Handgunners or xbows? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Handgunners

18 54.55%
  • X-bowmen

17 51.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handgunners or xbows?

Hello All,

I have long been an advocate of the handgun.

Ever since using my first army of dwarves, handgunners have always been a staple unit in my force.

I have in recent times, however, found my attentions moving towards x-bowmen.

The handgun does indeed give the additional -1 to armour saves, but the x-bow`s bonuses are mounting up!

Reasons for x-bows

1) Longer range gives turn 1 shooting and enables the army to match distance shooting versus woodelves.

2) Rule change for Empire handgunners, means no extra D6" to range in turn one, meaning absolutely no turn 1 shooting.

3) Ability to fire at enemy artillery which is usually deployed just out of range of the hangunners

I would very much like to hear peoples experiences, ideas, comments on this one!

The Herts & Essex Blood Bowl League - 30 active members and still looking to expand!

Check out our website at http://www.hebbl.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crossbows

In my opinion I think crossbows are better. Like you said, they are in range from turn one and then can heap fire on other armies missile units as well as regular troops.

I really like them, buts that's just me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my vote just went for Xbows, then again, I'v only just started with Empire and have never used the handgunners.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Well, usually I tend to field both

But basically it boils down to whether or not you're gonna face armoured troops, especially heavy cavalry. Any armour modifier will come in very handy, so better have some handguns ready :w00t:
    And, to some limited extend, also against those infantry which can equip heavy armor and shields. Whilst a crossbow already reduces it to a 5+ save, two rounds of rather lucky armour rolls will lay waste to your plans on diminuishing them :cry: whereas the reduction to 6+ due to armour piercing (passing all 6+ saves in two consecutive rounds is very unlikely, and even if it happens, just congratulate you opponent on his luck (or check for cheating dice, if need be :ninja: ))

Oh, and another pro for Handgunners would be the Hochland Long Rifle availability for the unit champion (the other option for him are not nearly as good/useful)
    It ain't easy bein' green... :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently working on an army for GT qualifiers and so do not have the luxury of knowing my opponant before hand (Worse luck!!)

So i am looking for the all round best option.

I have been using as missile support,

2x units of 10 handgunners with long rifles in both.

2 x units of 5 outriders with long rifles in both.

I initially used the handgunners for the long rifle option, but have so far not even caused a wound with four rifle shots per turn!!

So am looking at the flexibilty of the x-bows now.

Maybe one unit of each is the way to go?!
    The Herts & Essex Blood Bowl League - 30 active members and still looking to expand!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

You've also forgotten that crossbowmen get into short range first which means more hit. So really the additional -1 to AS from handgunners is levelled out.

Definately do not take outriders. They are awful, esp. with hochland long rifles. Look at how many points you're paying for them.

I would just go with the crossbowmen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Crossbowmen.

the extra 6" range is more valuable than the extra -1 to armour save.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

I personally think you should go for neither and equip your ranged units with frisbees and bunchs of flowers. Then I won't get gunned down mercilessly running across the field at you :w00t:
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come now Lurch, you know me better than that!!

If i were to follow your request they would be laser guided explo-a-frisbee`s and proximity flower mines :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both. Use the xbows to get extra range shots/short range first, and use the handgunners for power/;heavy cav killers. You need to do this especially of you don't know who your're facing.

Also, go with pistoliers (spelling?), instead of outriders

cheers,

"Like frenzied beasts, they was. But I tell you, there was never a sweeter sound than the howls of the Wulfen that night."
    Sgt. Pridman, veteran of the Tlax slaughter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast