Mixed (Perhaps Too Much So) 1000 Point Empire Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member The Unholy Potato's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mixed (Perhaps Too Much So) 1000 Point Empire Army

Hello, all. This will officially be my first post, as my primary reason for signing up was to be able to discuss and contribute (as much as that word can be used in relation to what I plan to do, given my relatively limited knowledge) on the WHFB front.

I was hoping to get some feedback and aid on designing a reasonably small Empire army, my first, in fact, for WHFB. Please feel free to mercilessly tear my ideas to bits and tell me why I'm wrong or right in the ways I'm thinking. I'm hoping to learn something from this experience. Naturally, a thousand thanks–in advance–to any who contribute or advise.

Andre's Remnants

I'm aiming for a rather fluffy and custom-made army, though I'm unsure if my modeling/painting or tactical skills are up to the challenge of such a goal. Andre's Remnants represent the makeshift army that the general, Andre Korthal, has managed to cobble together from several defeated groups, with each unit having a bit of a story of its own.

Heroes

Captain Andre Korthal (General): Captain with Barded Warhorse, Full Plate, Lance, Magic Shield and The White Cloak -- 126 points

White Wizard Benji von Lutt: Level 2 Battle Wizard with Rod of Power and Power Stone -- 150 points

Heroes' Subtotal: 276 points

Core

Swordsmen Regiment (to be named): 20 Swordsmen, Full Command -- 140 points
    --> Halberdier Detachment (to be named): 10 Halberdiers -- 50 points

Handgunner Regiment (to be named): 10 Handgunners, Marksman with Repeater Handgun -- 100 points

Core Subtotal: 285 points

Special

Pistoliers (to be named): 5 Pistoliers, "Full Command," Repeater Pistol for Outrider -- 114 points

Outriders (to be named): 5 Outriders, "Full Command," Hochland Long Rifle for Outrider Champion -- 134 points

Inner Circle Knights (to be named, led by Preceptor Irwin Shaust): 5 Inner Circle Knights, Full Command, Steel Standard -- 185 points

Special Subtotal: 433 points

Sum -- 999 points

Thoughts: These are merely some ideas I came up with when reviewing my list, having not played with it, nor any other Empire (nor Warhammer Fantasy, for that matter!) list, I'm not certain if any of them are true or even partially so.

Strengths?
    • A relatively diverse army, with a hammer in the form of Inner Circle Knights?
    • Highly mobile harassment capabilities?
    • Decent ranged capability?
    • Some bulk of basic troops, in addition to fancy extras?

Weaknesses?
    • Lack of a cohesive purpose or theme?
    • Difficult ideal to realize, perhaps challenging to play for a relative newbie?
    • Handful of wasted points
    • Where are the war machines?!

Edit 1: Corrected minor typing mistakes
    Edit 2: More corrections

Last edited by The Unholy Potato; January 21st, 2010 at 22:50. Reason: Correcting yet another typing mistake.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you need 5 more Handgunners to get your core requirement in. The minimum unit size for non-detachment Handgunners is 10.

It looks like a fun list, but you'll need to play a LOT to get down what to do against your opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh. Right you are. There actually are 10 handgunners in that regiment, that was merely a typing mistake on my part. Thank you for pointing that out!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

With your spare points I'd upgrade the Wizard's Power Stone to a Dispel Scroll instead. I personally wouldn't bother with a Musician in the Handgunner but if it's fluffy keep it.

It's a very small army, very elite. I'd be tempted to get rid of the Champions of the Outriders and Pistoliers, should have enough spare points for a unit of Crossbowmen. I'd also change the Crossbowmen detachment to Archers as they can move-and-fire.

Have you got a colour scheme in mind? Empire are a great army to personalise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have gotten a dispel scroll if that were possible, but the battle wizard is subject to a 50 point limit for magical items, and the scroll would bump that up to 55 points. And, if I were planning to replace the crossbowmen with archers, might it be worth it to merely have them be huntsmen, taking points from other reductions to fill them out to their minimum independent unit size? Using scouts to distract, marchblock, or some such might give more time to get my units into position, but I'm rather naturally unsure about the possibilities there.

I don't have an issue pulling out the musician in the handgunner regiment. I honestly wasn't sure of its importance in the first place, but I thought "better safe than sorry." Additionally, pulling out the champions and musicians from Outriders and Pistoliers would only render up enough points for... Mmmm.... maybe 7 crossbowmen? Not quite enough for a basic unit, unless you were referring to a detachment for something? I'm not dead-set against simply removing units and replacing them with other, larger blocks, but that would be necessary to make a change.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Ah, you're right with the Wizard's allowance, remiss of me.

Okay, a few minutes of furious calculator bashing and Army Book reading has given me this idea: lose the Power Stone from the Wizard, the Champion from the Outriders and the Pistoliers and the Steel Standard from the Knights. That gives enough points for a unit of Crossbowmen.

The other thought I had was to take Halberdiers rather than the Crossbowmen detachment, I don't see the Swordsmen as a defensive unit - ideally they'll be doing the charging so Halberdiers make excellent supporting flank chargers.

Huntsmen are good but fairly expensive, at this points level I think they're points that could be better spent elsewhere. The new Archer/Huntsmen model are awesome. As a side note I use Halfling models as regular Archers and the plastic Archers as Huntsmen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll consider the point shuffling, but I worry that the loss of the BS 5 HLR shots from the Outrider unit will reduce its effectiveness and tactical options to an unpleasant degree. I do suppose that Pistoliers wouldn't suffer too unduly from the reduction in firepower that the loss of their Outrider would represent, given that destroying anything isn't really their goal in the first place (or within their capabilities, in most cases). Shortening the charge range of the Knights and losing some of the casting ability of the wizard is an obvious loss, but likely one that could be accommodated for.

If I turn the Crossbow/Bowmen detachment into one of Halberdiers, I would guess that it might be an idea to up them to a unit of 10 (doable, if just barely), to avoid the possibility of losing the flanking bonus if they took too many casualties?

As for the color scheme: no, I currently do not have one formulated, though I've been strongly considering a several different ones, to represent the heterogeneity and rag-tag nature of Andre's army of Men.

Finally, I do find myself worrying about the size issue. Given that, even with the army measures up to a mere 57 models, even with a Halberdier regiment instead of Crossbowmen, it'd be possible for me to be outnumbered by freaking Chaos Warriors, if my opponent cared to do so. Since I am playing the Empire, should I be giving more consideration to finding better ways of ensuring that the ranks are suitably swelled with sword fodder?

+ Reply to Thread