2000 pts Altdorf Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

2000 pts Altdorf Army

Well this is my most competitive list so far and it would be good if someone could rate it. There's a little magic defense, all the heroes support the infantry regiments and the Count Elector is there to give his precious leadership to the less "gifted" infantry men. The infantry make a solid center and with the Hellblaster between them I believe I can dish out some pain before going in close combat. The versatility and the mobility come from the 3 units of Knights (one of them being a nice hammer unit) and from the Pistoliers that love to harass enemy troops.

My only regret is not being able to field 2 detachment of 8 Handgunners for my swordsmen but so far I've been really deceived by their performance. If someone is happy with them I would be glad to hear it because I believe a squad of 6 Knights is better than them. I'm not sure if I will not miss my huntsmen... If it's the case I will drop some Swordsmen and I'll bring them back in my list.

Also this list is adaptable depending on the opponent I face. If I want more magic I take 2 level 2 wizards with RoP and 2 Dispell Scrolls and give some vacation to the captains. If I face Chaos or skavens I take 2 Priests of Sigmar instead of the 2 captains to help out the Swordsmen Regiment.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Heroes

Count Elector (161 pts)
    General; Armor of Meteoric Iron; Holy Relic; Great Weapon
    (will be in the Swordsmen regiment with the Banner of Duty)

Battle Wizard of the Celestial order level 1 (110 pts)
    Dispel Scroll X 2

Captain (62 pts)
    Full Plate Armor; Great Weapon
    (will be in the front row of a swordsmen regiment)

Captain (62 pts)
    Full Plate Armor; Great Weapon
    (will be in the front row of a swordsmen regiment)

Core

10 IC Knights (325 pts)
    Warhorse; Barding; Lance; Full Plate Armor; Shield; Full Command; Warbanner

6 White Wolf Knights(150 pts)
    Warhorse; Barding; Cavalry Hammer; Full Plate Armor

6 Knights(138 pts)
    Warhorse; Barding; Lance; Full Plate Armor; Shield

28 Swordsmen (281 pts)
    Light Armour; Shield; Full Command; Banner of Duty
    Detachment #1 - 10 Free Company

28 Swordsmen (271 pts)
    Light Armour; Shield; Full Command
    Detachment #1 - 10 Free Company

Special

5 Pistoliers (112 pts)
    Light Armour; Marksmen with a Repeater pistol

1 Great Cannon (100 pts)

1 Great Cannon (100 pts)

Rare

1 Hellblaster

Total Army Cost: 1997 pts
    Casting Pool: 3
    Dispel Pool: 3
    Models in Army: 119

Last edited by Thyr; February 20th, 2006 at 00:19.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a great list but i'd get rid of a great cannon in exchange for a mortar and use the extra points to mount one of your captains and put him with the unit of 10 knights to make a very effective cavalry hammer, because you don't need him in the same unit as the elector count

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

111 (x3)

Well this list gave me some nice games and it's fairly competitive but I changed it over time. I suffered a little bit too much against heavy magic armies so now I'm playing with 2 Battle Wizard most of the time. Also a BSB found his way into my army and he lead a unit of Swordsmen into combat with the Sigismund banner.

Also I dropped the unit of 10 IC knights and a cannon and replaced one of the Swordsmen unit by a Greatswords unit, they are truly great especially with the Elector Count at their head. In addition I took some Handgunners, 1 detachment of 8 and a unit of 10 and Hunstmen found a place in this list too, they are great too and couldn't live without them for long .

So now I have a good magic defense, a battle line that hold with 2 stubborn units (with re-rollable LD test), flankers (or anti-flankers), some artillery and some shooting.

Also I made something different the last 2 games I played by taking Swordsmen detachment instead of Free Company, they are a lot more resilient and I don't miss their 2 attacks too much when I get to make an armour save It gives me a better CR overall when I don't lose that many models in CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing though is that i find greatswords to be the type of unit you don't put martial characters in as they don't need their leadership in fact often they're better off without it and they are just fine without any help in combat although they make a great unit to defend wizards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

111 (x3)

I agree they can fend for themselves quite well. The army list I have though only have 2 infantry units and I have a BSB who is geared to go with the Swordsmen (with the banner of Sigismund) so the Elector Count fit quite well with them and on top of that they are supposed to be his personal guard so fluff wise it's the perfect setting.

Anyway I played with them today and I faced a Saurus Oldblood Lord on a Carnosaur and they killed him even if they lost 14 men, 8 of them dying on the charge. That LD 9 was great to have.

I will keep the BSB in the Swordsmen unit and the Elector Count in the Greatswords for now it is a very good setup. I'm waiting for the arrival of an old captain on a Pegasus model and I will use him to represent my Elector Count on a Pegasus. Equipped with a lance and a Pistol he's going to be fun to play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya i suppose you have a good point there and it can help to have some added combat power in any empire unit them not having the statline of the century

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love your list it looks very tough, but i would put another units of pistoliers in so you can use them with the two units of six knights. put pistoliers forward they get charge by cav etc flee counter with knights.
    Also i may have missed it but you seem not to be using the griffon standard, in a large unit before a combat even begin you get 8 combat res. you also said you now use two battle wizards have you given one rod of power for extra dispell or power very usefull. i would not put your elector count on peg i usally leave that to a captain and let him hunt wizards and warmachines.
    'work to live do not live to work'

+ Reply to Thread