[2000] Empire First Try - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

[2000] Empire First Try

Well before I plop down the money for a lizardman army I want to make sure that the basic army (empire) is not a better starting point. I'm sure you've seen a crap load of noobie lists like mine posted but please comment on anythin I could improve upon.

Lord: 146
    Elector Count (146): Great Weapon, Full Plate Armor, Shield, Holy Relic

Heroes: 284
    Battle Wizard (165): Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, Rod of Power

Warrior Priest of Sigmar (119): Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Shield, Warhorse W/ Barding

Core: 1157
    24 Swordsman (193): Full Command
    8 Free Company (40)
    8 HandGunners (64)
    (297)

25 Spearmen (175): Full Command
    8 Free Company (40)
    8 HandGunners (64)
    (279)

8 HandGunners (64)

8 HandGunners (64)

8 Huntsman (80)

5 Knights of the Inner Circle (195): Full Command, Warbanner

6 Knights (178 ): Full Command

Special: 287
    5 Pistolliers (112): Marksman W/ Repeater Pistol

Great Cannon (100)

Mortar (75)

Rare: 125
    Hellblaster (125)

Total: 1999
    Models: 127

Last edited by thedrifter777; May 30th, 2006 at 07:00.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a new player myself, but I think it is a pretty solid list, however - take your count off the pegasus! If you want a flying wizard/artillery hunter, put a captain on a pegasus for a mere 100 points. The rest of your army needs the count's ld and you don't want to put him at such risk anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Thank you for the comment. I revised alot the list to help deal with flanks and faster units like skirmishers. please tell me what you think.
    "Dare to be Naive"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like what you've done with the list, seeing as how you've turned it into a very hard hitting force, but I have a couple suggestions.

First, take the count off his mount and have him march on foot with one of your units of swordsmen so he can lend them his ld and his much needed combay ability.

Secondly, I assume the Warrior Priest will be riding with one unit of knights so change one unit of knights to 6 --- 7 is too many, you will have knights that will be useless in combat because they won't be able to touch enemy unit bases --- and another unit to 5 (that one will have the warrior priest so it'll be a total of 6). Also take the pistoliers down to 5, that's standard for fast cav and you'll still pack a powerful punch.

Now, these changes, (assuming you drop 1 IC knight and 2 normal knights - to put the WP with the normal ones), lend you 151 points.

With these points you could do several things - add another detatchment to each of your main swordsmen units, get some huntsmen to have scouts/skirmishers (you could actually add an 8 man detatchment of free company to both units and get 5 huntsmen), get more handgunners to add to your shooting ability, or you could even get another unit of 6 knights!

Whatever you do, post the changes - I like how your army is shaping up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a few years since I played, but I can still give a few hints:

First off; ALWAYS have detachments. Seriously. The handgunner units should be detachments to the swordsmen. They can stand and shoot when the main unit is charge, very powerful. The downside to this is that you'll get a rather compact army, but that's not really a problem for the Empire. At least split one of them into two 5-man detachments if you wants some flexibility. I like having one unit of swordsmen and one of spearmen, but that's just personal preference I guess.

I like having knights in units of 8(when heroes is included), for the rank bonus. I agree with the others here, your elector should go with the infantry. I would add a captain to go with the second unit of knights. Also, add champions to your knights. That's one more S5/6 attack, at a low cost. They can also once in a while win challenges against some heroes, as well as accepting from champions so your hero can concentrate on whacking troopers instead of overkilling the champion.

As the other guy said, 5(at most 6) is the optimal size for pistolliers. And a pistollier champion with a repeating pistol is very good...

Might also want to change one cannon into a mortar, their extremely good against light infantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Thank you very much for the detailed comments. I tried to makes as many of the suggested revisions as possible. Any more comments would be appreciated.
    "Dare to be Naive"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the army looks quite good. You'll probably do a lot of twiddling with it once you start playing and get some experience with it. You'll figure out how many characters you'll need, what sizes the units should be, what magic items work and which war engines to use. All of these changes are relatively inexpensive, and lets face it; you're going to build on the army no matter what

However, I would suggest 2 things:
    1. Swap on of the swordsmen for spearmen. The swordsmen are great attackers, while the spearmen are great defenders(by empire standards, that is). There always seems to be a spearman block forming the central anchor in empire armies, there is a reason for it...

2. Upgrade one of the cannons to a hellblaster. The Hellblaster is THE one unit you should definitely try out and make up your mind wether it's good or not. Some people hate it, some people love. I'm in the second group. Just having one in the middle of the line threathening to annihilate anyone attacking my infantry really screws up my opponents battle plan. Will he advance taking the pain, will he try to outmanouver it or will he use lots of magic to destroy it, thus sparing the rest of your army? Either way you win... Even if it blows up on the first shot you win, as few enemies choose the first option. Just don't be too eager to fire it, choose your target wisely, be 110% sure it's in range and don't risk blowing up to shoot at goblins...

As a final comment, I love your two small units of handgunners. Try out the following tactic: stick them some distance away from the rest of the army, but still within range of the advancing enemy. Your enemy now has a difficult choice, if he decides to take them out, he'll waste his fast cavalry for a few turns, saving your flanks for a while. If he ignores them, you get 6 turns of firing, what could be better than that? Of course, there are many exceptions and other stuff to this, so it's not a killer tactic, but it's something that's worth trying out a few times...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Again thank you for the detailed comment. Changed a unit of swordsman to spearmen as suggested. The hellblaster is a weapon I'm sure I'll like after some playtesting but I'd like to start with a less complicated weapon like the great cannon first. And I will defenitley try that handgunner tactic, although I am curious if this does not uneccasrily expose them to enemy skirmishers? Changed a few small equipment choices on the heroes around. Of course its all theory-hammer but I couldn't figure out how I was going to get enough dispel dice to even counter a light magical foe but the rod of power presented an obvious recourse.
    Last edited by thedrifter777; May 29th, 2006 at 07:48.
    "Dare to be Naive"

+ Reply to Thread