Greatswords vs. Flagellants - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatswords vs. Flagellants

I have been working on an Empire list for some time now and I keep running into this probple. I can't decide if it would be better to bring greatswords or flagellants. Both are appealing to me and I have had trouble deciding. Right now I have 40 Flagellants in my 3000pt list. Any comments about Greatswords or Flagellants are appreciated.

That's right, llamas can parachute.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my list I just run both! I have an Arch lector though so I can run one unit of flagellants as a core choice.

They both have different uses though:

Flagellants are a tar pit, they tie up a unit and can be very good on the offensive, plus being unbreakable is one of the most useful things in the game.

Greatswords are there to dish out the pain and take some due to their plate armour. Also due to their stubborn rule they are really reliable.

Both together can form a really solid centre for an army.

It really depends on what you want for your army, a tar-pit or flashy high strength killers!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I think it depends on your army composition.

Actually, you really have to build your army around either one.

Flagellants are the ultimate tarpit. The problem is that they provide easy CR for the opponent when you hit his flanks.

Greatswords need to be built around. They need a lot of support, a BSB and such. The benefit is that they can take a charge with their detachments and they don't give up easy CR. The downfall of course is that you can't rely on them 100%.

I find greatswords can easily make your army one sided in 2k points. In 3k though you would most definately want to have a BSB anyway and so they could be a great center piece for your infantry units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the Flagellants are a tar-pit, but they die quite easily as they are not armoured like your usual Chaos Knight :sleep: But they have their uses.

As for Greatswords, I always have them in my armies. DotR mentioned that Greatswords need to be built around, and this is somewhat true. But they are one of the deadliest units in the Empire arsenal, especially if you're like me and don't favour the Empire gunline army. Trust me, that army is boring to play with and against... Infantry is the way to go!

- Loran

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Flaggies will hold enemy units.

Greatswords (with detachments) will beat enemy units.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

For one part, it just doesn't get cooler than suicidal religious fanatics bent on destruction. I love the fluff behind the flagellants, and the new minis are just too much fun. That said, I agree that Greatswords are probably the better unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a fan of either.

Flagllents: Only good on the charg othewise they are just a points sink. Minimum need is 20 which is 220 plus prophet which i believe is 12 points. The unit itself is good but WS2 and the lack of the T4 they used to have has turned them into nothing but a speed bump. They are a costly speed bump as well which is why i do not take them.

Greatswords: Requires a Character to be assigned to the unit needs detachments and if it doesn't have detachments it is screwed. Now hopefully you break your opponent on turn 1 of the combat so you don't have to take too many casualties at 10pts a model casualties are bad.

I myself prefer the massive blocks of infantry game with few knights and artillery support. What this does if done right is shows no flank to your opponent thus fast cavalry is canceled out in turn one now all you have to do is kill them. If you are lucky enough and your tactics are sound you just clap the enemy in a pincer.
    "He made it look easy. Even though it never was. He never stopped fighting for what he believed in...or for what he believed his country should be."-Captain America the Death of a Dream

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by HP Soundwave View Post
    I am not a fan of either.

Really? They both have their uses, I think all Empire combat units should have 2 detachments.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread