1500pt. Empire Tourny, Help needed! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

1500pt. Empire Tourny, Help needed!

Army list for 1500pts.

Hero’s:

1 General
    Full Plate Mail, Shield, Barding, and Lance

1 Battle Standard Bearer
    Full Plate

Core:

25 Halberdiers Full command
    10 swordsmen detachment

10 swordsmen detachment

8 Knights Full command

Special:

25 Great swords Full command
    10 Halberdiers detachment

9 inner Circle Knights Full Command

Total: 1408pts.

This is my list so far….as you can tell I need some assistance in fine tuning it. The army will be heavily based off of Medieval 2: Total War, which happens to fit well with a Holy Roman Empire/Averland Theme, so that means that they have Halberdiers as their core, lots of "expensive" troops and have the best steeds in the empire. The plan is to have the Great Swords represent ZweiHander or Forlorn Hope, the smaller unit of knights as Teutonic Knights, and the gig unit of knights as Gothic Lancers and the Generals Bodyguard. I was thinking of fitting in some magic and some shooting, but I am not sure what I should do. Please feel free to comment on it, because I like to have rock solid lists.

"This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Are you going for no shooting?

Yeah, I think in a tourney, you'll be toasted in the magic phase (pun not intended...well, actually, it was).

I played a 1000 pt game today with my OK against a magicky O&G army and got fried. I had no magic defense, just one bruiser. Of course, my opponent was rolling the crap out of his dice, between 11 and 15 most of the game, no joke.

But yeah, that's going to hurt you.

I like the idea of the list, but I think it doesn't avail itself of all that Empire has to offer. The second unit of knights could be toned down. Are you going for an extra rank with it?

The BSB is really smart, needless to say.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

well, i think with the extra 100 pts left over is going for a wizard and dispel scrolls. Other than that, is it worth scraping the 8 knights, and get 2 cannons and some crossbows? In the actual game, i play very aggressive with heavy cavalry and tough as nails foot soldiers and rarely use shooting at all. Can a Empire army still be competative without massed amounts of shooting? I think that my 2000pt. List will definatly have 2 blocks of knights with some pistoliers (Reiters) as support, but i unfortunatly can only find battles with 1500pts. anyways. keep the comments coming!

"One Shot, One Kill"

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

I only have a couple of things to say, partly because I'm new to Empire (so I'm just re-spouting things I've read), and partly because it seems to be a decent enough list.

First up, the Knights. With the new 5 wide rule, formations are much bigger than they used to be. When you calculate the cost of a second rank for the knights, it's generally not considered worth it, you're better off with the War Banner for much less, or adding a second unit of knights to support them.

Second, if you look -=HERE=- (New Detachment formation (3x3)) you'll find a new formation/tactic for Empire detachments that I am recommending to anyone who uses 10 man detachments.

And finally, Cannons are generally the only real Monster killer that most Empire armies can use. Although they aren't technically necessary, it is very rare that an army doesn't have at least one in case of emergency.

Oh yeah, you might want to consider giving your General a magic item/weapon. Once again it's a "just in case" thing, but you can never be too careful.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

thanks for the advice mpdscott, that thing with the war banner was a really good idea. Ill be posting a revised list in a couple of days, but i have dropped the small unit of knights and have gotton some much needed shooting and magic.

"One Shot, One Kill"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off you need to change your General to a Captain. No Lords in 1500 Points.

Secondly you have no magic items, use them. Give your mounted Captain at least either Dawn Armor, Enchanted Shield, or Holy Relic. Your BSB should have something as well, Meteoric Iron and Sword of might is an excellent combination. At 1500 Points your heroes can make a big difference.

A warrior priest would make an excellent third hero choice, you will generate just as many dispel dice as with a wizard, and his own abilities are just as useful. Particularly if your a playing halberdiers and Greatswords, they become very dangerous with hatred. The Captain and the Warrior priest have the same ld. you could use him as your army general instead of the captain (who will be with the knights)

I would consider dropping your first group of Knights, but keep the IC ones if you need the extra points, or at least drop it to a five man group.

This is a very solid list, not many armies can field this many models in 1500. It should to well.
    Who brings a Hammerhead to a 500 point fight?!
    -Local 'Nid Player

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

If your going for a couple of cannons then I'd take mortars instead.

They're cheaper and generally more effective at killing. The downside is that you have to be a bit more accurate with your guesses, but after one or two shots you should be hitting your target within an inch of accuracy. Scatter can ruin your day but it's a large template so the effect of it is reduced somewhat when compared to normal stone throwers

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

Ok, with thought about the useful feedback, and some hard descisions, i have revised my list to 1500pts exactly. Also, on a side note, my "general" was a Captain, i was just thinking of indicating who my leader was.(which means i plain forgot ) I did use the right points for calculations though

Revised Army list for 1500pts.

Hero’s:

1 General(hero)
    Full Plate Mail, Shield, Barding, and Lance

1 Battle Standard Bearer
    Full Plate

1 battle wizard
    Level 2, Rod of power, wizards staff

Core:

10 swordsmen detachment

10 swordsmen detachment

10 hand gunners/crossbowmen ( havent decided which ones yet, but they are the same points for calculating stuff)

Special:

25 Great swords Full command
    10 Halberdiers detachment

9 inner Circle Knights Full Command

1 cannon

Total: 1500pts.

As you can see i have added a nasty wizard, and bascially just scrapped the other knights for shooting. My 2000pt. List will have the knightly orders and be more fluff oriented, but for the time being this is just right for me. Dont be afraid to comment again, or for the first time!:shifty:

"One Shot, One Kill"

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I really like this list. It looks very balanced and would make for a good game. Both to play with and against

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

That second list is an improvement certainly. I got little to comment upon.

For your missile troops; you said you wanted it themic. I'd take crossbowmen. I'm not an Empire player but I remember reading somewhere that Averlander crossbowmen were famed.

An idea would be to scrap the Greatswords' halbedier detachment. The detachment is good, but takes a lot of room. This way you can get the main blocks of infantry quite close to each other.
    I'd also free the points to form together with your current missile troops 2 crossbow/handgun detachments.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

+ Reply to Thread