Themes! Themes! Themes! 3 Themed army lists (1000pts) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

Themes! Themes! Themes! 3 Themed army lists (1000pts)

What point is there in having an army, if you don't have a great story to go with it?
    With this in mind, I'm posting 3 army lists, each of 1000pts, and each with a different theme/background story.
    Just so you know, I'm only designing lists while waiting for the new edition book to be released (apparently Empire book is going to be in time for Christmas ), when I can actually work on a list with the updated stats/costs/equipment/info, that I can start building.

First up is an army fighting to maintain the quiet graves of the region. Lead by a Priest, and aided by a Mage, the troops are well trained, prepared and protected for their particular mission against the undead.
    Stirbendeheim Grave Patrol (FB1000) Empire Army

1 Warrior-Priest of Sigmar (General) w/Great Weapon; Heavy Armour
    20 Swordsmen inc/Standard; Sergeant
    10 Detachment - Free Company
    6 Detachment - Archer

1 Battle Wizard of the Light Order w/Magic Level 2; Wizard's Staff; Armour of Tarnus
    20 Swordsmen inc/Standard; Sergeant
    6 Detachment - Handgunners

6 Knightly Orders

1 Great Cannon

Casting Pool: 4
    Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 80

Total Army Cost: 1000

Next we have a small Hockland town, trying to defend itself from the beasts that roam the forests. While it has nothing particularly powerful in the list, when defending against a horde, numbers count for a lot, and it does have numbers.
    Lichteneichen Hockland Garrison (FB1000) Empire Army

1 Captain (General) w/Great Weapon; Full Plate Armor; Doomfire Ring
    29 Halberdiers inc/Sergeant; Standard
    12 Detachment - Swordsmen

25 Spearmen w/Shield inc/Standard
    12 Detachment - Halberdiers

12 Handgunners inc/Standard
    5 Detachment - Handgunners
    6 Detachment - Halberdiers

1 Great Cannon

Casting Pool: 2
    Dispel Pool: 2

Models in Army: 118

Total Army Cost: 1000

Last but not least, is an expedition from the School of Engineering, something for the apprentices to gain some practical field-repair and maintainence experience. Lead by a pair of Master Engineers, it's not quite as stable as some forces in the field (low LD), but more than makes up with it through the application of firepower (even though it is not a gunline army)
    School of Engineering Expedition (FB1000) Empire Army

1 Master Engineer (General) w/Repeater Handgun; Light Armour
    11 Handgunners inc/Standard; Marksman w/Repeater Handgun
    5 Detachment - Halberdiers

1 Master Engineer w/Repeater Pistol; Light Armour; Warhorse
    5 Pistoliers inc/ Marksman w/Repeater Pistol

20 Halberdiers inc/Standard; Musician
    10 Detachment - Swordsmen

20 Halberdiers inc/Standard; Musician
    10 Detachment - Swordsmen

1 Great Cannon

Casting Pool: 2
    Dispel Pool: 2

Models in Army: 97

Total Army Cost: 999

Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I think that the first list is risky, since the units are small and vulnerable, and the swordsmen just don't cut it against elite enemies. More knights would probably solve the problem.

The Hockland list is OK but again some knights are needed or perhaps Pistoliers to add to the mobility and protect against hard units.

The engineering list is good but why have 2 engineers with only one cannon? I know that he can go with the pistoliers but a captain would do a better job really

Hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Hex
    I think that the first list is risky, since the units are small and vulnerable, and the swordsmen just don't cut it against elite enemies. More knights would probably solve the problem.
    Swordsmen don't cut it? They are widely considered to be the best foot troops that the Empire has.....

The Hockland list is OK but again some knights are needed or perhaps Pistoliers to add to the mobility and protect against hard units.
    I will accept that it lacks mobility, but it's more of a defensive army protecting a town against the foe, and knights need the space to charge that you don't get inside the walls of a town. I do actually have a similarly themed list that has DoW light cavalry in it (peasants with horses), but they're not heavy cavalry, and so they'd be "worthless".

The engineering list is good but why have 2 engineers with only one cannon? I know that he can go with the pistoliers but a captain would do a better job really
    A Captain would do a better job, if the list wasn't themed to be an Engineers list, or if he could take a repeater pistol. Of course why not just take a Priest, that way he's got the prayers and the punch. When it comes down to it, people have unfairly judged the Engineer to be absolutely useless in all but artillery control, which is wrong.

I know that the advice you've given is good advice, but it's good advice for an efficent list, and themed lists are never classified as efficient.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Well if themes are really the way you're going, then I can't give you any more advice. They're good as it is

Hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

+ Reply to Thread