>3000 2500 Tournament List vs. Orcs and Goblins - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    has a ca-fading facade Jackmoddle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    223 (x4)

2500 Tournament List vs. Orcs and Goblins

I'm playing in a campaign game against O & G next week. I have seen him use at least one very large block of orcs (maybe Big 'Uns) and I hear his characters tend to be maxed out as big combat killers. In the campaign I have 3 named characters and 2 named units which can't change (* indicates these, units can be bigger or smaller though). Also worth noting is that only one Lord is allowed in each of our armies (so he will either have a Warboss or a Great Shaman, not both). Let me know what you think of the list.

Characters

*Arch Lector on barded warhorse
    -Heavy Armour, Shield
    -Mace of Helstrum, Dawnstone

*Captain on barded warhorse
    -BSB, Sword of Fate

*Battle Wizard on barded warhorse
    -Lvl. 2, Life
    -Sword of Justice, Van Horstmann's Speculum

Battle Wizard
    -Lvl. 2, Shadow
    -Rod of Power, Ring of Volans

Warrior Priest
    -AoMI, Great Weapon

Master Engineer

Core

*29 Swordsmen with command
    - Detachment of 10 Halberdiers
    - Detachment of 10 Crossbows

29 Halberdiers with command
    - Detachment of 10 Free companies
    - Detachment of 14 Handguns

*7 White Wolves with command and Great Weapons
    - War Banner

5 Knights with command

Special

5 Inner Circle Knights with standard and champ

5 Outriders with musician and champ

2 Great Cannons

Rare

Helblaster Volley Gun

Total: 2504

This army's characters were made to counter cheese characters in the armies I normally face (VC, DE, WoC) but I think they should work nicely here. I want to place the artillery on my flanks to direct his pricey low armour units to the middle where the two infantry blocks can tie them up for a bit. The knights can hopefully provide flanking and the characters will disperse to their respective targets of choice (Arch Lector to Large Targets/characters, Battle Wizard to the general). Hopefully the 3 extra DD plus the rod of power will help me subdue if not control the magic phase.

Honey badger don't care.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Hope that I can provide some helpful advice. Here we go:

Characters:
    Interesting build. I'm guessing you put him with the White Wolves? Actually, is he a priest of Sigmar or Ulric? Just out of curiosity. Glad to see you have a Life wizard in there, I would consider him to be manditory now adays. I don't know why you gave your captain sword of fate if he's a BSB but too late changing that. Taking a wizard with lore of shadow is quite clever and useful for this battle. Consistant use of Miasma can give you more time to whiddle his big block down and Smoke and Mirrors can be dangerous to his big bad characters if you picked them w/ your Sword of Fate. However, I do not approve of the Ring. It's too random and consistancy has proven to be one of the more important aspects of this game (see Dark Elves). Rather, I would suggest a dispel scroll (preventing them from WAAAHGGGing is key), a luckstone or perhaps another magic banner. Priest is a proven build, very good. Engineer....frankly, I don't feel like you get enough out of the Helblaster as it is, much less making it BS 4 w/ a 65pt upgrade. Rather, if your opponent is prone to using big blocks, invest in two mortars. They are great because they are cheap and they demolish huge units like the ones your opponent is running.

Units:
    I don't know if you have considered this but you might want to make your Halberdiers 7 wide. I tell you this because they need to kill in order to win combat and against orcs, with a Warrior Priest, they might just be able to do the job. I would keep your swordsmen 5 wide though, keep them as a tarpit that you can then destroy with one of your knight units. On that note, I think that it might be a waste to have a unit of 10 halberdiers on the side when your objective is to outlast them. The core knights are....difficult. I haven't had much success unless I commit numbers and a priest to them but you could probably have luck against any spear chuckas he has but other than that, I don't know what you would be able to do with that few attacks. I would seriously think about bumping up your IC numbers and putting your Arch Lector with them. Everything else seems designed to wear your opponent out but that doesn't win battles, units that break your opponent does.

Well, that's all I got for ya. Let me know if it helps at all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Thanks for all that. I agree with your character comments but I was new when I created the named characters and I can't change them now. Yeah, the AL tends to go with the Wolves so he is themed as Ulric with stuff from the Middenheim sprues. He is good at surprising people because they don't usually expect Warrior Priests to bring much to combat. He's ideal for the mace because he only has 2 attacks to start and has good T and W to last longer. The dawnstone is just to give him survivability and paired with the 4+ ward save makes him good at surviving/ killing characters and monsters.

You are probably right about the Ring of Volans- I will try take it out. I also just remembered that the town this army is in lets me take a free lvl 1 wizard with 25 points of magic items, so dispel scroll is covered. You're dead on with the smoke and mirrors strategy. Also, if I get steed of shadows I can fly my characters towards their intended targets. I invest a lot in my helblasters because I have ridiculous luck with them (to the point where I have only had one blown up out of five games) and I think it's worth it to have it accurate for those one or two turns where it causes big damage. On the other hand my luck with mortars is awful. But you're right, maybe if I can move around points I will include a mortar as well, splitting the cost of the engineer.

On the topic of knights, they are a tough call for me. I have a large collection of them and limited supplies of infantry. I have had some success grouping them in small, bare-bones units with characters. They aren't great at lasting the battle but they are actually rather versatile for the points cost, and if they die it doesn't necessarily turn the tide in VP. I'll add to the IC knights to try and get more breaking ability out of them.
    Honey badger don't care.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Revised:

Characters

*Arch Lector on barded warhorse
    -Heavy Armour, Shield
    -Mace of Helstrum, Dawnstone

*Captain on barded warhorse
    -BSB, Sword of Fate

*Battle Wizard on barded warhorse
    -Lvl. 2, Life
    -Sword of Justice, Van Horstmann's Speculum

Battle Wizard
    -Lvl. 2, Shadow
    -Rod of Power

Warrior Priest
    -AoMI, Great Weapon

Master Engineer

Battle Wizard
    -Lvl.1, Shadow
    -Dispel Scroll

Core

*29 Swordsmen with command
    - Detachment of 10 Crossbows

29 Halberdiers with command
    - Detachment of 10 Free companies
    - Detachment of 10 Handguns

*6 White Wolves with command and Great Weapons
    - War Banner

5 Knights with command

Special

7 Inner Circle Knights with standard and champ

5 Outriders with musician and champ

2 Great Cannons

Mortar

Rare

Helblaster Volley Gun

Total: 2504
    Honey badger don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Being comfortable with the list that you are playing is much more important than trying to optimize it. Ultimately, your ability to play is the biggest factor in whether you win or not. Well, good stuff with the free wizard, it will help you all the more. With all the characters, though, you might want to think about sticking one of your wizards with a warmachine crew. It's a nifty spot that offers great protection (so long as it doesn't blow up!). And good stuff with all the warmachines, I think that you should be able to whittle him down to bite sized pieces before your knights go chowing down. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

I'm pretty sure it says in this edition that characters can't join warmachines (pg. 97). Not even engineers can join them, they just technically stand close and get Look Out, Sirs. Thanks for the advice though!
    Honey badger don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well for starters why not give your arch lecter dawn armour, this gives him access to full plate and gives him the re roll As, you could then chuck in the potion of speed, and there you have it, an assassin! you could then give the priest the dawn stone, making him a tank! id also recomend not giving the bsb the sword of fate, id try and give him some deffensive gear, i think the capatain with the sword of fate should be on a pegasus, with the charmed shield and potion of foolhardiness. i also agree with JakeHunter about the small melee attachments, loose them, have bigger units of knights and make them do the flanking, and def run the arch lecter with the white wolfs, make them inner circle, and make it like 10 strong.

Well dont know if thats helpfull, hope it is, and good luck with it anyway!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

I agree with the character comments from both you guys but like I said the campaign doesn't allow me to change equipment on my named characters, only add or remove it. And that also means I can't give those items to my other characters. Sucks but such is the campaign. I think they will serve me well but we'll see. I took out the last melee detachment and added knights to each of the blocks for good measure.
    Honey badger don't care.

+ Reply to Thread