2000pt Campaign Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pt Campaign Army

EDIT: Some point totals removed to respect GW copyright. ~DavidVC04

hello everyone,
    the army that I created is based on the College of Engineers in Altdorf. Being an Engineer myself is what inspired me for this idea to begin with. Now I know this is very much like a gun line army, but I tried to stick with my theme as much as possible.

Gertannon, Apprentice of Balthasar Gelt 150pts
    Level 2 Gold Wizard, General
    Dispel Scroll x2

Master Engineer Octavius 85
    Hochland Long-rifle

Master Engineer Dimitrius 85
    Hochland Long-rifle

Master Engineer Sirius 85
    Hochland Long-rifle

10xHandgunners 105
    Marksman w/Hochland Long-rifle

10xHandgunners 105

10xHandgunners 105

5xKnights of the Silver Cog

5xKnights of the Silver Cog

7xOutriders 168
    Champion w/Hochland Long-rifle

Cannon

Cannon

Mortar

Steam Tank

Steam Tank

total = 1993

Iknow that I am very light on models for an empire army, not much I can say about that with the exception that I feel that if engineers were to go to war they would take as many contraptions and big guns as possible. I like the knights as representing the elite guards that patrol the grounds of the campus while the handgunners would be more like the sentries, replacing pikemen or halberdiers in that role. I could have taken a helblaster or helstorm instead of the second steam tank, but with the engineers not being able to assist those weapons, they seem way to unpredictable. Besides, the engineers should be the ones to use two tanks since they maintain them.
    So far this army in the campiagn is 0-0-2, however my confidence is growing and I am getting the feel for my opponents armies.
    let me know what you guys think or suggestions, but please try to stick to the theme.
    thanks

Last edited by DavidWC09; February 15th, 2007 at 01:03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, i know youre goin for a theme, but of course you must realise that a steam tank is a steam tank, not a land raider crusader. They are tough, yes, they are scary, yes, they can win a fight themsemselves, not likely. They are excellent support, the best, but when they have nothing to support, they cannot be used most effectivley. Your army contains a total of 1 mortar more than mine (barring the steam tanks), and i never expect my shooting to beat my opponent. Shooting does not seem to be a game winner in this game unless it massively horded (100 handgunners etc). You should have a large spear unit, or something to anchor your army on. Perhaps more cavalry, or make 1 unit of 12 with a warbanner or the demon one so that they can destroy an enemy for sure. No lord either, perhaps a Wizard lord with 4 scrolls. This give you magical offense and a good defense.

If you do not wish to change your army, perhaps a different tactic will suit you better. Find a hill, place it in a corner and put all your shooters on it. Keep all your cav and tanks on 1 flank, and roll it up, those 4 units will destroy anything they touch, envelope 1 flank then move around and crush them from the rear. Im sure the long rifles are picking off characters but remember not always to go for the best character, but for the most useful, say fo example a hero's ability or items make his unit stubborn or immune to fear, they should die so that in the long run you have a better chance of destroying them. Another example is 3 necros and a vampire lord. Sure the lord is big and bad, but destroying 3 necros will hurt a lot and it will be MUCH easier.

Hope this helps.

Mike~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An update

An update!
    Finally got to play this list last night and it is now 1-0-2.
    Whoever said this list would not work couldn't have been more wrong. In the campaign I ended up taking on a guy thats playing Brettonian's and we happened to be fighting on his territory where he was supported by two of his allies so he had 2400pts vs. my 2000pts. When I saw him placing his army, I was sure I was going to lose - he had a ten man squad of pegasus knights! as well as 3-4 other large squads of knights, two wizards, a trebuchet, some archers, a general mounted on a pegasus, and some other stuff.
    I ended up just pulling out a minor victory, it was pretty close. essentially all I had left was the two tanks and he had less than half of his archers, a 6 of a 9man knight squad, 2 of a 5 man knight squad and his trebuchet.
    It was an incredibly fun game for both sides and we are going to end up fighting each other again soon.
    thanks Lord Kroak.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

It's a really interesting list. I've never seen one with a similar build, and it looks like it'd be a real pain in the arse to play against. It's hard to get VPs when so many of them are tied up in Steam Tanks!
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks David, I tried to make an army that I haven't seen before and would be fun to play. Unfortunately the trend of using two steam tanks is becoming more popular (have seen three army lists since posting mine that use two steam tanks). Atleast no one seems really dedicated to the engineers though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

That's true. A lot of people seemed turned off by Empire Engineers. If I were going to do an Empire list, it'd be a religious nutjob list with lots of priests, flaggellants and the like.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread