2,250 Imperial Infantry + Magic - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

2,250 Imperial Infantry + Magic

Finally got the 7th edition Empire book, so here's a preliminary list. I am aiming for a well-balanced, infantry and magic heavy list.

Lords & Heroes - 692 pts

Wizard Lord
    Lore of Heaven, Level 4, Orb of Thunder, Grey Wand

Battle Wizard
    Lore of Fire, 2 Dispel Scrolls

Battle Wizard
    Lore of Metal, Level 2, Powerstone, Doomfire Ring

Warrior Priest
    Great Weapon, Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armor, Silver Horn

Core - 978 pts

14 Swordsmen (Wizard Lord's Bodyguard)
    Musician, Standard Bearer

11 Handgunners (Battle Wizard Bodyguard)

11 Knights (Warrior Priest's Bodyguard)
    Shields & Lances, Musician, Standard Bearer

15 Swordsmen
    Full Command

20 Spearmen
    Full Command, Shields, Detachment of 5 Handgunners

12 Archers

Special - 360 pts

15 Greatswords
    Full Command

15 Greatswords
    Full Command

Rare - 220

Helblaster Volley Gun

Helblaster Volley Gun

Total - 2250 pts

Power Dice - 9 (not to mention powerstone, 3 bound spells and prayer of sigmar)
    Dispel Dice - 7 (not to mention 2 dispel scrolls)

There are some odd choices in this army, that I feel like I should explain. First, the Orb of Thunder. My army is almost completely footslogging, slow infantry, so if I can eliminate my opponent's flying ability, I can make up for it a bit and reduce a tactical weakness. Also adds a spell for my opponent to try to dispel.

Secondly, the large number of points on Lords & Heroes, I am trying to dominate the magic phase and I believe these 4 characters will be able to do that quite well.

Third, I think the silver horn will be quite useful as a I have large numbers of low leadership infantry who will probably run, run, run. Also adds another spell for my opponent to try to dispel.

Finally, 2 Helblaster Volley Guns. Probably not going to be that effective, but I know I'll have tons of fun fielding them.

Last edited by grimmtu; June 1st, 2008 at 07:33.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop one of the unit of great swords and make every infantry unit at least 20 models, rarely are you going to beat another army's core troops straight up but you can do it relatively easily with CR, 15 is just too small. dropping one will give you 180 pts which you can use to fill out the rest of your regiments fairly easily

I like all the magic, that will definitely be hard to deal with also maybe go with a cannon rather than 2 hellblasters, it'll allow you to better deal with greater daemons and ogres and the like

also whats the obsession with 11? 11 knights 11 handgunners? round those out to 10s and use the points for something else

also maybe consider some detachments or upping that scroll caddy to a lvl 2? you're going to try to win with magic so you want as much of it as possible. Also maybe drop the commands on the hand gunners, they really wont use it too often, since they shouldn't ever be in cc in the first place and if they are they're likely toast regardless of whether they have standards or musicians. give the of the combat units like knights and swordsmen some champions with those points instead. Also maybe consider taking some of those hand gunner units as detachments, since you aren't giving them champions anyway you don't really loose anything and then they are able to fire in support of the state troops when charged! plus they wont be causing panic and it doesn't cost you any points. maybe make the archers a bit smaller too they're just a little unwieldy at that size. also maybe consider the war banner for the big group of knights? theyll need all the cr they can get, also for just 30 pts more youc an make them inner ciricle
    Last edited by beiltan2003; June 1st, 2008 at 22:03.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by grimmtu View Post
    Finally got the 7th edition Empire book, so here's a preliminary list. I am aiming for a well-balanced, infantry and magic heavy list.

Lords & Heroes - 692 pts

Wizard Lord
    Lore of Heaven, Level 4, Orb of Thunder, Grey Wand

is there any particular reason that you feel compelled to use the Orb of Thunder? I understand the use of the Grey Wand, but I feel that the Orb is too expensive for it's situational usage.

Battle Wizard
    Lore of Fire, 2 Dispel Scrolls

Battle Wizard
    Lore of Metal, Level 2, Powerstone, Doomfire Ring

Warrior Priest
    Great Weapon, Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armor, Silver Horn

like they already said- upgrade the Caddy to lvl2. Also, I would give the mage the silver-horn and swap the Doomfire ring to your Priest. The reason is that your priest will likely be on the line and within range to use the ring. The mage will be "anywhere on the battlefield" to use the SH

Core - 978 pts

14 Swordsmen (Wizard Lord's Bodyguard)

you can hide a mage just as well in a detachment, which will gain all the benefits of just BEING a detachment. If you do this, you would need to drop 1 gunner, and I would drop 2 just to keep the unit symetrical with the mage in it. If you choose not to make them a detachment, drop the musician and standard bearer. The handgunners are not fighters, and that standard and musician are useless.

11 Knights (Warrior Priest's Bodyguard)
    Shields & Lances, Musician, Standard Bearer
    making this a unit of 9 may be more beneficial. I understand wanting a unit with a frontage of 6, but that tactic is typically reserved for MSU armies. A unit of 12 is extremely large, and without getting that second rank's attacks, it's a waste of points. If you want 11 knights in the list, why not make a unit of 6, and a unit of 5 for the Preist? Why not make the Priest's gaurd a special unit? You have the room in your list.

15 Swordsmen
    Full Command
    might i suggest moving 5 of these over to the unit of 14, and then using the remaining 10 as a detachment?

20 Spearmen
    Full Command, Shields, Detachment of 5 Handgunners
    just personal preference, I'd make this unit smaller, and give it's points to the Swordsmen. I like swordsmen far better than imperial spears. Swordmasters are capable of widthstanding more damage, because they effectively have a 4+sv in CC

12 Archers
    please remove this unit or atleast skirmish it. A block of 12 archers is almost useless, their only real purpose in the list is their ability to skirmish in order to redirect charges and move a little faster.

Special - 360 pts

15 Greatswords
    Full Command

15 Greatswords
    Full Command

Rare - 220

Helblaster Volley Gun

Helblaster Volley Gun
    as already stated, it's best to drop one of these and take a cannon istead. A helbaster is really just a very unreliable block of handgunners. Sure, it can absolutely demolish an enemy unit, or it could hardly fire at all and risk exploding. I take one when there is room, but I would rather have a cannon or more handgunners.
    Total - 2250 pts

Power Dice - 9 (not to mention powerstone, 3 bound spells and prayer of sigmar)
    Dispel Dice - 7 (not to mention 2 dispel scrolls)

There are some odd choices in this army, that I feel like I should explain. First, the Orb of Thunder. My army is almost completely footslogging, slow infantry, so if I can eliminate my opponent's flying ability, I can make up for it a bit and reduce a tactical weakness. Also adds a spell for my opponent to try to dispel.

Secondly, the large number of points on Lords & Heroes, I am trying to dominate the magic phase and I believe these 4 characters will be able to do that quite well.
    a warning: The empire is the 'average' for magic. A 'magic heavy' empire list will have trouble keeping up with a similar High Elf list, or Chaos or the new Demons. I tend to skimp on Imperial magic, and run a low number of CC heroes instead.

Third, I think the silver horn will be quite useful as a I have large numbers of low leadership infantry who will probably run, run, run. Also adds another spell for my opponent to try to dispel.

Finally, 2 Helblaster Volley Guns. Probably not going to be that effective, but I know I'll have tons of fun fielding them.
    This list has alot of potential and should do well on the field. Alot of what we pointed out however, are the quirky things that come with experience. Just jump back in, and you should pick it back up quickly
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Well, I played couple 500 point games, my first games of WHFB and I learned a lot, particularly about the artillery and magic - not saying this as a complete newbie who had some bad rolls, saying it as a veteran of 40k, Necromunda and that old Mechwarrior game, who knows a thing or two about table top war games.

I'm putting together a new list right now. Coming soon.

I will probably drop the archers, but remember - Archers now come with skirmishers standard.

+ Reply to Thread