Librarium Online Forums banner

2500 tournament

<3000 
716 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Marnepup 
#1 · (Edited)
This is for the local tourney scene, which isn't quite as WAAC as ard boyz, and does place (a lot of) value on painting and (some) on WYSIWYG-ness, so this list isn't quite optimized, but it does require very minimal work in terms of new models painted in time for the tournament (in the last two weeks, I've done the last five swordsmen needed, as well as six of the ten greatswords that I was short, leaving me with four greatswords and a mortar to get done in the next few weeks-obviously, there's time to go a bit beyond that, if you have good suggestions). Frinstance, I'm not convinced that I need a full thirty greatswords, having scraped by with twenty in the past, but I wish I had time to get my swordsmen blocks up to 35 or 40 each...

Lords:

L4 Wizard Lord (lore of life) on pegasus with holy relic, rod of power, and sword of battle

Arch Lector with Armor of Destiny, fencer's blades (er, make that smith's hammers, lol), other trickster's shard

Heroes:

BSB with talisman of preservation, plate armor, and luckstone

Warrior Priest with Armor of Meteoric Armor, dawnstone, and great weapon

Engineer

Core:

30 swordsmen with full command and detachment of 15 halberdiers

30 swordsmen with full command and detachment of 15 halberdiers

10 crossbowmen

10 crossbowmen

10 handgunners

Special

Great Cannon

Great Cannon

Mortar

Mortar

5 Pistoliers with musician

30 Greatswords with FC

Each swordsman block gets a cleric. The greatswords get the BSB. If I'm in an obvious "brace for impact" situation, I can get all three melee regiments inside the LD and BSB bubbles with no problems, except that dressing my ranks in such close order will make it had to find good LOS for the three shooter blocks (who mainly serve to defend the artillery against warmachine hunters anyway), otherwise, each is at least LD8, and can operate a little more spread out without sacrificing the BSB bubble, leaving gaps for the shooters to peek through. The one engineer will have to choose before each game whether to support the cannons or the mortars, depending on which looks more likely to be the more useful...the other pair will actually separate, spreading four pieces across three locations, further complicating the enemy's attempts to counter them. The pistoliers act as flank guard if I go refused-flank, or try to get flank shots (so less chance of return fire) on enemy shooters, or help counter warmachine hunters. The wizard lord is as self-sufficient as I can make him, and not entirely unable to intercept a warmachine hunter himself, or tie up, for example, a small block of HE archers, in melee. With +1A, 4++, S/T4, and the pegasus's attacks, such a fight would be a slaughter. Obviously, the two main elements of the list are the three statie regiments and the artillery...everything else serves to buff the troops or protect the guns. It's a little different take on hammer/anvil...the idea being that the artillery breaks the enemy down into units small enough for the swordsmen to handle with no more support than just their own halberdiers.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Um, doesn't any armor other than the armor of tarnus prevent you from casting? And doesn't the charmed shield pop on the first hit, as opposed to the hit of your choice, making it effectively useless in an open list setting? I don't have the book in front of me ATM...

I know it's a risk, but how often do you really run into cannons? There's exactly one other empire army in circulation in my shop, and TBH, this list runs rings around it even without the mage (not that I'm that keen to spot him 360 points!). And if his cannons are shooting at my mage...my cannons are shooting at his cannons. Advantage: me. I'm actually fairly comfortable taking a 4++ against the occasional cannon...the pegasus seems to have done more to keep the mage alive against enemy warmachine/mage hunters than it's done to make him easier to target. The lore of life attribute also helps, especially against the occasional wound from conventional shooting, as does the healing prayer. I could switch to a model on foot, and it would eliminate the risk that you're describing, as opposed to merely managing it...but this isn't exactly ard boyz, so I'm going to go with style over substance on this one.

By the way, I have a practical joke planned for the next tournament...I should be getting Elspeth in the mail this week...so, assuming that I get her reasonably well painted (certainly still WIPy, given that I still need to finish two greatswords, paint two more greatswords, and paint a mortar with crew in the time remaining) in time, I'll just nonchalantly set her on my assigned table before game one..."what? Oh, you didn't think I meant to field her...my bad."

/edit/ just got Elspeth today. Amazing model, I won't exactly do a project log, but I will put up a thread detailing my impressions as I go... Call it project log lite!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.