefully the sword will slay him, giving me a chunk of vp and possibly winning the combat by a lot if things go good for me.

However, I think I might come up with a super shooty list using the great cannon and a master engineer which when figured out statistically will only misfire ~3% of the time (and yeah yeah, stats mean nothing in a game based on random values but hey, what else can you base it on?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I took the sword of justice for 2 reasons.

1- It was the exact # of points remaining, and I hate leaving points on the table.
    2- Re-rolling wounds means you've got a better chance to force save rolls on higher toughness opponents.

I couldn't figure out a way to keep a magic weapon and fit in the artillery. Course it was right before bed, so my thinking may have been a little fuzzy.
    I guess you could drop to 5 knights, then adjust the gunners to a 5 man detachment, and drop the SoJ for a less costly sword to fit in a mortar or cannon. That's a lot to sacrifice IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Actually if I took the great cannon, I don't think I would take knights at all. I think it would be solely handgunners, cannon, outriders (I would upgrade them since I could have the points) and my swordsmen to protect the line. But once again, I will get back to you on that on thursday (I don't have internet at my place yet and I have to use the library's).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any update?

What list did you end up playing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

So, actually the league doesn't start up until April but I am going to be playing this guy on Tuesday to try out this list:

hero:
    captain- barded warhorse- full plate & shield- lance- Sword of Striking- 93pts.
    core:
    10 swordsmen- 60pts.
    10 handgunners- 80pts.
    special:

I want to go with this because if he is going to be w/ knights then he is going to be charging most of the time and I can really take advantage of that w/ a lance at str 6 rather than a sword that will reroll failed to wounds at str 4. But really it was a hard decision on which magical sword though, because they all have their uses but I went for the one which will help out the best in most situations. But yeah, I will post how the list fairs on wednesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Ok, so yesterday I got to play a Bretonian player and had something like a unit of 6 Errant Knights, two units 10 of Men at Arms, a Paladian BSB and mounted Enchantress. He took lore of Beasts and got Crow's Feast and he bolt thrower one. I knew that his knights errant pretty much have to charge if there is a unit is in range, so I thought that I would move my swordsmen forward, have them get charged and flee and counter w/ my knights and pistolers. But I move my knights forward as well and I didn't know that they could pick which one they wanted to charge so they trampled over my knights and continued onto my handgunners who were slaughtered. My other units were dominated in the magic phase and there was only one combat I won (my pistoliers charging the men at arms) so yeah, real lame battle.

Personally, I don't think that the list is bad, I could of played it alot better if I had the pistoliers come around behind them (there was a piece of terrain which blocked a flank of them but would protect me from the enchantress which I could then blast w/ pistols) instead of setting up for the counter charge. Also, because I chose to accept the charge w/ my knights was a big reason why I lost, if I chose to flee them they probably would of ran away and made it without running off the board, meaning I wouldn't have lost half my points (even though I killed more of his units than he to me). So lesson learned.

But I also realize that magic can be very powerful at this point level so I came up w/ this:

Hero
    Battle Wizard- 140pts
    lvl2, Wizard Staff, Doom Fire Ring
    Core
    Handgunners (10)- 140pts
    Two Detachments of (5) Swordsmen

Knights (5)- 123pts
    Musician
    Special
    Pistoliers (5)- 97pts
    Musician

Total: 500pts, 4 Power Dice, 3 Dispel Dice

I think it can be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

remember to take lore of fire too. Even moderately light shooting can wreak havoc at small points levels, especially when combined with the panic effect of the screaming skull spell (I think that's what it's called).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast