[1000] Ostland - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [1000] Ostland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

[1000] Ostland

As some probably already know, I'm trying out all races "to get the hang".
    Here's my try on Empire:

Captain (78 )
    great weapon, full plate armour, shield
    barded warhorse

24 Halbediers (338 ) w/ Captain
    shields
    full command
    Griffon Banner
    detachment: 11 Free Company
    detachment: 8 Free Company

24 Halbediers (303)
    shields
    full command
    Banner of Duty
    detachment: 12 Free Company
    detachment: 8 Free Company

10 Handgunners (100)
    Marksman w/ repeater handgun

5 Huntsmen (50)

6 Pistoliers (131)
    Marksman w/ repeater pistol

= 1000

Before you start, I know Swordsmen are better (on most parts), but I like to keep it fluffy. Besides, with good use of detachments, the difference in quality won't be such a problem. If some badass cavalry unit comes charging in, I always have detachments to divert them and charge with the Halbediers the next turn.

The strategy should be clear.
    Two regiments marching into their main force. The Captain is just for leadership and generating a little CR.
    The Handgunners will protect one flank and give support fire.
    The Huntsmen are there for setting the enemy up and the Pistoliers for some much needed flexibility.

What do you think?
    Note that I'm not going to field this army, it's just for trying out Empire.

Tai'shar

Last edited by Araith; June 24th, 2005 at 15:59.
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure y you need huntsmen, but then again I"m not very good with skirmishers.

Try free company, those guys make awesome detachments. Also crossbowmen are sweet ^_^

25 halberders per unit is a bit strange but I'm sure you have your reasons.

So may adivice: just add free company.

Oh and the captain would benifit from armor of meteoric iron (since he is on foot and has great wep and all that.)
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

?? Euh ...

All units have 2 Free Company detachments.
    The Captain is on horseback.
    And it are 24 Halbediers per unit.

And I feel I'd need the Huntsmen because the Halbedier formations are not the most flexible ones. So I need something to set the enemy up for them.

With his horse he already has a 1+ save vs shooting.

Tai'shar

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whoops, didn't see the detachment :rolleyes:

As they are seperate units is never look for them in the parent unit's equipment.

The cap has a horse :huh Man I'm going blind.

But anyway what about in CC, no more save in CC, only full plate, mounted and barding which is 2+.... which is still good...I see your point. For mounted empire characters I like ether a lance or a magic sword but thats just my opinion.

Also try cross bow men then.

Maybe some inner circle knights? I just love those guys.

Today I was in a battle report and saw 7 knights take down 20 choas warriors while only losing one of their number :lol:.

In that same game my HEs were charged by bret knights, I got 2 overkill on his champ in a challenge but I was run down. How cruel :mad:
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

^_^

In that same game my HEs were charged by bret knights, I got 2 overkill on his champ in a challenge but I was run down. How cruel :mad:
    Cruel? Cruel is charging a RBT crew with 14 Black Orks. Then the crew win the fight, the Orks flee and are overrun.
    That's cruel.

As you can see it's quite tight on points. So a magic weapon is not an option. Besides, +2 S in fine enough.
    I didn't take a lance because the infantry won't always be charging, being infantry. But thinking over it again, striking last poses disadvantages also. So I'll change it to a lance.

I wanted to give the Handgunners a Crossbow detachment. But I had to drop the idea because of lack of points.

IC Knights are cool yes. But I consider it unfluffy to take one on itself. So I'd have to take 2 units of Knights. And there are no points for that. Besides, the main shock comes from the Halbediers in this army.
    The cavalry is only for support.

I could also call this a mediaeval Swiss army. :lol: I can't say I wasn't inspired by them.

Tai'shar
    Last edited by Araith; June 28th, 2005 at 15:24.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats immposible, the black orc thingy, unless they were in loose order...

Well I guess your set them ^_^

Still Id go for swordsmen with halberder detachments, or a greatswords unit with a halberder and freecompany detachment. But thats for 2000 point games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

As I said in the first post, as long as I take the charge on my detachments, I can charge him in my turn. Then Halbediers are not inferior to Swordsmen.

I don't know about those Black Orcs. It's just sth I was told when I entered the club some time ago. I'd love have seen it happen. I just guess those Orks only had 1 rank. It could have been less Orks too, but I seem to remember 14.

What do you think the weaknesses of this army are?

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think you have many holes in your army, but i think it isn't very good to 'get a feel for', which may be the one hole you have to worry about.
    Empire works through the infantry/calv/arilllery mix, which i'm sure you know, and at such a low pts level, you won't get the hang of it.
    otherwise;
    i) i might vote on getting a wiz in there. i don't know where the pts would come from, but he'd be useful.
    ii) your handgunner block is a bit big and unwieldly. i don't know how you'd shrink it, normally i'd suggest splitting it up into detachments, but your playstyle needs those FC. it'll work, it just can't lose any militia.
    iii) good to you for already having big infantry block size. hate having to explain to people why you can't run around with 16man units. same with the huntsmen, one of the most valuable units beside the pistoliers.
    iv) you might consider dropping shields. it'll free up a fair whack of pts. their no use in combat since you shouldn't be using them anyways, and aggainst missile fire, you should be able to lock down fields of fire between your huntsmen and pistoliers. many armies will be like yours with one big fire support unit (which may be why i don't like your gunners. more eggs in one basket, easier to lose).
    v) consider swapping your repeater handgun for a hochland long rifle (sniper), invaluable aggainst vamps and other armies with key casters, or units like Empire that really suffer from losing thier banner to a sniper round (be carful with that one however, if you overrun them, but sniped out the banner, you missed out on some good VP's).
    vi) not really advice, but i'm with you on your placement of detachments in a list. since thier so dependent on thier parent unit, they might as well be equipment for all the freedom they have.

i guess i sidestepped your last question to give general advice, but weaknesses;
    no magic, only missile unit looks vulnerable, might have trouble with prolonged combat and uber heros. all are kinda small though, and can be avoided by playing right (all can actually be solved by good use of your pistoliers).
    hope it helps
    that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

+ Reply to Thread