2,000 Tournament Gunline - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

2,000 Tournament Gunline

Before the list I'll just say this is not the sort of army I would bring down to a gaming club. It's a tournament list and would only be used at one.

The army is solid in all areas (Magic/Shooting/Combat) using a combination of firepower, terror, magic and combat to wittle down the enemy while not giving away too many points. With 6 war machines and a scouting unit there are only 4 "units" to deploy so the army will usually get the +1 for first turn and will aim to take off the enemies head early with the combined firepower from the 6 cannons, waiting until the enemy gets within charge range before launching the War Altar and Stanks into combat. Please comment any improvements!

Lord

Arch Lector
    • War Altar
    • Armour of Meteoric Iron
    • Van Horstmans Spec
    • Sword of Might

Heroes

Battle Wizard
    • Level 2 Wizard
    • Dispell Scroll
    • Dispell Scroll

Battle Wizard
    • Level 2 Wizard
    • Dispell Scroll
    • Power Stone
    Battle Wizard
    • Level 2 Wizard
    • Rod of Power
    • Power Stone

Core

Handgunners x10

Handgunners x10

Archers x10
    • Huntsmen

Special

Great Cannon

Great Cannon

Great Cannon

Great Cannon

Rare

Steam Tank

Steam Tank

TOTAL: 2,000

Magic

Power: 8/11 + 2 Stones
    Dispell: 7/10 + 3 Scrolls

Special Notes:

Arch Lector has a 1+ Armour, 4+ Ward, Unbreakable, Magic Res 2, Hatred, Bound spells + spell from War altar and swaps stats in a challenge.

Last edited by Von_Smallhousen; July 11th, 2008 at 00:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your list will deal out some mean damage on the first two turns. But a combat line of 2 steam tanks and an arch lector does not seem dynamic enough to deal with more than a few advancing units. The whole rest of your army's points can easily be taken, regardless of whether they claim those 900 for stanks + lector. I'd shave points here and there, maybe drop a stank or a wizard and get either some infantry or some vanilla knights or pistoliers to patch up the hole sin your battle line and make your combat potential more flexible. You can't win every game in the first 2 turns. I am not putting down your list, it definitely has a lot going for it, I just think you need a more dynamic line to defend yourself once the enemy reaches you. Small units like nilla knights and pistoliers should be able to clean up the tattered units arriving at your lines just as easily as a steam tank. Though its nice to have the lector and one stank to handle the big bad units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Well Von_Smallhousen, you certainly are the embodiment of Magnus' quote, "These make the Empire great: Faith, Steel and Gunpowder." You run a very interesting list, mostly I think that it has a very interesting construction. You by-pass any sort of big blocks, you deploy quickly and what you say is true, you are strong in all three areas...well sort of. I think however it is a very risky list, one that is going to do great against some and pretty bad against others.

Since you are taking this to a tourny, here are my thoughts:

- You are going to have serious trouble against WE. Your cannons aren't going to do very well against any of their skirmisher units or even rank and file archers. And frankly, while they still are shooting a warmachine, that is all you got. 12 wounds and that is nearly 1/4 of your army gone.

-Cannons are risky, especially on Steam Tanks. Misfire is going to hurt alot, especialy on the tanks.

- I agree with caseyc that you should have something substantial to hold off the eventual assault, even if it a cheap block of spearmen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

lol - I see your points Jake & cas, thanks for the responses.

Against an army of infantry blocks the general idea would be to lob every Magic users shootyness + cannon balls straight at the general. From all the damage by the 5th/6th cannon ball there wouldn't be enough of the unit left to grant the character a "look out sir!" role and he'd get a cannon ball in the face. Either that or from shear weight of fire power he'd fail a role. The cannons would obviously be spaced out across the battlefield rather than looking straight at the enemy, getting the extra hits from the diagonal.

Anything that does manage to get close enough would then be facing arguably 3 of the hardest to kill unbreakable units you can fight. The Stanks with their 10 wounds and 1+ save, the Arch Lector with his 1+/4+ save and swapping stats (+unbreakable & 2 heal spells from Prayers and Lore of Light).

Obviously it would be harder to hit the skirmishing armies, but i'd be banking on magic missles and the cannons actually hitting more than one unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kill 1 stank or 2 cannons, take in two units of pistoliers and I will declare your army perfect. As is it lacks march blocking / redirection. My Khorne Cav list I think would be able to beat this list If I got first turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest some unbreakable blocks, like flagellants or swordsmen+priest.
    They are awesome if fielded near machines.

And also, drop 1-2 cannons, 4 are useless, and one tank.
    Instead, put inside one mortar (goblins, undead, skaven) one hellblaster and a small hammer of greatswords.
    It's better, it's shiny, it's warped...it's Chaos.

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Thank god this is only a tournament list. I am not sure you are going to make friends with this list, as it airs on the side of ultra competative. That being said, it is a good version of a gunline. I am not sure how it will fair against the new Vampire Counts or Daemons due to their magic.

Also, you aren't exactly going to get any army construction points for this. Just be careful of armies that can put out more magic than you, or have lots of rock hard troops, IE Dwarves.

As far as changes go, I would drop 2 cannons and 1 of the Tanks for some other artillery, such as the Helblaster, and some more guns if you are keeping this idea. March blocking might be useful too.

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

+ Reply to Thread