Is bringing Magic worth it verse Dwarfs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is bringing Magic worth it verse Dwarfs?

Dwarfs have a lot of anti-magic stuff so should ye even bother playing it. I mean the player will usually bring his anti-magic anyway and wouldn't just be a waste for him if ye didn't bring it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the time, you usually don't wanna bring magic against dwarves. Because either it'll get dispelled, or it won't work. Other times, it never hurts to carry it, same for magical items that have a power level. Since if you get lucky, he might fail his dispell roll and boom. You've now got some magic working in your favor.

The biggest thing is to learn when and when not to bring magic against dwarves.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

just a little note

the MOST dispel dice a dwarf player can possibly bring in the 2000-2999 points range is 10 with –1 from your power pool. And that’s every character slot dedicated to it.

the most dangerous amount of dispel on the other hand is 9 with +3 to dispel, all remains in play spells within 12” of the BSB being auto dispelled at the start of the dwarf players turn and -1 from your powerdice pool. probably some dispel runes too (scrolls).

however its general practice for dwarf players to have 6 dispel dice with one stolen from your power pool. a second runesmith with some dispel runes isn't unheard of mind you (I myself use 2 due to the silly levels of magic at my wargaming club)

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Come on, the dwarves only get 4 basic dispel dice plus any from runesmiths and runelords which also take away from other character slots. They also don't cast either.

With a modest amount of power dice you should get a decent number of spells through.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

i think the trick is to either go very magic heavy or not bother at all, a couple of low strength wizards are unlikely to hurt dwarfs but also remember that a lot of Dwarf players get a bit blase about magic, so you dont get too many Runesmiths and even fewer Runelords in lower level lists, so some powerful Empire wizards could definatly work- just expect a lot of your spells to be dispelled.

If you take some wizards id recommend using the Lore of Metal (i think thats the one i mean!)- is very nasty, particularly if your opponent has Ironbreakers or similar in their list
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

tbh I've had my Dwarf army decimated by a Lvl 2 Little Waaagh! Night Gobbo Wizard. Granted, his dice rolls were nothing shy of legendary and mine were utterly pitiful but with 2 of those Wizards, they would have really done something.

Empire magic is nasty. Take a WP with the Ring of Volans, and a Lvl 2 Wizard of horrible-doom-based Lore with the Rod of Power and a Power Stone and oooohhhh, one Dwarf player just got showed up. Of course, a Lector would really help here.

If you'd normally go Mage-heavy against anyone, go ahead. Their magic defense isn't all it's cracked up to be IMO (that said, I've never used a Runesmith). Chaos does better at magic defense if you ask me (the Mark of Khorne on every unit kills magic dead).

-AFG

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Well, it's worth bringing if you can still have a spell or maybe two go off each phase, but I'd want to make sure I wasn't relying on magic to accomplish a lot. If you overcompensate for the magic, then you might forego other elements of army comp that would help you win.

For me, I don't rely on magic anyhow with my wood elves, but wih my ogres, I do. It's tough against Dwarfs, but eight power dice in an ogre army needing 3's to go off, well something's going to get through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

458 (x8)

Agreed. Empire are the only army that can realistically go toe-to-toe with Dwarves in an Artillery battle (OK, other Dwarves can but that's beside the point). Take advantage of it.

Likewise, the Detachment system means Dwarf Infantry is hard pressed to beat ours (OK, their Elite Infantry stand more of a chance but hey).

By all means take some power dice to the game, but don't neglect other advantages that we have.

-AFG

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

as it was mentioned (I think) either go big or don't bring any. It depends on your area and what kind of lists they usually bring (the 6DD -1 is common around here) But I've destroyed many a dwarven army with 2 level 2s or 1 big level4. Rod of power is your friend (save your dispel dice = more power dice) power stones also work. If you run an arch lector on war alter, you almost have to run 2 lvl2's or his prayers are worthless. Lore of metal has shut down war machines for me, and killed units below half strength (the #6 spell eats gromil armor for breakfast)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool

thanks for the imput I will take it under advisment, I kind of want to play an all mage army to see what it would be like, ye know for fun I have I believe one of each mage type so it is possible.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast