My Empire Are Dying Horribly! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

My Empire Are Dying Horribly!

Ok I've been trying out my empire on Lorenz at a real points size (2000) rather than the 700 odd I own and I've lost every game. I've only really been versing Tomb Kings so far.

So I thought I'd ask a few things here (if any of em have obvious answers then...to bad ).

1. Carrion keep flying over me! they go forwards turn 1, staying out charge range. Then they just fly over behind me. They then eat my artillery whilst the flying tomb king charges things like knights that really don't like getting charged. How do I stop this!

2. If I don't get a hill should my guns be trying for the best line of sight possible and to hell with my melee units? should my guns then flee if charged?

3. How do I stop those damn scorpions from below? they always charge stuff in the rear or eat my handgunners.

4. The tomb kings stack up everything on one side of the board and leave some chariots on the other. I can't counter this effectively without my horde getting in the way of each other. If the one flank comes around to help the other and try to circle his army the chariots storm in from the side and just roll over my state troops (or the flying king butchers the knights).

5. What schools of magic would be best?

I currently use 110 Models, 4 characters (3 wizards and an arch lector) and 3 artillery.

Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomb kings can be a little tricky.

I play both Empire and tomb kings.

I have found the best way to deal with the tomb kings, is in the way you deploy.

If you deploy virtually on the baseline, firstly they cannot fly in behind you, second they will have to come to you, or get shot to ribbons and they dont move very fast!!

With a decent amount of artillery and good magic defense, coupled with a defensive deployment posture, the tomb king player will find it very difficult to even get across the table in six turns, let alone cause many problems.

The scorpions are always a bit of a pain, but them tomb kings need something good to make them playable!

with a defensive posture, only your artillery pieces will be vunerable, your larger units will beat the scorpion on combat res alone.

If you want to be pro active, and try not loosing all of your artillery, choose some pistoliers, to harrass it the moment it surfaces.

Also if you know you will be facing undead, make as many units immune to psychology / cause fear, as is possible to prevent that auto running crap.
    Last edited by muppetconstrictor; September 4th, 2007 at 14:24.
    The Herts & Essex Blood Bowl League - 30 active members and still looking to expand!

Check out our website at http://www.hebbl.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

and 3 artillery.
    What artillery are you using?

In fact, do you have an army list that you more or less always use? If you post that we could give you some more list specific tactics.

muppetconstrictor was about right though, if you deploy as far back as possible whilst leaving you artilleries lanes of fire open, he won't have most of his chariots and ushabti etc left by them time he gets to you.

Then keep your infantry units centred with the general in or near the middle to combat his fear causing models. Infantry units should also all have detachments and be 25 models strong for combat resolution AND most importantly so he doesn't end up outnumbering you if he beats you in combat.

Use your knights on the flanks to combat ushabti mainly. They have a greater charge range and with a character leading them for leadership and extra kills should break through them and you will then find yourself behind him.

choose some pistoliers, to harrass it the moment it surfaces.
    Some pistoliers with a repeater handgun in their or a small unit of outriders will squash that big bug in no time....or at least severely dent its undead carapace.

But a list would be a much better starting point,

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Arch Lector on War Alter
    3 Battle Wizards
    20 Flagellants
    20 Swordsmen /w 10 Free Company
    20 Halberdiers /w 10 Free Company
    10 Handgunners /w 2x5 Handgunners
    2x5 Knights
    2x Great cannon
    Helstorm

Thats a rough summary of what I use, upgrades change regularly.

So it seems the best thing is just close up the gap behind me by moving backwards. Will do.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

255 (x6)

Crossbowman will help you shoot down his carrion as they can shoot farther. You only have to kill a couple to make him take those checks at leadership 4 (they aren't undead right?). I don't really care for free companies, I prefer halberdiers. You cannons should be able to get rid of a a chariot or two a turn. Shooting at them tends to decimate them. What you might want to try is having your handgunners as detachments for you other units instead of as detatchments for handgunner units. They are all bunched up in one area, if they are spread out you might be able to shoot more targets and have a tactical advantage. Priests are nice in Knight squads because it makes sure they hit, and they still have a bound spell they can cast to waste people's dispell dice. Lore of beasts would be nice because it has some protections against cavalry, chariots, and their carrions. Lore of fire is always helpful to get rid of those annoying flankers and rank bonuses...heh heh "flammable." Lore of light has a couple things that screw with undead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Lore of light has a couple things that screw with undead.
    Lore of light is excellent against undead.

Arch Lector on War Alter
    Not a fan of the war alter, i think the arch lector is more useful on a barded horse with a unit of knights or something.

20 Swordsmen /w 10 Free Company
    20 Halberdiers /w 10 Free Company
    10 Handgunners /w 2x5 Handgunners
    Halberdiers shouldn't be in such big units. Far better for them to be swordsmen as they are almost as damaging in combat but they are more survivable.

And i agree with frozencore that the free company don't really make good detachments.

Each parent unit should have two detachments, one halberds one of missile troops.

And i'm not sure i understand the handgunners part. Is it 2 units of 5 or what?

If it is, it shouldn't be, 5 is to small, always make it 10 even if only 5 are firing.

Helstorm
    Perhaps a hellblaster instead. The helstorm tends to fly around the board missing things most of the time. Far better to have something that is dangerous all the time than devastating only every now and then.

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I disagree with the above posters slightly. Swordsmen are the best infantry the empire has. Swordsment in units of 25-30 with 8-10 swordmen as detachments. Handgunners aren't needed really except for maybe one unit to shoot at carrion and a hochland longrifle to shoot his hierophant. Carrion don't have to take leadership/panic tests - they are undead. You can beat them in combat though by charging them or shooting them. Pistoliers would work well because they can flee from the charge, rally and move and shoot again next turn. Cannons work well to take out screaming catapults, chariots and scorpians (don't forget about the flame template at close range) The archlector WALTER is perfect against TK. You guys don't know what you're talking about. Frankly, your 2000pt list out-magics the tombking list, meaning they will have a hard time getting their magic off. If you want to be super cheesy, give the AL van horstmans, charge him into an important unit and kill the tomb prince/king hierophant, whatever. The thing is unbreakable, throws off 3 bound spells in a turn and then you have 3 wizards to boot (which have doomfire ring and the rod of power I'm assuming) Frankly, this is overkill in my estimation, but that's just me. The WALTER can crush scorpians like hot butter and run through any unit of skellies, just make sure you don't get him stuck on a worthless unit like skellie archers or something. The reason the swords are better is that they get a 4+ armor save and are harder to hit/die in close combat. None of the empire heroes or units are "killers" but they should be able to survive in combat against tomb kings and then kill them slowly. remember if you kill their hierophant (he's a wuss) then their army falls apart. If he brings that box that shoots lasers out of it, shoot it with a cannon or put your WALTER in LOS and it will be useless except to give you VP.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Snoball: I think he means that he has 10 gunners, with two detachments of 5 more gunners. It's a good idea when you want extra guns, but it would be better to put those rifle detachments with your melee troops. They can help more there, because they will get to stand and shoot.
    I agree with snoball about the Helblaster over the Helstorm.

Also, I agree that there's no point in taking that expensive war-altar when you could put the lector on a horse with your knights. But furthermore, why are you taking him as a Lord, when you could get a Wizard Lord? You need to focus on number of bodies here, so why take all those points in characters. Try to find a cheaper way to go heavy-magic.
    I like the knights, possibly reduce it to a unit of 5 if you haven't done that already. Get pistoliers if you can- they are really an excellent unit. I never leave home without them.

You asked what to do if you can't get a hill: simple really. Put your cannons between your melee units, spread out a bit amidst your lines. same goes for gunners, maybe even in a single-line screen right across your armie's front. Then yes, your gunners can flee, pulling the charge onto the units behind them.
    If you do get the hill, I'd advise on deploying only a few of your missile troops on it. That way you don't have all your eggs in one basket when the scorpion shows up.

If you really want to be mean, use the Split Deployment tactic. I can really see this working for Empire, even though it was designed for 40K. It's going to make his army seem even slower!
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread