Greatswords and Flagellants - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatswords and Flagellants

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone out there had any advice as to how these two units can be used most effectivly, I'm building up a Sigmar Themed army with these two units used as the center peice, in 1K i so far have 1 20 man sised Greatswords and i am still creating 2 20 strong flaggie units.

My hope is that they will work as each other hammer AND anvil, so no matter which is charged the other can dish out some tasty flank pain.

Any suggestions as to how best use them together?

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Well my initial suggestion would be to not use them together. They both perform a similar role and are expensive so you only really need 1.

I would say 1k is too low to even be using 1 unit of them, let alone 2. Definitely plan your army for 2k.

The greatswords make a great center. Get a BSB and 2 detachments of 10-12 swordsmen.

The flagellants are a tar pit with potential. Personally I like them more than the greatswords b/c you don't need as much with them (like a BS. Though you'll have a hard time winning combats b/c they will be slaughtered easily. They're best for tying up uber units. And if your opponent ignores them he'll get walloped. 18 is a good unit size for flagellants. 6x3.

If you're teaming them up with greatswords then you could take 2 units of 12. 6x2 each and have them run up the flanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Similar roles? In my experience with them they perform to completely different roles. Flaggellents are unbreakable, which means you can rely on the to not run away. Greatswords have great weapons and full plate, so you can rely on them to help win combats. 20 greatswords is too many, 10 or so would be fine. If you are using them together you would have flagellants take the charge from something like knights and then charge in your unit of greatswords into their flank to win combat. Pretty basic strategy, but it works well. Don't look beyond you state troops, as they are cheap and add numbers and ranks to your army. Swordsmen are always great choices, and you can think of them as greatswords in training if you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest fielding flagellants in units of 20 minimum, but even 30 is better, because they are meant to stay as long as they can, and also fielding them at front 6 could ( with some nice sacrifice that provides rerollable hits and wounds ) make them win some combats.

For greatswords it depends on the role you want to assign them: if they want to be a support unit like chaos warriors, then i'd field 7x2, with champion only, to maximise attacks, but if they are meant to take charges, they should be at least 6x4 with full command.

You could even use detachments to lure units to be charged by the greatswords...

Bye!
    It's better, it's shiny, it's warped...it's Chaos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Any unbreakable unit is a royal pain in the arse. Flagellants are worth their points, especially with the bonuses they get as martyrs, if you even want to use that.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

i've never used flaggellants, but if I did, I would run them as compact as I could. They die so easy that it seems that they would need to be a sizeable amount so they don't get wiped out in one turn but not so big, that they are a point sink. 30 seems like too many (300pts!)

Keep them 5 wide, they are so slow that they shouldn't get the charge, and they are so weak, you really can't expect them to kill anything. they only win if someone comes in and flanks the unit. I would be worried that I would get 2 units killed instead of one.

Personally I think the detachment system is probably better. I would probably also run the flags smaller units. Either they hold the enemy up for 1 turn and allow you to flank the other unit, or they don't. It makes more sense to me to run them small (12 men) and then they either work, or they don't. That way you don't lose a ton of points if something backfires.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

What about running flagellants 6 wide?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

I run my flaggies 7x2 and think thats good enough. Really to spend points on a 30 man unit is insane. Sure they are unbreakable and such but they are still normal humans with no armor and even worse WS. Plus they are very vulnerable to shooting so you should get them an archer screen and such.

Still flaggies are very effective on the charge with their flails and the martyr rule and frenzy. Then just let them tarpit the unit till some knights come along and flank charge em or one of your blocks.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Actually, I've run a unit of 20 in 1K. They're better than you think. As well as a solid rock for the enemies to run into, they also provide an excellent hard-hitting unit. If they get the charge, they inevitably win by lots and as long as the enemy isn't Unbreakable, they should flee.

Just watch out for frenzy, a clever opponent will use that to his advantage to pull your Flaggies out of position.

As for Greatswords, I only tried them once (as a proxy). The unit of 10 got smashed by Fanatics, leaving only the Counts Champion. He held off an entire unit for a ridiculous amount of turns, only dying when the Captain ran for it and my opponent could focus more attacks on him.

-AFG

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

who in their right mind would let you charge them with flaggellants. Dwarves/undead are the only ones who could care less or get caught in that.

Why do you run them so wide? to catch other units or block LOS?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast